Incoming MS1 - Next Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALLMIGHT_SMASH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an incoming MS1 and had some questions regarding the difficulty in matching into competitive residencies. What I mean by "competitive" is residencies that are either top tier for things like internal medicine, neuro, ED, etc. or more competitive specialties such as derm, ENT, etc. Currently, on a bunch of waitlists but at this point there is a big chance that I will end up at a state school (MD only acceptance) that is not ranked by US News. I believe that academic medicine is most likely not possible if you don't come from a top 20 if you have evidence to the contrary that would be great! Any advice is welcome. If you want more specifics I can give some I just want to keep my anonymity if at all possible. Thanks for the help! Oh and ideally I would love to match either in West Coast (Cali) or East Coast (NE) or Chicago in the future. I know this is early but I want to know if there is anything I should start planning or working towards now.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that academic medicine is most likely not possible if you don't come from a top 20 if you have evidence to the contrary that would be great!

Ummm... take a look at the match list for any MD school in the country and you'll see plenty of "academic" programs. You don't have to train at MGH/Stanford/Hopkins to get into academic medicine.

For your purposes, all you need to worry about right now is doing your best in school, crushing step 1, and being productive in research. IF you have all of those things, really any residency is open to you as a US MD student.

For your purposes, all you need to worry about right now is doing your best in school, crushing step 1, and being productive in research. IF you have all of those things, really any residency is open to you as a US MD student.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! What I meant by the top 20 thing is that I have heard from friends in med school who say being from a top 20 gives you a leg up when it comes to future positions in academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I am an incoming MS1 and had some questions regarding the difficulty in matching into competitive residencies. What I mean by "competitive" is residencies that are either top tier for things like internal medicine, neuro, ED, etc. or more competitive specialties such as derm, ENT, etc. Currently, on a bunch of waitlists but at this point there is a big chance that I will end up at a state school (MD only acceptance) that is not ranked by US News. I believe that academic medicine is most likely not possible if you don't come from a top 20 if you have evidence to the contrary that would be great! Any advice is welcome. If you want more specifics I can give some I just want to keep my anonymity if at all possible. Thanks for the help! Oh and ideally I would love to match either in West Coast (Cali) or East Coast (NE) or Chicago in the future. I know this is early but I want to know if there is anything I should start planning or working towards now.
Evidence to the contrary is almost every MD professor at my school. Don't worry. I'm interested in academic medicine and go to a state school. Top-level academia may be effectively out of reach, but, from my conversations, middle tier is attainable for anyone with the requisite interests/accomplishments.

Reactions: 1 user
Leg up? Sure. However, there are plenty of people from all over that get into academic positions as well as competitive specialties. There are people from "low-tier" schools that get into Mayo every year. If you're that concerned, make yourself unique.

Look at the match lists from previous years from your state school. More than likely you will see some top tier academic programs. Just crush step 1, publish meaningful research and get strong LORs.

I go to my state school as well, and on every match list for the last few years there are people who match into top academic residencies. The school name may not give you an advantage like Harvard or something similar would, but it definitely won't hold you back.