Increasing Concentration/focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy73

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for some tips to increase concentration/focus for studying for the MCAT.. I study for 45-60 mintues and then my mind just takes a break... any tips to help increase that..
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee... ...and repeat as necessary.

geez..i feel so behind. I'm barely studying half an hour a day but I need to start. I logged on to take the practice test on the aamc website and it politely tells you 42 days till MCAT as of today. 42 DAYS!!! That's exactly 6 weeks! How in the world did I almost waste a month since the April scores came out and not accomplish a darn thing?

But I wouldn't drink coffee if your body isn't use to it. I, on the other hand, am a caffeine addict. I sometimes get headaches if I don't drink coffee and then once I stop for a while and start again, I get migraines cuz my body readjusts but I might just be weird...

hey, if coffee isn't your thing, pop, soda, whatever, TEA is great... herbals and such; i'm not a big fan of redbull or energy drinks, but knock yourself out. heh, maybe you suffer from ADD. wowww... pretty smiley faces... crap who doesn't? ask your physician to prescribe some aderol, or concentra, heh, kidding!! but uhh... you didn't hear that from me. there's a whole world of stimulants out there!!! :idea: best of :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
1 Gatorade, 1 PowerBar and a 1 mile run helped me out when I took the MCATs. I stucked to this ritual for 3 weeks!

amy73 said:
I study for 45-60 mintues and then my mind just takes a break... any tips to help increase that.

You're not alone. Two things. First, keep the prize in mind - the big picture - you're jackpot and the only way to get to it is if you quit reading this and get back to it. :D

Secondly, when you see your mind wandering off to la la land, by not taking a break, the trip to la la land usually is a longer one. Personally, I'd rather take a break at that point and come back recharged.

Good luck,
-Y_Marker

i would definitely advise against the caffeine- stimulants work, but they also stop working at a certain point. i am a caffeine addict (i like to think i self medicate for my self-diagnosed ADD)- but i've weaned myself off during the last few weeks cuz i want to be caffeine free and kickin' by mcat time. don't want to crash halfway through- it also prevents you from relaxing.
i also find working out helps me tons. i run and go the gym in the mornings, take a shower and eat and then get started and go sometimes 8 hours cuz the morning workout gives me energy. i also set daily goals for myself and a schedule to stick with and it generally works for me.
i sometimes get tired and give myself a break, but only when i reach a minigoal. for instance, if i want to read 5 kaplan chapters and take notes- i'll let myself go get a drink and a piece of fruit after two, or something. then i sit back down and do another chapter, then check my email and listen to a song or two, then get back to work. set goals, and reward yourself when you reach them.
also, work out! i say strong body=strong mind.

OP,

Be a little easy on yourself. Studies have shown (I know I should haul out a citation at this point, but I'm not going to) that taking a ten minute study break every hour improves concentration, memory, and ability to synthesize information... so, you're brain is trying to take a break right when it should be!

So, take a ten minute break (I find ten minutes of yoga, walking, or zen to be a good study break) and then keep pushing. Just make sure it isn't more than ten minutes (AVOID SDN!!!)

Anka

amy73 said:
Hi Guys,
Looking for some tips to increase concentration/focus for studying for the MCAT.. I study for 45-60 mintues and then my mind just takes a break... any tips to help increase that..
Thanks

8-ball of coke

sshaltoni said:
hey, if coffee isn't your thing, pop, soda, whatever, TEA is great... herbals and such; i'm not a big fan of redbull or energy drinks, but knock yourself out. heh, maybe you suffer from ADD. wowww... pretty smiley faces... crap who doesn't? ask your physician to prescribe some aderol, or concentra, heh, kidding!! but uhh... you didn't hear that from me. there's a whole world of stimulants out there!!! :idea: best of :luck:

Ha, you're not far off with the concentra advice! Check out the Allo forum...the abuse of ritalin and other stimulants by med students is rumured to be rampant, they claim it helps concentration and focus and allows them to study longer/better.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=132852

I'm not sure why you're worried. Studying, and attempting to absorb the material, is a lot more taxing activity than actually taking the test, where you are just applying knowledge. Besides, you will have the adrenaline rush to help pull you through on the real thing, and there will be a handful of breaks anyway.

In any case, I am impressed by anyone that can study for almost an hour straight. I'm lucky to get 15 minutes.