Income for Radiation Oncologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

z_squared

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there... I just discovered this site, and it is awesome. I was hoping that someone (stephew!?!) might be able to give me some ideas as to how much Radiation Oncologists make in the U.S.

I know that there is obviously a great deal of variation (moreso than there is here in Canada), but a general idea is what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!
Dr. Zee

Members don't see this ad.

z_squared said:
Hi there... I just discovered this site, and it is awesome. I was hoping that someone (stephew!?!) might be able to give me some ideas as to how much Radiation Oncologists make in the U.S.

I know that there is obviously a great deal of variation (moreso than there is here in Canada), but a general idea is what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!
Dr. Zee

Really depends on location, but if you look at average income levels it is about the same as radiologists, around 200K - 300K, more or slightly less. I know in California where I am from this tends to be a little lower, whereas in more rural areas in the US this may be higher (ie Alaska).

z_squared said:

Thanks so much!
Dr. Zee
I forgot which website it was.. i just tried looking for it. but it was called radiology world or something... basically it had actual postings for positions available around the US and they gave pay rates. i can't find it!!!! eeek

Members don't see this ad :)
it realyl varies but 200-300 to start is about right depending upon location and private/academic.

Hey stephew,

If those are the starting salaries, what does a RadOnc make after making partner? In addition, what are other benefits like loan repayment and vacation time like?

Lastly, has RadOnc ALWAYS been like this? I mean have they always been making $300,000-$400,000 while working 40-50 hour weeks with minimal call? Its hard to imagine RadOnc not being more popular; when you couple these benefits with the chance to help people with such a horrific disease.

MIKEJACK5 said:
Hey stephew,

If those are the starting salaries, what does a RadOnc make after making partner? In addition, what are other benefits like loan repayment and vacation time like?

mikejack5's question is a good one... in particular, I was just wondering if anyone could explain how for example, this Dr. Fuks was able to own $5.3 million in shares in a single company (no doubt part of a bigger portfolio), and how he was able to post $10 million in bail. Not to linger on an unsavoury subject, but it did raise questions in the head of colleagues... How good CAN it get for a Rad Onc?

MIKEJACK5 said:
Hey stephew,

Lastly, has RadOnc ALWAYS been like this? I mean have they always been making $300,000-$400,000 while working 40-50 hour weeks with minimal call? Its hard to imagine RadOnc not being more popular; when you couple these benefits with the chance to help people with such a horrific disease.

Im an academic so i dont think about that stuff. And it varies again site to site, practice to practice. Radon cis one of the most difficult specialites to get into but most dont know about it> Its always been high paying but only recently students are more aware of it. ill refer you to the FAQ for more on this topic. However remember: while they're nothing wrong with pragmatism in career choice, pick youre career because you care about it and like it. You may not enjoy it otherwise and you certainly will be a subpar doctor.

MIKEJACK5 said:
Hey stephew,

Are you kidding? Rad Onc is more popular than ever and I predict it will be almost unattainable in a few years unless you start doing Rad Onc research when you are a freshman in college. It's probably harder than plastics and definitely harder than derm b/c you are competing against people who have done buttloads of research. I was interested in it at the end of 3rd year but there was no way in hell I would even get an interview!

Anyway, the Rad Oncs at the hospital I rotate at make from 500,000-2 Mill. As you can imagine, they love their job!

I think he was asking why only recently has it become ridiculously competitive if their salary/hour ratio has always been as outrageous as it is currently. I dont have the answer to that question, except maybe that rad onc is perhaps a young specialty that has finally grown into its own. you should ask what decade did rad onc start training as many residents as it does now?

golgi said:
Are you kidding? Rad Onc is more popular than ever and I predict it will be almost unattainable in a few years unless you start doing Rad Onc research when you are a freshman in college. It's probably harder than plastics and definitely harder than derm b/c you are competing against people who have done buttloads of research. I was interested in it at the end of 3rd year but there was no way in hell I would even get an interview!

Anyway, the Rad Oncs at the hospital I rotate at make from 500,000-2 Mill. As you can imagine, they love their job!

I think Rad Onc still lags behind derm and plastics a bit in competitiveness. In Rad Onc, you don't have to be AOA or the top of your class to get in. Being weak academically, but having strong research will help you get interviews. However, it is very rare that a student with weak grades will have a chance at getting into derm (sans inside connections). In fact, I know many AOAs who don't match anywhere in derm. Plastics is even a smaller match than rad onc, so I think it's still more competitive.

golgi said:

um, not quite of this world. BTW- if they need 500k-2M to love their job, that's pretty desparate.

stephew said:
um, not quite of this world. BTW- if they need 500k-2M to love their job, that's pretty desparate.

I'm sorry Steph but I think you may be a little "out of the loop." I think you are underestimating how hard it is to get into rad onc. These "weaker" candidates you talk about that match into rad onc without AOA, etc...are usually MD/PhDs who have toiled in academics for 5-8 years...or people with respectable grades (maybe not AOA but still great students with high board scores) who did significant research...

Most of my friends got 0-4 interviews and they were great students with research.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with loving your job AND making a ton of money in the process...

golgi said:
I'm sorry Steph but I think you may be a little "out of the loop." I think you are underestimating how hard it is to get into rad onc. These "weaker" candidates you talk about that match into rad onc without AOA, etc...are usually MD/PhDs who have toiled in academics for 5-8 years...or people with respectable grades (maybe not AOA but still great students with high board scores) who did significant research...

Most of my friends got 0-4 interviews and they were great students with research.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with loving your job AND making a ton of money in the process...
Yes I must be out of the loop. that must be it. Can someone cut that sucker open and let me back in please?

golgi said:

Steph is about as "in the loop" as a person can get. She was heavily involved in the application/interview process at Hopkins and is an attending now at MGH and I assumed is also involved in the selection process. She knows how hard it is (and stated multiple times how difficult it would be herself to get in in the current times) and does not underestimate it. I don't think anybody nowadays underestimates the competitiveness. She was merely stressing the interview process and various x-factors.

scootad. said:
I think he was asking why only recently has it become ridiculously competitive if their salary/hour ratio has always been as outrageous as it is currently. I dont have the answer to that question, except maybe that rad onc is perhaps a young specialty that has finally grown into its own. you should ask what decade did rad onc start training as many residents as it does now?

Yeah, thats what I was asking. I know its an incredibly popular career choice right now, but I was asking Steph if it has always been like that.

MIKEJACK5 said:
Yeah, thats what I was asking. I know its an incredibly popular career choice right now, but I was asking Steph if it has always been like that.
no it wasn't competitive 10 years ago at all. why did it become so? no one really can say but there were some points i put in the faq that im too lazy to retype now.