India Med Students Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, So far, Looks like I'm the only one headed for India for Med School. This should be a wonderful experience.

I like to start a forum for those of us in India and for those of us going over to India for med school. I'm not sure just how many US citizens go to India for med school since India is not one of the popular destinations.

Well it's up to us to build this community and show em who we are.

Jasmine

Members don't see this ad.

I will be going to St. Luke school of Medicine in Pune, India. The campus is located at St. Andrew's International Academy. I'll do my basic sciences there and then do my rotations in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by poly
I checked http://imed.ecfmg.org/results.asp?c...rpage=1&cname=&city=&region=0&rname=&psize=25

No St. Luke listed for India!

Is this the St. Luke run by a Dr. Dolphin?

Will your degree say it is from Liberia or Ghana? And how would it be reported to ECFMG?

Which state do you want to get your full medical licensure from?

St. Luke school medicine is not listed in India...it's is listed in Ghana and Liberia Africa. I'm going to Pune, India for my Basic Sciences since you can't go to Liberia right now (due to the war) and I don't feel safe in Ghana. So, I will go do my basic sciences at Pune, India. No, I don't know which campus I will register for since that is so far in advance right now. and Yes it's run by Dr. Dolphin.

As far as how the school is reported to ECFMG, I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean is St. Luke School of Medicine recognized by ECFMG, yes the school is recognized by ECFMG and graduates are able to be licensed in the US. So, far from our private discussion board, I have yet to read any student not able to become licensed in the US. Although not all of SLSOM student are going to practice medicine in the US.

Well...I have class now gotta go...if you have more questions, feel free to ask as long as your not going to start bashing my school. There is enough of that on the regular board. I came here to have peace of mind and talk with those who are seriously considering schools in Asia and Africa.

Originally posted by Jasminegab
Well...I have class now gotta go...if you have more questions, feel free to ask as long as your not going to start bashing my school. There is enough of that on the regular board. I came here to have peace of mind and talk with those who are seriously considering schools in Asia and Africa.

ok, I wont bash this school. But allow me to point you to a few posts and I will leave it at that.

http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?p=27730#27730
http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?p=28625#28625
http://www.internetmedicalschool.homestead.com/

One interesting point that Poly never took the time to show you is a link to a post of an accepted individual into SLSOM and the deceptive ways Azskeptic (Dean Hughson, whom claims to be a consumer advocate?) and others tried to use to convince him that SLSOM is fruad and should be held as a skeptical school to attend.

Azskeptic whom poly refers to is not a student of SLSOM nor is he a legitimate source to get your information from concerning which schools are worth applying to and which aren't-keep in mind, creditable sources always list just how they obtained the information and the sources they used to obatin the information. Never do they use their own opinion based on information which they don't have facts on). When you read the link below you will see what followed was a long soga about the faculty's credentials listed on SLSOM faculty website.

Azskeptic went through great lengths to prove that since one faculty member listed that he has a degree from SLSOM (could it be possible that the President of the school issued Dr. Arnett an honorary degree and that Dr. Arnett came to be V.P. of SLSOM?) and that this same faculty member is a contact member for another Medical school, and Dr. Arnett graduated from a carribean medical that later was found to be connected to selling MD degrees online, SLSOM must be bogus and Dr. Arnett must have purchased his degree from online as well. Azskeptic had almost convinced this student that SLSOM is run by bogus faculty members and everyone should be skeptical of SLSOM.

Not because SLSOM is not what it claims to be nor that it had a proven track record of student complaints, but over faculty credentials which is obvious he's knows nothing about and is clearly basing his bias on opinions, not facts. The would be student continue to contact the VP (Dr. Arnett) and President (Dr. Dolphin) of SLSOM and finally agreed that he would base his final decision on what his state medical board had to say of the whole situation in terms of him becoming licensed and taking his first 2 yrs (basic sciences) online.

Well, the board responded that he would be able to be licensed. The would be student then responded to Azskeptic and the others that he had made the final decision to attend SLSOM. Azskeptic and other's continued to try to convince this would be student that SLSOM is a school to be skeptical over and not worth the time to attend. Azskeptic, having clearly been proven wrong that the would be student would never be able to become licensed nor obtain a residency, never once offered a formal apology. Azskeptic went on to post the links that Poly listed in his post.

