Medical Incoming M1, pregnant, due in September - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have an acceptance to an MD school set to start this August. I'm a married non-trad (28-32 yo) due this September with my first child. I have already decided to forgo deferral (deadline has passed) and am planning to start in a couple months My mother will live with me full time for as long as needed to help take care of the baby (husband and I will do long distance).

When should I inform my medical school of my situation? Who do I reach out to? I am not sure how long I will be given for labor + delivery. My problem is that I have not yet committed to enroll at the school and do not want to jeopardize my acceptance. I am still on a WL at another school that would allow me to live with my husband so while I understand it is not the best to delay CTE (July deadline), it is worth the small chance we have to be able live/raise a family together for the next 4 years.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! General advice about raising kids during medical school is also much appreciated.
Contact the school's office of student services

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they can’t rescind your acceptance because you’re pregnant, that would be an automatic lawsuit. Reach out now.

I actually think this is also a situation where you should reach out to the school you’re on the waitlist at if you haven’t already. You have a legit reason for wanting to go there beyond “I want to go to a better school.” I would probably just mention your husband and not the baby though. It probably won’t work, but if you’re right there on the bubble for the next person to get off the WL it could be a tiebreaker, as adcoms aren’t totally heartless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.