Increasing EM in San Diego chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am interested in EM, and was wondering what are some things I should do in order to maximize my chances at obtaining EM at the community hospital in my home town? I am planning on doing an away rotation there eventually, but was wondering other things that could help me.

I am a DO, and have looked at their current residents and it seems that they have 1 DO per class which means they at least take DO's.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am interested in EM, and was wondering what are some things I should do in order to maximize my chances at obtaining EM at the community hospital in my home town? I am planning on doing an away rotation there eventually, but was wondering other things that could help me.

I am a DO, and have looked at their current residents and it seems that they have 1 DO per class which means they at least take DO's.
Your status says you're pre-med. If that's true, you can start by getting into med school. If you're a relatively newly minted OMS1, there are about a dozen other threads asking this same question that will have the answers for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re better off doing a 3 year program in hell than a 4 year program in San Diego. Your future self will thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attend conferences and network with residency program directors.

Otherwise you could also do a summer research project at one of the programs.

Use the search function, get into medical school, join an EMIG. Come back in a few years.

Agreed. Almost nothing you can do as a premed would help you in this endeavor. Many things you could do would negatively affect you. Your first job is to get into medical school. Your second job is to get a good Step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 users
The San Diego EM market is dominated by EM grads, mostly from UCSD and now more from the Kaiser program.

I remember when I interviewed at UCSD, one of the top "selling points" of going to UCSD was increasing your chances of staying there after residency.

You want my advice? Don't set your heart on practicing at a single location, in a single city at one particular hospital. This is a marathon, things change, you never know where you will be after med school/residency. I never thought I would leave California to do residency in the midwest (best decision I ever made).

Life has a funny way of working out sometimes, and it's important of getting out of the pre-med mindset of getting your entire future planned out today and just taking things a day at a time.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am not a pre-med however, i didnt realize i still had me "pre-med" tag/status, so thank you for reminding me. I understand that location should not matter at all, however I am willing to give up alot in order to stay close to my family. Personal thing, perhaps may change, who knows. Thank you all for the insight