Increased Competition as Season Comes to an End

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering to what factor the competition increases as the application cylce gets closer to its end. For example, anyone know someone with lesser stats get in earlier in the process and someone with better stats get rejected b/c of a later application (assuming both individuals apply to the same school). Obviously since admissions are mostly rolling, I would assume this happens quite often, yet I've yet to see a concrete example of it. Feel free to share, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a need for concrete examples. At all schools, particularly those with rolling admissions, it tends to be easier to get an interview/acceptance the earlier you apply. Later in the cycle, competition increases by nature of the fact that there are fewer spots. But ad comms may use stricter criteria when giving out those last few spots at the end of the season whereas in Sep/Oct the borderline applicants may be given more of a chance. On the otherhand, so-so applicants may be getting interviews later in the cycle for waitlist spots etc. In conclusion APPLY EARLY.
:luck:

I'm a late applicant so I'll share with you my fantasy theory that I tell myself to help get to sleep at night. Late applicants might be mostly slackers who in general might have weaker applications, giving me an edge in the late, crappy pool. Of course I know this is DEAD WRONG as I'm a late applicant and I wouldn't categorize myself as such. Anyway, it's fun to pretend...

Competition for acceptances is high throughout the process. Other than maybe competition for interviews, in which you obviously have better chances with an early primary.