Increasing trend in GPA, rule of thumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question:
I had a really rough start on first two years of college and really good next two year.
First two year average to 2.6 and last two goes for 3.7 (I have my excuses).

Overall GPA is still fairly low (3.2)

How do adcom interpret such GPA?
Do they first go by the overall only and consider the trend only if they are debating whether to accept or not (which is my guess at the moment, but I'll be glad to be wrong)?
Do they actually look at your GPA year by year and assume the student have ability to perform well in class?

I just think the GPA business is kinda bs.
I kicked my ass studying the first two years and never went past 3.0, ended up withdrawing (BU).
Then I honestly did not work as hard and received 3.7-3.9 at a different college (U of Cincinnati).

I guess that's how the game is played, and maybe I should learn to play by the rules.

Members don't see this ad.

It's always a good sign, but your cGPA is still too low for MD schools. You should get plenty of interviews at DO schools, however.

Just a quick question:
I had a really rough start on first two years of college and really good next two year.
First two year average to 2.6 and last two goes for 3.7 (I have my excuses).

Overall GPA is still fairly low (3.2)

How do adcom interpret such GPA?
Do they first go by the overall only and consider the trend only if they are debating whether to accept or not (which is my guess at the moment, but I'll be glad to be wrong)?
Do they actually look at your GPA year by year and assume the student have ability to perform well in class?

I just think the GPA business is kinda bs.
I kicked my ass studying the first two years and never went past 3.0, ended up withdrawing (BU).
Then I honestly did not work as hard and received 3.7-3.9 at a different college (U of Cincinnati).

I guess that's how the game is played, and maybe I should learn to play by the rules.

Bad attitude. I understand you're frustrated, but you'll want to be more mature in discussing a rough start with interviewers by focusing on what you learned from the experience (stronger sense of responsibility for one's actions, etc.)

No worries. I won't be discussing GPA that way.
Thanks for input anyhow.

Edit:
Oh, and already in M.S. program.