I know the information Azskeptic is claiming is false because once you become accepted into SLSOM, just like any other medical school, you recieve a list of residency spots, you are put into contact with other students in the school and you recieve information that outsiders normally do not have access to. Now with this information at hand, you be the judge! Read the threads posted by me and poly and you be your own judge.

I will not respond to any other post that resemble the post like poly or Azskeptic. I only responded to this one because I felt that I needed to defend SLSOM being a accepted Fall 2004 student. But what point is it because I'm getting what I need to get and going where I need to go to become a competent physician despite what anyone thinks.

Azskeptic tactics of trying to convince a would be studen't that SLSOM is a fraud

Originally posted by poly
If you go to St. Luke and study in Pune, India, where St. Luke is not chartered, you may have this problem in the future.

http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?p=44925&highlight=#44925
http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?p=44865&highlight=#44865

Shakes her head....This guy just does not give up does he? Apparently he knows more about SLSOM than the students who are attending and those who are graduating this spring. I know that he is not a student or ex-student or else he would not be trying so hard as many other whom no nothing about our school find anything to prove that our school is bogus or a fraud. Though I'm sure that there are some school out there that potential students do need to be skeptical over, SLSOM is not one of them. I'm ending my debate on this with this guy here and now. As I stated before, anyone who wants the truth about SLSOM, please post or email me. Or, you can believe what Poly and the other are trying so hard to prove that our school is bogus and a fraud. You be the judge.

Best of luck everyone, I have studies to attend to rather than keep a debate going with someone that knows nothing about our school.

Jasmine

the name of the school sounds funny and so does the doctors ,i studied in india at manipal ,and trust me i dotn thnk that school is any good , nevr evn heard of it even though i had friends in pune , if it is there then it s filled with losers with money to become doctors but not brains cause the only few good scholls are mahe and srgc ,
so good luck with ur school

My friend from high school went to India for med school. I went straight out of high school into med school. By the time I finish my premed classes he ll have finished his MD.

Do u think that he ll have difficulty getting a residency position in the US?

More specifically a more competitive position? Like surgery?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I studied in India and have never heard of St.Luke
And also, wondering how it is possible for a university affliated in Liberia to conduct classes in India(i mean for medicine specifically) considering the fact that Medical Council of India doesnot recognize any foreign degrees(even from U.S).
And also, where will you do your clinical rotations. I can say with confidence that in India, it will not be possible to do it legally and how will an US institution or hospital allow a foreign trained medical graduate/student to do rotation without cleating USMLE.

I'll try to steer this discussion back to where it was supposed to be going... instead of a "your med school sux" discussion...
I was born and raised in the US... New Orleans...
Then i decided (rather, my parents) that I would go back to India for Med School...
My parents were from Hyderabad, so they suggested Deccan College of Medical Sciences... They said Manipal would be back-up...
I not knowing one place from the other in India... figured the known was better than the unknown... so got into DCMS...
I don't care what anyone else says... unless you did all of your schooling in India, there is no justification for going there for Med school...
You might as well admit it that you could not get into an American Med School... same with the Carribean...
It's amazing how people try and prop their Med School's up, and in doing that, feel that they're propping themselves up...
Just do your studying and pass the boards and get into a good residency... then you can brag about yourself...
So... where's everyone else from?
P.S. Don't get me wrong... I loved my experience in Hyderabad and wouldn't have changed what i did... but I'm not gonna say i went to a great med school...

