Incredible Shadow Opportunity in Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a note to anyone looking for shadow opportunities in Minnesota. At CentraCare Hospital in Saint Cloud, MN they have what is called a "PreMed Shadow Program". Basically it is a month long and you shadow a different doctor from a different specialty every day. This includes a 12 hour shift with Life Link helicopter and an 8-4am shift in the ER. I can set anyone up with info if they are interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a note to anyone looking for shadow opportunities in Minnesota. At CentraCare Hospital in Saint Cloud, MN they have what is called a "PreMed Shadow Program". Basically it is a month long and you shadow a different doctor from a different specialty every day. This includes a 12 hour shift with Life Link helicopter and an 8-4am shift in the ER. I can set anyone up with info if they are interested.

Sounds really cool. Wish I lived closer to take advantage of something like this. By the way, did you interview at DMU on 1/18?

Nope, one day later one the 19th

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow wish they had something like that in NY. If anyone knows of something similar please let me know
thx

Just so you know if you are relying on something like this for your shadowing experiences, some schools look down on just being with a doctor for a week as I know someone who was told this when she got rejected. She did something similar on her own, set it up with 5 different doctors at a hospital. They told her they were looking for commitment to a doctor and that you can't really get a feel doing it only a week :rolleyes: I don't get some schools sometimes since some DO LOR's are only after say maybe 5 visits (if the doctor is comfortable writing it!).

With that said, that sounds like a great opportunity and I hope that someone can use it to get a glimpse of what medicine is like across the board. I would just want to see the flight medicine aspect.

I interviewed on the 19th, and I'm also from Minnesota, but I've never been in a helicopter.

Just so you know if you are relying on something like this for your shadowing experiences, some schools look down on just being with a doctor for a week as I know someone who was told this when she got rejected. She did something similar on her own, set it up with 5 different doctors at a hospital. They told her they were looking for commitment to a doctor and that you can't really get a feel doing it only a week :rolleyes: I don't get some schools sometimes since some DO LOR's are only after say maybe 5 visits (if the doctor is comfortable writing it!).

With that said, that sounds like a great opportunity and I hope that someone can use it to get a glimpse of what medicine is like across the board. I would just want to see the flight medicine aspect.
All the schools I interviewed at were really impressed with it. It is a pretty competitive program to get into and a good chunk of my interviews were spent talking solely talking about my emperiences at the program. It gives great exposure to all aspects of medicine since most premedical students, myself included, are too naive to pick the specialty they want to practice in.

All the schools I interviewed at were really impressed with it. It is a pretty competitive program to get into and a good chunk of my interviews were spent talking solely talking about my emperiences at the program. It gives great exposure to all aspects of medicine since most premedical students, myself included, are too naive to pick the specialty they want to practice in.
I completely agree with you. I'm just saying this was the experience of a pre-med person who did the same thing but it didn't work out like it did for you! :)

Edit: I also think she was relying this as clinical exposure which she was lacking and that is reason of why they said that it didn't "cut it". I think its a great program but don't have it be your only experience is my advice!

http://www.med.nyu.edu/emergency/electives/college/

someone on SDN recommended the PAVERS program to me when I was a premed. Project healthcare seems to more along the lines of what you want.

St Barnabas in the bronx and the VA hospital on the east side were flexible with me. I was able to volunteer/shadow in different departments. St. Barnabas is a teaching hospital where NYCOM students rotate through. There are plenty of DO attendings throughout the residency programs.

you should be able to do something similar to this at other hospitals if the volunteer dept is flexible. It will take some initiative on your part as well.

Wow wish they had something like that in NY. If anyone knows of something similar please let me know
thx

I completely agree with you. I'm just saying this was the experience of a pre-med person who did the same thing but it didn't work out like it did for you! :)

Edit: I also think she was relying this as clinical exposure which she was lacking and that is reason of why they said that it didn't "cut it". I think its a great program but don't have it be your only experience is my advice!
gotcha, agreed.

I live in Burnsville, which might be too far away, but would like any information on the shadowing opportunity. Thanks!

http://www.med.nyu.edu/emergency/electives/college/

someone on SDN recommended the PAVERS program to me when I was a premed. Project healthcare seems to more along the lines of what you want.

St Barnabas in the bronx and the VA hospital on the east side were flexible with me. I was able to volunteer/shadow in different departments. St. Barnabas is a teaching hospital where NYCOM students rotate through. There are plenty of DO attendings throughout the residency programs.

you should be able to do something similar to this at other hospitals if the volunteer dept is flexible. It will take some initiative on your part as well.
Thanks Hunter I will give them a shot I contacted probably a dozen hospitals and got nothing. So its been frustrating to say the least. It would be ideal for something in LI [nassau] but Ill take anywhere thats reasonable to get there at this point.

Im off from school for a week in 2 weeks I was hoping to find a doc to shadow for a few days that week but so far no luck with that either. I've wrote letters, called, stoped in, etc.

I live in Burnsville, but am interested in at least having some information about the program. Thanks!

I live in Burnsville, but am interested in at least having some information about the program. Thanks!
Drop me a PM with any questions you have about the program.