Independent Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James105

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I have a technical question for you. I have gradauated from college already so I am finishing up my pre-reqs at the school I recieved my degree. I am finishing up the courses next semester. However, the school I attend only allows for me to take 12 credits a semester as a part time student. Thus I have to account for my biology course as an independent study stated during the winter interim. I will actually be taking the course, it will just have to be considered independent study to meet the school's policies. I will be taking the course with the other students and completing the same lab, it will just say indepenent study-biology. so my question is: is there a section on the application to explain a situation like this? or is there a place to explain interesting situations on the MCAT? Do you think it will still count as my biology pre-req? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no place to explain an "interesting situation" related to the MCAT unless you work it into an appropriate essay prompt. You might send in a supplemental letter to each school, particularly if it's documented by a letter sent to you by AAMC, like the electricity went out, or there was a fire drill during the test, or someone threw up on your keyboard.

As far as the Independent Study: if you're using that as part of your required "One year of Biology with lab," as long as a school doesn't specify that it be Introductory Biology, I think you'd be fine. And if they do, then an explanatory email, letter, or phone should be enough especially is the course number on your transcripts is the same as the required class.

What's the problem with being full-time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! I have one final question. My school doesn't offer bio I&II, instead it offers zoology and botany and and intro bio course. So I have to decide whether to finish up my prerequisites with botany or cell bio. Which would be better for fulfilling prerequisites?

Great! Does anybody have a list of schools that ONLY accept Gen Bio I and II?

how important is the "impressivness" of courses? Is it fine to complete the basic prereqs to be accepted?

A lot of independent study courses don't show up any different on a transcript.

Great! Does anybody have a list of schools that ONLY accept Gen Bio I and II?

Medical schools understand that not all schools offer "Gen Bio I and II".

how important is the "impressivness" of courses? Is it fine to complete the basic prereqs to be accepted?

Yes, though you'll often hear it argued that getting an A in neuroembryonicradiopharmacology is more impressive to adcoms than an A in general bio and that, ideally, you should really be shooting for that A in neuroembryonicradiopharmacology to separate yourself from the crowd.