India.. birthplace of Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dammm!!!! I should have applied to India programs !

I actually read your citations...

India is certainly not the birthplace of Neurosurgery. Seems they had a lot of catching up to do (with the West) and didn't get around to catching up with Cushing until the mid-20th Century.

As to being the "birthplace" of Neurology, I'm not sure about that claim. Hippocrates (4th C BC) and the Egyptians (much earlier) document pretty good work in clinical Neurology. One of the articles cited is entitled "Neurology in Ancient India- Some Evidences." This indicates that India was not the birthplace of the English language....:)

Members don't see this ad :)
India...the birthplace of overseas transcription services
....birthplace of outsourced customer service

I could add alot to that.

I've been to india (for a month), and i think it's probably my favorite country. (Sure it's not the richest...)

Fyi, Indians 'invented' surgery.

Sushruta (also spelt Susruta or Sushrutha) (c. 6th century BC) was a surgeon who lived in ancient India and is the author of the book Sushruta Samhita, in which he describes over 120 surgical instruments, 300 surgical procedures and classifies human surgery in 8 categories. He lived and taught and practiced his art on the banks of the Ganges in North India.

Because of his seminal and numerous contributions to the science and art of surgery he is also known by the title "Father of Surgery" . Much of what is known about this inventive surgeon is contained in a series of volumes he authored, which are collectively known as the Susrutha Samhita. The "Samhita" has some writings that date as late as the 1st century, and some scholars believe that there were contributions and additions to his teachings from generations of his students and disciples. Susrutha is also the father of Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery since his technique of forehead flap rhinoplasty (repairing the disfigured nose with a flap of skin from the forehead),that he used to reconstruct noses that were amputated as a punishment for crimes, is practiced almost unchanged in technique to this day. The Susrutha Samhita contains the first known description of several operations, including the uniting of bowel, the removal of the prostate gland, the removal of cataract lenses and the draining of abscesses.

Fyi, Indians 'invented' surgery.

Sushruta (also spelt Susruta or Sushrutha) (c. 6th century BC) was a surgeon who lived in ancient India and is the author of the book Sushruta Samhita, in which he describes over 120 surgical instruments, 300 surgical procedures and classifies human surgery in 8 categories. He lived and taught and practiced his art on the banks of the Ganges in North India.

Because of his seminal and numerous contributions to the science and art of surgery he is also known by the title "Father of Surgery" . Much of what is known about this inventive surgeon is contained in a series of volumes he authored, which are collectively known as the Susrutha Samhita. The "Samhita" has some writings that date as late as the 1st century, and some scholars believe that there were contributions and additions to his teachings from generations of his students and disciples. Susrutha is also the father of Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery since his technique of forehead flap rhinoplasty (repairing the disfigured nose with a flap of skin from the forehead),that he used to reconstruct noses that were amputated as a punishment for crimes, is practiced almost unchanged in technique to this day. The Susrutha Samhita contains the first known description of several operations, including the uniting of bowel, the removal of the prostate gland, the removal of cataract lenses and the draining of abscesses.

India is a blessing to all mankind:D

My 0.01.. every neurology department has at least one Indian faculty member. And I can bet s/he is the 'walking textbook'/'the-best-neurologist' of the department. Fact.

Would somebody ban this troglodyte already?

My 0.01.. every neurology department has at least one Indian faculty member. And I can bet s/he is the 'walking textbook'/'the-best-neurologist' of the department. Fact.

Wait a second. You start by saying that this is your opinion, and yet you end your message saying that your opinion is fact. So, which is it?

Why does it matter? Are you trying to say that Indian neurologists are better than American neurologists? How about Japanese neurologists? Why don't we take it a bit further with gender, is it fact that male neurologists are better than female neurologists? (Tell me, please, because I apparently need to be educated about the field I'm about ready to enter.)

How can you sit there and perpetuate stereotypes about a specific group? (I find it kind of funny since you seem to like to complain about IMG postings because you don't like how they spell, use imperfect grammar, or post what you think are irrelevant questions.)

I suppose you could say the same for medicine. Every Department of Medicine has at least one Indian faculty member that just outdoes his/her colleagues. That's just fact, don't you know?

Oh, wait...I really can't say that since I'm not familiar with EVERY Department of Medicine in the country!

I know you're just trying rile up the troops. I know by responding that you're getting whatever pleasure you get from annoying members of this forum. But, if you believe that a doctor from one ethnicity or race is better than others (for whatever reason, no matter what field), then you need to get your head out of a certain posterior orifice.

To my neurology colleagues, I apologize for the rant.

