Incorporating community college science classes into sGPA repair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a V-shaped grade trend because of a health catastrophe my sophomore year: FR = 3.67, SO = 2.7, JR = 3.75, SR = 3.84.

Because I'm not sure what specialty I want, I am trying really hard to get the numbers up to a point where I can apply to US MD schools to leave more options open. It's been an uphill battle simply because of how low I started. I am sitting at a 3.4 BCPM right now because of damage done by the D's and F's sophomore year. I am taking way more 300- and 400-level Biology classes than I need for my Biology major at my 4-year university both to without a doubt display reinvention and to get the number up. I am taking a fifth year here to do so, which will formally start in September, so that senior GPA will represent credits 90-150.

Do you think it would reflect poorly on me to add on some 100-level Biology classes at the local CC in addition to all of the upper-level Bio I'm taking at the 4-year university just to help get the number up even more? If not, how about math?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, a super senior 5th year taking 1st year 100-level classes at a CC looks very sus.
An additional 8 credits of 4.0 probably wouldn't move your BCPM significantly. Just get a 3.9+ in your 5th year and you should be good.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks, @CorgiLoaf! :) I figured, but just wanted to confirm. :) I love your name and avatar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, a follow-up question that has me worried: (Do you have a second, @CorgiLoaf?)

I am taking a Human Physiology class right now at CC. The nursing program at my 4-year (my back-up in case I don't get in to med school) would not accept the Physiology I took for my Biological Sciences major and wanted one that was specifically geared towards Allied Health. The pre-nursing advisor recommended this one at CC, so I took it.

Bad? It was specifically for the nursing program and I didn't think anything of it and now I'm really worried. :(

Last edited:
Actually, a follow-up question that has me worried: (Do you have a second, @CorgiLoaf?)

I am taking a Human Physiology class right now at CC. The nursing program at my 4-year (my back-up in case I don't get in to med school) would not accept the Physiology I took for my Biological Sciences major and wanted one that was specifically geared towards Allied Health. The pre-nursing advisor recommended this one at CC, so I took it.

Bad? It was specifically for the nursing program and I didn't think anything of it and now I'm really worried. :(
If it was just 1 class, you should be fine. If asked during an interview, you have a good reason for taking it.
No one's going to think you are trying to game GPA repair by taking only a single 100-level class.

Reactions: 1 user