Hi guys,
i was born and bred in India and went to med school to manipal.
Since 1994 indian citizens have to compete their way into KMC , an all indi entrance. Proud to say that is in the top 10 of over 100 med schools in india. The students from manipal compete for all residencies in india , myself included. Before coming to the US , i had joined as a resident in AIIMS which is among the most reputed institutes in asia and certainly number 1 in india.I have now seen many hosps in the US and i realise that AIIMS was certainly superior to many in terms of patient outcome, education , facilities and expertise. Name it and you have it there with distinguished faculty.
Anyway regarding residency placement of any FMG from any foreign med school any where outside the US, it is a matter of sheer luck to get surgical or other competitive residencies. Of course it takes hard work but only the lucky ones get them.
It could be called PROTECTIONISM , that applications from FMGs are not considered at many good places and for competitive fields. But they are also right on their part that an american med student has to go through 4 yrs of college and then 4 yrs of med school and has so much of debt. So if they completely open their doors , it would leave many of their own students struggling.
I think about it in a way that if some foreign grad wanted to do neurosurg or cardiac surg in AIIMS , then he would be at a disadvantage over similar qualified candidates from the home country. There are many med students from middle east , southeast asia who try for and do residencies there because of sheer reputation.
SO I GUESS EVERY NATION WILL THINK OF ITS OWN STUDENTS FIRST.
Having studied in a top med school in india and then some residency experience in the best institute , i feel very prepared for residency.
Studying in a good competitive med school reflects in your USMLE scores. Every candidate competes an exam to get in a competitive place and then it is a competition between competitive students. Many of my manipal batchmates who were indian students have very good scores. I am not very sure of those who came to manipal under ' foreign student category' because they did not have an entrance test.
In AIIMS many people take the USMLE and almost eveyone has scores above 90 in both steps. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING , but it is a running joke in AIIMS that 'usmle is easy'. There are quite a few people with double 99s , but many decide to stay in india and pursue residencies which we know an FMG can never get into.

Originally posted by Dramkinola

P.S. Don't get me wrong... I loved my experience in Hyderabad and wouldn't have changed what i did... but I'm not gonna say i went to a great med school... [/B]

Hi Dramkinola I am from Hyderabad and in my opinion Deccan Medical College is probably one of the worst kind of Medical Colleges in India(no offence). In Hyderabad itself there is Osmania Medical College and Gandhi Medical College and both of them are excellent in terms of patient pool and facilities. Though not comparable to US Medical Schools in terms of technology, these and many such Medical Colleges in India produce graduates who score 90+ in USMLE step 1 and step 2 with ease. These graduates also have excellent clinical knowledge.

As IMGforNeuro has mention AIIMS is a great Med School but there are more JIPMER-pondicherry, PGI-Chandigarh and more. May be some Medicine graduates from India can elaborate more on Med schools in India.

Ind_dentist

My experience has been that IMGs from India have a vast experience in clinical medicine. they are not that advanced technology wise though(MRI etc). But the med schools there offer great teaching. most med schools are above average. very very few are bad.

Tom345 said:
My experience has been that IMGs from India have a vast experience in clinical medicine. they are not that advanced technology wise though(MRI etc). But the med schools there offer great teaching. most med schools are above average. very very few are bad.

Very true. AIIMS is a great institution. Many know that :smuggrin:

Tom345 said:
I would say that the good med schools in India do not lag in technology, have every speciality and subspeciality and equipment. But the below average med schools are certainly not well equipped. So i would say there is more variation from good to bad med schools in India compared to the US.
QUESTION: How many med students actually USE technology? How many are masters of angiography , MRI, PET or Echo?
MY ANSWER- NONE
These things matter at the level of specialization and subspecialization when you are learning to use them. A med student has to learn basic sciences followed by the basics of clinical medicine (including inv and treatments).
Foreign med students from good med schools do not lag behind in terms of exposure to technology. And very few med schools are actually 'bad'.
HONESTLY- I don't want to offend anyone , but the good and better med schools in India hardly take foreign (non Indian citizen) students. They are filled through open competition and the pre requisite is Indian citizenship. Some have few seats for foreigners which is also thru entrance test.
The reason people in the US do not know about these schools is because most foreign students go to the 'bad' schools which are 'selling' degrees.
Sad, but true.
The few exceptions include Manipal. I am sure anyone going to Manipal would notice the difference between local and foreign students in terms of academic performance, no offence intended.

can someone pls tell me how many years does it take to graduate from indian med or dent school? thank you!

