"independent research"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what counts as "independent research or study"? a senior project without original research? working in a lab under someone else's direction, but on a project you are responsible for? writing a review paper? intensely studying a personal medical issue outside of any formal setting?

Members don't see this ad.

all of the above? Depends on the program/criterion that you're doing this through. At my school, most of the independent study "courses" that you can take are through a PI with an existing lab. You may be sent off in a new direction, or you might get stuck to the side of another ongoing project.

to clarify: i mean, for purposes of answering questions on a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump. any more opinions? i'm trying to decide whether to ansewr an optional secondary question.

I think you answered your own question. Everything you listed is what I'd consider independent study.

Maybe you should review the site of the school you're applying to to make sure.

I agree with Pembleton. Those all sound like independent reserach. Perhaps if you tell us what exactly you did we could be more helpful? I say if the "research" makes you look good then write it down. If the AdComs don't like it or don't consider it independent research, then they'll ignore it.

someone wanted specifics...

a senior project without original research?
- studied the connections between malaria and climate change. read a lot lot lot of papers, made a synthesized prediction about what will happen, some policy suggestions, and suggestions for research. comprehensive but not super-rigerous.

working in a lab under someone else's direction, but on a project you are responsible for?
- i work in a public health lab where i do the day-to-day work of monitoring for west nile virus, lyme disease & plague. we keep lots of records, analyze data, and make local public health interventions (e.g. decide where to spray for mosquitoes) according to what we find but don't generally publish. i'm also doing the lab work and crunching some numbers occasionally on a lyme disease project of my boss' that may or may not lead to any conclusions.

writing a review paper?
- i co-wrote a book chapter for a medical text, but it was all based on a lit review and my own experiences.

intensely studying a personal medical issue outside of any formal setting?
- i had a complicated and sreious medical decision to make & my docs couldn't figure out what to do... so I did EXTENSIVE reading to come up with a plan.

the question is "have you done any independent research or study"? do you think i should say no or say yes and write about 1 or 2 of these experiencesf? i tend to think all of this stuff is almost-not-quite when it comes to answering the question, but then again i also think it's relevent experience.

Your research sounds pretty good. You might not want to talk about every single one though. I think it's cool that you co-wrote a chapter. Mention that one. Plus, your paper on the connection between malria and climate change is interesting. It's sounds like a library-based thesis.

Did you talk about your serious medical condition anywhere else? If it is mentioned elsewhere in your application, you don't need to mention it... cause I suppose you did do research... but not really. Although you could probably spin it in a positive light. And it's worth mentioning somewhere in your application. I just don't know if this is the right place.

I am currently doing an independent study concerning pharmocoeconomics, or the economics of the drug industry. Basically, you work on your own, devise your own hypothesis, do your own readings, collect your on data etc...This is different from research, where you are actually guided by the PI during the course of the research. Independent study is more flexible and gives more options to the student.

ASDIC said:
I am currently doing an independent study concerning pharmocoeconomics, or the economics of the drug industry. Basically, you work on your own, devise your own hypothesis, do your own readings, collect your on data etc...This is different from research, where you are actually guided by the PI during the course of the research. Independent study is more flexible and gives more options to the student.

Sounds cool.

tinkerbelle said:
Did you talk about your serious medical condition anywhere else? If it is mentioned elsewhere in your application, you don't need to mention it... cause I suppose you did do research... but not really. Although you could probably spin it in a positive light. And it's worth mentioning somewhere in your application. I just don't know if this is the right place.
I'd second this. It might be a good addition to your PS, but it doesn't sound like it'd qualify as independent research.

TheProwler said:
I'd second this. It might be a good addition to your PS, but it doesn't sound like it'd qualify as independent research.

Yea. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to include your independent research on collegewide female anatomy either. :D