Increasing resident, fellow, staff involvement on the neurology sub-forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed reading the threads on the neurology sub-forum for the past couple years, but have come to notice a few things when compared to the other "sub-specialty" areas here on SDN. It seems while there are quite a few upper-level med students who post, it seems the resident, fellow, and attending involvement is substantially lower than in the other areas (ophtho, ENT, and psych come quickly to mind). I've asked a couple of attendings and fellows in my home program to join in the discussion who said they would quite enthusiastically, but unfortunately I've not "seen" them onboard.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how involvement can be increased amongst the aforementioned ranks? As much knowledge as upper-level med students have to relay to others, they are still low on the proverbial totem pole of experience (don't worry, I'm in that group as well). The only attending-levels whose handles I can quickly recall are Neurologist and Fencer.

Perhaps if all the students on here also ask their staff/residents/fellows to participate, due purely to shear numbers (akin to the fratboy shotgun approach for "targets"), we can hopefully increase input from that vital segment of the neurology population. I would think folks like PDs would be very eager to participate since that would also give exposure to their programs, etc.

As much as I love threads about getting in to residency, etc., I'd love to see more discussion about where neurology is headed, which is prime ground for attendings, etc., to discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Too bad one can't edit a misspelling in a thread title. :scared: It should read "fellow". :oops:

Agreed... We need more post-medical school responses.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how involvement can be increased amongst the aforementioned ranks? . . . The only attending-levels whose handles I can quickly recall are Neurologist and Fencer.

Thanks for thinking of me :love:

Having skulked around the neuro forum for about 6(!) years now, I agree with you that compared to some of the other forums (ER, pain, etc) the neuro forum is pretty dead. I think there are a couple of reasons for this.

1) Lets be honest, despite our bias, neuro is just not that popular overall, so it's going to a lot less traffic to begin with.

2) There is little substantive discussion on this forum. There are basically only four recurring themes here:
a. "What are the top programs"
b. "Can I get into a top program as a non-english speaking FMG with a combined score of 12 on step 1 and 2 of the boards and a GPA of 1.5?"
c. "How much money will I make and what's the best way to make it?"
d. "How can I use neurology as an end run to becoming a radiologist?"

These have all been beaten to death and back over the years. Compare that to a number of other forums where people actually discuss technical aspects of practicing their specialty.

Frankly, after seeing this over and over and over and over for 5 years, I just don't come here much any more.

Now, I suppose some of this might be my own fault. I guess I (or other attendings/fellows/senior residents) could post interesting cases for discussion or something. But generally those get ignored pretty quick or shut down by mods as "asking for medical advice."

Dunno what the ultimate answer is. Maybe sometime if I have some free time I'll try to stimulate some interesting discussion.

Until then, the answers to the questions above are:

a. Whichever one you feel most comfortable at
b. You never know unless you apply
c. About $200 K and make sure you do either EMG or sleep
d. Too late now sucka :laugh: