Increasing my chances for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering what I can do to increase my chances of getting awarded and HPSP scholarship in general across all branches in general? Or if I am a first year dental student applying for an Air Force 3 year HPSP?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest factor: Apply early - start the process in Aug/Sep and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if one has poor stats, if he applies early, he's in?

Even if one has poor stats, if he applies early, he's in?

Not exactly. I just got accepted and had previously checked out all the branches. With the HPSP program cuts, people with lower stats won't get the Air Force for sure. So many applicants, so few spots. The Army or Navy would be the best bet. I was awarded Army and like they said, the key is to apply early! My stats weren't off the chart and I didn't meet the automatic acceptance, but I didn't have a problem getting in because I was early. I actually called the recruiters and let them know I was interested back in June/July, then followed up and started paperwork in October. It worked great for me. Good luck!

For the Army Dental HPSP, there are limited numbers every year since the Army is the larger service they have more scholarships, than the other services. If you are taking the DAT this spring or Summer, and are intrested you need to contact your local recruiter as soon as you can. So they can show you the beneifts of the scholarship. This way you can make a informed decision and not rush into it.

The positive part about deciding on the scholarship early is that it allows you to be more flexible with the school that you attend. Since the Army will be paying for it, you can go to the school of your choice compared to the one that you can afford.

You can google your local healthcare recruiter office. There are specfic healthcare recruiters that work with the scholarship. Compared to the normal recruiters that work with non healthcare applicants.

Wait, do you can start applying even before you know if you gotten into dental school? Since the earliest you find out will be in dec...

Wait, do you can start applying even before you know if you gotten into dental school? Since the earliest you find out will be in dec...

YES! I would start the process the summer before, just like applying for dental school. I waited until October to contact a recruiter and I got one of the last Navy HSCP scholarships (better if you go to an instate school). HPSP scholarships were gone when I finally got all my stuff in. It's a long, tedious process to apply for the scholarship. If you think applying for dental school is tedious, you're in for a big surprise when applying for the military scholarship.

drsomeday1 was probably like me, contacting a recruiter right after the USC interview :laugh: 110k a year in tuition? Insane...