Incoming medical students using their leverage to secure others scholarship money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You’d have a point if the VAST majority of 18 year olds graduating high school were independent functioning self-reliant adults as they were 70-80 years ago. Unfortunately that’s not true as they are for all intents and purposes still children and the function of college has shifted into the last stage of childhood development before adulthood. This is toxic for society and unfortunately progressives want to keep enabling delayed adolescence to the 30s and beyond rather than encouraging early self-reliance.
Part of stopping that is not enabling it with this stupid summer camp mentality to college and start expecting them to pay

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
college students literally have no idea what’s going on in the world around them because they’re too focused on the party lifestyle and can only repeat a few sound bites like trump is a racist, something bad is happening in Syria, and Bernie Sanders is the best because he’s going to make college free without being able to elaborate or intelligibly comment on any of it.

Well tbf two of those are true, and I’m not a fan of Bernie.

Not that you can reply or anything, it seems.

I just read the OP and bypassed the rest of the discussion.

I used this strategy, sort of, to get my scholarship increased at what would ultimately become my alma mater. I sent the admissions office an e-mail toward the end of the cycle and told them that I loved the school and would love to come there but that the cost was a deal-breaker for me and that that was the only reservation that I had about attending. I was very frank with them about my situation, told them that I had the ability to attend a well-reputed institution for almost zero cost and that, while that school was not my preference, the financial consequences of choosing a school were high-priority for me.

A couple of days later, I got an e-mail back saying that my scholarship was increased; this increase ultimately ended up being worth $60-80k over the 4 years. I have no idea if this is common or not, but there's at least one case of this "strategy" working.

I should add that everything I said in my e-mail was true and genuine - I wasn't trying to play a "game," and it certainly wasn't a situation where I would still attend that school even if the response was no. If you can do this tactfully, then I don't think there's any wrong in asking - the worst thing that can happen is they say no. But sending something along the lines of, "sup bro, I'm basically one of the best applicants there is, I need more money to come here" is probably not going to get you a positive response.

I used this strategy, sort of, to get my scholarship increased at what would ultimately become my alma mater. I sent the admissions office an e-mail toward the end of the cycle and told them that I loved the school and would love to come there but that the cost was a deal-breaker for me and that that was the only reservation that I had about attending. I was very frank with them about my situation, told them that I had the ability to attend a well-reputed institution for almost zero cost and that, while that school was not my preference, the financial consequences of choosing a school were high-priority for me.

A couple of days later, I got an e-mail back saying that my scholarship was increased; this increase ultimately ended up being worth $60-80k over the 4 years. I have no idea if this is common or not, but there's at least one case of this "strategy" working.

I should add that everything I said in my e-mail was true and genuine - I wasn't trying to play a "game," and it certainly wasn't a situation where I would still attend that school even if the response was no. If you can do this tactfully, then I don't think there's any wrong in asking - the worst thing that can happen is they say no. But sending something along the lines of, "sup bro, I'm basically one of the best applicants there is, I need more money to come here" is probably not going to get you a positive response.
Technically, the OP was about leveraging your acceptance to get somebody else a scholarship

Technically, the OP was about leveraging your acceptance to get somebody else a scholarship

You're right, my bad - I didn't read closely.

In that case, I think there is next to zero chance that that would happen. Two of my classmates were married to each other before medical school, and one of them was accepted while another was waitlisted. The one who was accepted basically made it clear to the school that neither of them would be attending there if both of them weren't accepted as they had both been accepted to other schools which would allow them to be together during medical school. The waitlisted person was ultimately accepted, but I have no idea what went on behind the scenes to make that happen. Both are also incredibly smart, so I highly doubt it was a situation where the waitlisted person was less-than-qualified for the school, and both did receive interviews, so there was at least some interest even in the waitlisted person.

Other than unusual circumstances like that, though, I highly doubt that would happen.

This is definitely a strategy that works for many people. I agree that it can turn out well - it is what I did for undergrad and it saved me about 30k/year. The OP was discussing using your status as a 'superstar' accepted student to help another student get a scholarship, which is not a good plan for medical schools and is not what you and I did.

superstar athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their school and national exposure. i doubt any "superstar" medical school could do the same, unless there were any noble prize winners or medal of honor recipients who decided they suddenly wanted to purse medical school. there is just no can't miss med school applicant with that type of leverage where the med school can't just be like "next"

Maybe if a billionaire or holder of high political office decided that medicine was their next move. I wonder if someone like Obama would be considered too old for medicine, for example.