incoming medical student, worried

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by DocLove06, May 27, 2008.

1. DocLove06

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I will be an MS-1 this fall and have an interest in anesthesiology. I did a search on this forum and am worried about the future of this profession. CRNAs? Automated anesthesia systems? Low future reimbursements? Please tell me that I am overly paranoid and that MD/DOs will have a promising future in anesthesiology.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. fascinoma

fascinoma destined for excision...
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    By the time you're an MSIII or IV, anesthesiologists will have been replaced by highly advanced--dare I say--turtles. yes, i was watching the discovery channel the other day (okay, everyday) and i saw a special about how some turtles may show some signs of higher intelligence. undoubtedly insurance companies watched the same special--it's not like they have work to do--and are trying to harness that little brain capacity (the turtles, not their own) to replace us.

my one piece of advice: dermatology. have you seen the threads in their forums? No mention of robots, nurses, or evolving reptiles. it usually reads something like this: "Help! Only making $750k working 8 hours a week!" :laugh:

really, though: study hard and do well on the boards. in the mean time, i agree with the above post: do another search. all the answers to medical school and life lie within these forums. long live gas!

by the way: congrats on being accepted to med school! the tough part is over...as is life as you know it. :laugh:

6. sevo85288

sevo85288 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Great reply. As long as people need surgery, they will need anesthesiologists. But we occupy a seat in the Bus of Medicine. If this bus goes over the cliff we will all get hurt. Not just anesthesia.

7. DreamLover

DreamLover Bored Certified
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This made me laugh, and I needed to laugh

And it's funny you say that about turtles because I heard snakes were taking over HMOs....

Tell me more about these turtles...they seem fascinating!!!

8. amyl

amyl ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you cannot make this decision for money, lifestyle, etc. I know you think I can put up with anything if it pays the bills, but in my experience, that thinking is naive. if you like anesthesia and/or one of its fellowships then its for you. if not, not. no one can speculate successfully as to the future...for every doc or person who tells you anesthesia is finished for xyz reason you will find one who will tell you there is nothing to worry about.
    enjoy your last few days of freedom and sleep before med school starts.... best of luck