Incompletes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutterkuchen

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a graduate level course this spring that offered 1 extra credit hour if we took an incomplete and wrote a 15 page paper over the summer. Therefore, I have an outstanding imcomplete. Does anything think that it imperative that I finish the paper and get rid of the imcomplete before I submit my transcript to AAMCS? Doing so will probably delay my application for a couple of weeks, since I need to research and write the paper, plus wait until the grade is changed. Can I successfully apply with an incomplete?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you could add a line to that effect in your personal statement. The big question is how AMCAS is going to incorporate it into your GPA (My advice would be to tick off current/future on the grade, and have a chat with someone at the Evil Monopoly about how to sort that out. I wouldn't delay your application because of a totally legitimate, if eccentric, grading situation.
hope this helps (?)

Incomplete is a grading option on the AMCAS application (or at least it was last year). As long as the course is not a pre-requisite for medical school, I would just enter it as incomplete on the AMCAS application. When the grades finally comes, you can then send it to the schools individually if you'd like. It gives you an excuse to gently prod the schools from which you are still waiting for an interview, are waitlisted, or have not yet heard.