independent research vs. assisting a professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onemorething

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of working with professors in an undergrad research program at my school, but I also have the option to do a lot of independent research (I'm not talking book reports).

I'm afraid I might be a little bias towards doing my own research. You know, just like everyone else here, to prove what I'm made of.

When working with a prof., all you really get credit for is helping out in one manner or another and no one has any real way of knowing what you've contributed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So which is better, independent or working under a prof.?

I should also mention, my situation is unique, I will already be doing a year of research at a local medical university, so it seems to me that I should roam free, fly with the birds, and indulge in 4 or so independent studies.

any comments, concerns or belittlement will be warmly welcomed

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I have the option of working with professors in an undergrad research program at my school, but I also have the option to do a lot of independent research (I'm not talking book reports).

I'm afraid I might be a little bias towards doing my own research. You know, just like everyone else here, to prove what I'm made of.

When working with a prof., all you really get credit for is helping out in one manner or another and no one has any real way of knowing what you've contributed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So which is better, independent or working under a prof.?

I should also mention, my situation is unique, I will already be doing a year of research at a local medical university, so it seems to me that I should roam free, fly with the birds, and indulge in 4 or so independent studies.

any comments, concerns or belittlement will be warmly welcomed

thank you

Well, both are good options. But, keep in mind that your independent research will still be heavily guided by an adviser. You may chose the topic and pick the angle or question you are asking, but your advisor will be giving alot of advice, alot of editing, and alot of help with the statistical analysis and interpretation.

Also, I dont think its true that "all you really get credit for is helping out in one manner or another and no one has any real way of knowing what you've contributed.
If its an active lab, and you are proactive within it, you should be able to generate posters or paper presentations, even at the undergrad level. Pubs are possible too. But keep in mind, its not just about how much credit you are getting either. Get the experience for you. Build your skills as a researcher. If you know your area inside and out, this will be evidence of your research in and of itself. And you will sure be thankful when that researcher you worked and slaved for writes you a glowing LOR, and brags about your willingness to help with projects and your accomplishments while volunteering. This is what your potential POIs HAVE to hear from other professors if you want to be a competitive Ph.D. applicant

I'd say they are both valuable, especially if they are done under different professors. That way you can get 2 different LORs.

As for which one to pursue (ind. or team-based) if it were me, I'd do both. If a PhD in clinical is what you are after, you can never have too much research experience.

As a side note, I will be applying to clinical PhD programs for fall 2009 with over 6 years of research experience, 3 publications (1 first author) and a MA degree in clinical psychology. I am aware of many other applicants out there with as much experience as I if not more. Not to sound pompous, but this is what you will be going up against when you apply.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
*SIGH*. I'm scared of people like you. LOL. But it's great too, you have so much research experience, I think mine pales in comparison to yours. At least though you keep me motivated. Those six yrs of research experience did not magically appear - you must have worked so hard!

For the OP: Both sound good. Remember, the independent project might mean less if the research is not what you're interested in. Think about also in the way of, how can you get better letters, which option would lend its way to providing you with solid work that you can "show off"?

Good heavens, myelin, I hope we don't have the same research interests. ;)

You shouldn't be scared of me. I'm nothing to be afraid of! If it makes you feel better, I can't seem to get my GRE up high enough to be looked at by many programs. With that being said, it is my understanding that without making the GRE cut-off, my CV, LORs, and PS are pointless at top-tier programs. This is what is frustrating - having to e-mail potential professors to work with and explain my situation.

I knew I had problems with standardized testing before (SAT/ACT were equally low) and so I am trying to make up for it with more research experience. I know for a fact that research experience was what got me into the MA program that I'm currently in. A faculty member told me that it was my research experience that really stood out when they were reviewing my application, even in light of a rather low GRE/undergrad GPA.

Oh, I have a low GRE too, unless it dramatically improves when I retake it. And less research experience!

Can you explain the nature of the independent research? Would you be working closely with a faculty member? Conducting research? Is it something like an honors thesis? That would help us understand what it is you're choosing between.

thanks for all the feedback,

to answer psychanon, all of the above, and whatever else I can get away with ;)

to erg923, after thinking it over a bit, I think I should set aside some priority time to work under a prof., your right about showing that I am willing to contribute and work hard.

and to myelin, I know, I know, and all I can say is I'm doing and will do everyting I can to be on level