Incoming MS1 - iPad 12.9 vs 10.5 for note taking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuanF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us already within the apple ecosystem (MacBook Air/pro, etc.), would you recommend the iPad 12.9 inch or the new 10.5 inch for an incoming MS1 during note taking?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the smaller one (maybe 10.5? maybe 9.7? i bought it last summer), as do several people in my class. In my opinion, the 12.9 inch would be way too big to be practical unless you're also planning on using it as your laptop, which I wouldn't recommend.

I bought myself a 9.7 recently and it is the perfect size for me. I agree that the 12.9 appears to be way too big. But, everyone is different, so I would recommend going to Best Buy or the Apple store and playing around with each one and see which one fits the best with you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the 12.9, which is what I got. The whole point of the 12.9 is basically to be like having 2 ipad screens next to each other. It has a split screen function so you can have your textbook/lecture etc on one side, and be taking notes on the other side. If you want an ipad for note taking, it makes no sense to get the smaller version where you can't take advantage of this feature.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with the 12.9, which is what I got. The whole point of the 12.9 is basically to be like having 2 ipad screens next to each other. It has a split screen function so you can have your textbook/lecture etc on one side, and be taking notes on the other side. If you want an ipad for note taking, it makes no sense to get the smaller version where you can't take advantage of this feature.
I counter that it makes no sense not to just take notes on the text or lecture slides

Thanks for the input! I should probably specify for my situation, I would be using it in conjunction with a MacBook Pro, and what I assume in primarily portrait mode, for the purpose of reading textbooks and taking notes (typed and written/drawn) directly on slides.

I am leaning towards the 10.5 due to ease of portability and lower cost, and since I'm fortunate to have an existing laptop to use with it, but I didn't want to make a mistake in not getting the 12.9 due to its screen size (I don't know if this will affect ease of reading/studying texts and notes in portrait mode. I also see how if I were to use the split screen feature this size would be helpful).

Thanks for the input! I should probably specify for my situation, I would be using it in conjunction with a MacBook Pro, and what I assume in primarily portrait mode, for the purpose of reading textbooks and taking notes (typed and written/drawn) directly on slides.

I am leaning towards the 10.5 due to ease of portability and lower cost, and since I'm fortunate to have an existing laptop to use with it, but I didn't want to make a mistake in not getting the 12.9 due to its screen size (I don't know if this will affect ease of reading/studying texts and notes in portrait mode. I also see how if I were to use the split screen feature this size would be helpful).

I use mine in conjunction with a macbook pro as well. When I'm using my mac, I'll use my ipad as a second touchscreen monitor with the Duet app so I like the 12.9 here in having a larger monitor. Then when I'm just using my ipad (which is most of the time unless I need to do a lot of typing) the larger screen allows to me pull up multiple resources with the split screen function. Obviously get whatever you think will be most conducive to your study style, that's just how I use mine!

For those of us already within the apple ecosystem (MacBook Air/pro, etc.), would you recommend the iPad 12.9 inch or the new 10.5 inch for an incoming MS1 during note taking?

I use a Surface Pro 4, which is 12.3", and it works great for me. I like having the larger screen for multitasking, seeing images more clearly, not having to zoom in and out as much while writing by hand, and when I get home I definitely like having my computer screen essentially as large as possible. My classmates that have the 12" version of the iPad have never complained about it at all, only those with the 10" who see the 12" counterpart complain that they 'think' it would be too big. As long as you can fit it in whatever bag you use, it's not too big.

I second this. I got my 12.9 after I broke my old 9.7, for which they would charge a whooping $400+ just for a screen repair. 12.9 won't fit into the pocket of your white coat, but otherwise it will be a sound investment.