Indian Neurologists are a blessing to all mankind:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, lets get back to the topic maturely. The purpose of the thread is to promote and discuss the role Indians played in laying the groundwork or foundation-stone of what today constitutes Neurology. The evidence is there in hundreds of thousands of textbooks and research articles that have been published in this regard over the past hundreds of years. Grant Duff, a british Historian of India, once said:

"Many of the advances in the sciences that we consider today to have been made in Europe were in fact made in India centuries ago."

Just giving you an example.. Sushruta was one of the first to study the human Neuroanatomy. In the 'SusrutaSamahita' he has described in detail the study of Neuroanatomy, including the brain & spinal cord, with the aid of a dead body. Now, can you guys imagine this being done like thousands of years ago.. Genious is the only word that comes to the mind.

Cheers

Are you trying to say that Indian neurologists are better than American neurologists? .

No.

I just meant that many Indian neurologists have superior knowledge about the art & science of the human mind. May be I just phrased it wrong so dont take it to your heart, buddy ;)

No.

I just meant that many Indian neurologists have superior knowledge about the art & science of the human mind... ;)

"Many Indian neurologists have superior knowledge about the art and science of the human mind..."????

What kind of crap are you spouting? What the hell do you mean by "superior?" Would you just listen to yourself for a moment? Would you say "Many Black folk have a superior sense of rhythm..."???

Sure, there are "many" fine Indian neurologists... There are also "many" fine non-Indian neurologists who have displayed "superior knowledge about the art and science of the human mind..." not to mention neurology in general. Hughlings Jackson, Harvey Cushing, Charcot, Freud, Broca, Wernicke, and all the other guys you read about in med school.

You are talking about genius. No one discounts the contribution of brilliant Indian medical and scientific scholars. Genius is not limited to any culture. Your comments suggest that non-Indians are incabable of such genius. That's rediculous.

BTW, genius is rare in any culture. I know lots of Indian and non-Indian neurologists, including brilliant ones. The majority of them are not brilliant, in my estimation. That's just the way it is. ;)

Nick

If you drive a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.
If you have a "Shah" or "Patel" in your name,
if you are good in kissing a$$es,
YOU are a genius !!!!

and you are a blessing to all mankind:D

Alright people need to calm down. I am Indian, and I am going to go into Neurology, and that doesn't mean I will be superior in any way just because I am Indian. Its not like neurology flows through my blood. People who are at the top of their fields are there because they worked hard to get there and work hard to stay there, DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOU COME FROM.

Reactions: 1 user
just curious, Im wondering if India has ever won a major conflict? Im my history readings, there are numerous examples of India being invaded and taken over with little to no resistance. Is it because they focus so heavily on sex books and curry? I dont know, would suggest more balance really.

just curious, Im wondering if India has ever won a major conflict? Im my history readings, there are numerous examples of India being invaded and taken over with little to no resistance. Is it because they focus so heavily on sex books and curry? I dont know, would suggest more balance really.

:laugh: Curry flavored sex books? Okay okay a bit extreme I know.

dunno, maybe for every hour spent making tasty curry dishes or reading sex books, designate an hour for pushups, target practice or outdoor activities. Spread it out. Maybe have mandatory viewings of 300, Braveheart and the like for inspiration.

Seriously, why spend all the time developing tasty flat breads, dips and meat dishes as well as new sex positions only to have neighboring countries stroll in and take advantage of it...

dunno, maybe for every hour spent making tasty curry dishes or reading sex books, designate an hour for pushups, target practice or outdoor activities. Spread it out. Maybe have mandatory viewings of 300, Braveheart and the like for inspiration.

Seriously, why spend all the time developing tasty flat breads, dips and meat dishes as well as new sex positions only to have neighboring countries stroll in and take advantage of it...

There was no need for that. That's really offensive. Of course it's a stupid notion that one race is better at neurology than another (actually, the Swiss have Orthopaedic surgery down!), but there was no need to offend another race just because you felt wronged by this thread. The OP doesn't represent everyone Indian.

And to answer your question, Alexander the Great managed to conquer Africa and all of Europe but his one main goal, his long-sought prize, he couldn't capture, and that was India. India provided a huge bulk of the British army during both the first and second world wars and many a Sikhs were promoted to general in the army. Maybe you should learn some history before trying to pick out some way to insult a race. India was never a "country" united until the British. So in history, whoever came to India, just came and stayed and it became one big melting pot.

One last thing...we don't need crappy movies for inspiration, nor do we need pushups. The Indian army has an elite unit of snipers that don't use any muscle relaxants, and simply use yoga to stay still in one position in the mountains covered for days at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.