incoming medical student, worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocLove06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an MS-1 this fall and have an interest in anesthesiology. I did a search on this forum and am worried about the future of this profession. CRNAs? Automated anesthesia systems? Low future reimbursements? Please tell me that I am overly paranoid and that MD/DOs will have a promising future in anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

deadhorse.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be an MS-1 this fall and have an interest in anesthesiology. I did a search on this forum and am worried about the future of this profession. CRNAs? Automated anesthesia systems? Low future reimbursements? Please tell me that I am overly paranoid and that MD/DOs will have a promising future in anesthesiology.

By the time you're an MSIII or IV, anesthesiologists will have been replaced by highly advanced--dare I say--turtles. yes, i was watching the discovery channel the other day (okay, everyday) and i saw a special about how some turtles may show some signs of higher intelligence. undoubtedly insurance companies watched the same special--it's not like they have work to do--and are trying to harness that little brain capacity (the turtles, not their own) to replace us.

my one piece of advice: dermatology. have you seen the threads in their forums? No mention of robots, nurses, or evolving reptiles. it usually reads something like this: "Help! Only making $750k working 8 hours a week!" :laugh:

really, though: study hard and do well on the boards. in the mean time, i agree with the above post: do another search. all the answers to medical school and life lie within these forums. long live gas!

by the way: congrats on being accepted to med school! the tough part is over...as is life as you know it. :laugh:

By the time you're an MSIII or IV, anesthesiologists will have been replaced by highly advanced--dare I say--turtles. yes, i was watching the discovery channel the other day (okay, everyday) and i saw a special about how some turtles may show some signs of higher intelligence. undoubtedly insurance companies watched the same special--it's not like they have work to do--and are trying to harness that little brain capacity (the turtles, not their own) to replace us.

my one piece of advice: dermatology. have you seen the threads in their forums? No mention of robots, nurses, or evolving reptiles. it usually reads something like this: "Help! Only making $750k working 8 hours a week!" :laugh:

really, though: study hard and do well on the boards. in the mean time, i agree with the above post: do another search. all the answers to medical school and life lie within these forums. long live gas!

by the way: congrats on being accepted to med school! the tough part is over...as is life as you know it. :laugh:

Great reply. As long as people need surgery, they will need anesthesiologists. But we occupy a seat in the Bus of Medicine. If this bus goes over the cliff we will all get hurt. Not just anesthesia.

This made me laugh, and I needed to laugh

And it's funny you say that about turtles because I heard snakes were taking over HMOs....

Tell me more about these turtles...they seem fascinating!!!

you cannot make this decision for money, lifestyle, etc. I know you think I can put up with anything if it pays the bills, but in my experience, that thinking is naive. if you like anesthesia and/or one of its fellowships then its for you. if not, not. no one can speculate successfully as to the future...for every doc or person who tells you anesthesia is finished for xyz reason you will find one who will tell you there is nothing to worry about.
enjoy your last few days of freedom and sleep before med school starts.... best of luck