Income numbers from WSJ Article. Accurate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wsj.physician.jpg

So I just read this article from the WSJ called "In Search of More Primary-Care Doctors"

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303902404579151510997182566

There is a box in the article that has income figures for various fieds. Are they accurate? One of the sources was Merritt-Hawkins, which makes me think they are inflated.

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think they're horribly inaccurate. But bear in mind that the confidence intervals on these surveys are broad and flat so you'll see plenty of jobs $100K on either side of those means.

Also remember that those aren't starting salaries but all salaries. And it only takes a few 20+ year partners to skew the curves to the right, obscuring reality.

I don't think they're horribly inaccurate. But bear in mind that the confidence intervals on these surveys are broad and flat so you'll see plenty of jobs $100K on either side of those means.

Also remember that those aren't starting salaries but all salaries. And it only takes a few 20+ year partners to skew the curves to the right, obscuring reality.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, 300K starting for Neurology? LOL. No way. I would imagine that a 20-year Neurologist, who is VERY successful, earns that. And Pediatrics? No way. Not unless the Peds doc is working like 60+ hours per week.

Members don't see this ad :)
300K starting for Neurology seems about right where I am (coast). IM also seems right but if they mix hospitalist and outpatient. I don't know much about the other fields.

I mean that's probably pretty legit for an IM guy doing out-patient primary care. No call. No weekends. Especially if just working as employed.

300K starting for Neurology seems about right where I am (coast). IM also seems right but if they mix hospitalist and outpatient. I don't know much about the other fields.

Wow. Neurologists really do that well?

Wow. Neurologists really do that well?

Small sample size from people I know, but yeah. BUT, they work almost like hospitalist hours but don't have weeks off regularly, plus have call etc.

In other words, don't do it for the money :)