Medical Incoming MS1 planning on starting Anki from Day 1. What would be the ideal settings?

Super_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to burn out too quickly but I definitely want to do a decent amount of Anki every day. In particular, I’m wondering the following:

1. How many new cards should I do per day if I’m starting Anki from Day 1? Is 100 too much or is that a good amount?

2. Which ”Steps” settings should I use if I’m starting this early? I’m thinking 15 1440 4320, with a graduating interval of 6 days and a easy interval of 8 days. Would that be ideal in my case?

Members don't see this ad.

1) It depends on which deck you choose to use and if you plan on doing reviews consistently until Step 1. You'll have to ask your upperclassmen to see if this is worth the time with P/F Step 1. If the deck is 30000 cards and you have 600 days until Step (or however many days you choose to finish the deck) then you would need to do 50 new/day to do so. 100 new/day for even a year will already be a lot of cards. For reference, I've done 42 new/day for Step 2 studying for a year now and I'm at around 400 reviews/day. I did 50 new/day for Step 1 for two years and that ended up being ~1000 reviews/day near the end.

2) Anking has a great video on YT on not getting into "ease hell" and has settings that I felt were very balanced, so definitely check that video out.

Reactions: 1 user
Watch lots of YouTube and talk to people you know because everyone is a bit different here. Personally i highly recommend extending the graduating interval and making the learning period longer (mine is 15 days) so you can avoid ease hell and learn it right the first time. I also use two decks, one for learning in whatever block I’m in, and another for reviews. Those decks have different settings.