Halitosis said:
can someone pls tell me how many years does it take to graduate from indian med or dent school? thank you!
Well, I am heading off to Sri Ramachandra Medical College (Deemed University) srmc.edu in about a week and a half, and I am told I will be spending 4.5 years there before I graduate. Hope this helps.

vstyle said:
Well, I am heading off to Sri Ramachandra Medical College (Deemed University) srmc.edu in about a week and a half, and I am told I will be spending 4.5 years there before I graduate. Hope this helps.
If you dont fail, then 4.5 years, until internship, and additional 1 year.

Good luck. Its a good place (I am an alumni). Study hard.

MustafaMond said:
If you dont fail, then 4.5 years, until internship, and additional 1 year.

Good luck. Its a good place (I am an alumni). Study hard.

MustafaMond, the way you put it, you make it seem like failing is a relatively common thing. Is this the case? I hope not.

Lastly, were you an NRI? The reason I ask is that I'll be coming from the states and was looking for some insight from an NRI there. If not, no big deal. So, anyway, when did you finish there and where are you currently working?

vstyle said:
MustafaMond, the way you put it, you make it seem like failing is a relatively common thing. Is this the case? I hope not.

Lastly, were you an NRI? The reason I ask is that I'll be coming from the states and was looking for some insight from an NRI there. If not, no big deal. So, anyway, when did you finish there and where are you currently working?
Im NRI, and started in '95.
I'm currently a PGY-3 IM resident in TN.
Failing IS a common thing, and to protect yourself you need to bust the books really hard, and make a good impression on the professors.
I had a great time there, and the time I spent in India was the best time of my life.

MustafaMond said:
Im NRI, and started in '95.
I'm currently a PGY-3 IM resident in TN.
Failing IS a common thing, and to protect yourself you need to bust the books really hard, and make a good impression on the professors.
I had a great time there, and the time I spent in India was the best time of my life.

MustafaMond, thanks for the advice and congratulations on your own progression thus far. Hopefully, I don't have to experience failure in my effort to adjust to the new learning experience and, don't worry, I plan to bust my butt.

Well, it's very exciting to hear from an NRI who graduated from SRMC. As you can probably imagine, I have tons of questions I'd like to ask you, but I'll limit myself to a few.

First of all, did you go straight to SRMC after high school? Or, did you finish your undergraduate here before departing? In my case, I went to undergraduate first.

Secondly, amidst all the work were you able to establish any kind of social life? If so, was it fruitful in anyway to the overall experience.

Thirdly, did you have any trouble acquirring a residency position once returning to the US?

Finally, can you offer any other valuable advice for a soon to be first year student,.... I leave on July 11 from Michigan and my orientation begins July 14, although I'm not exactly certain when classes actually start. I've heard August 1st, but then I've also heard it starts shortly after orientation, so we'll see. Either way, I feel as prepared as I can be and very excited.

Oh one more thing, is there any kind of dress code for males during class time and in general on campus. For instance, in the video and brochures they provide, it seems that for men, khakis and a dress shirt are mandatory wear. Anyway, If I think of any more important questions to ask I'll ask them. I recognize that I asked you quite a bit already, so I'd just like you to know that I really appreciate the advice you have already given and any further input/advice/insight you can provide to help better prepare me for my upcoming experience. Thanks for your time.

Wish me luck

NRAI2001 said:
My friend from high school went to India for med school. I went straight out of high school into med school. By the time I finish my premed classes he ll have finished his MD.

WRONG, HE WILL NOT HAVE FINISHED AN MD, BUT AN MBBS AND THAT TOO, IT TAKES 5 AND HALF YEARS. ( I AM TAKING THE INTERNSHIP INTO ACCOUNT TOO ). TO DO AN MD IN INDIA IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY DIFFICULT BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY 25-30 ALL OVER INDIA FOR MD. SO PEOPLE MOSTLY DO A DIPLOMA AND THEN CLEAR THEIR USMLE FOR A RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES.

I AM STUDYING AT SRI RAMACHANDRA MEDICAL COLLEGE IN CHENNAI AND MANY US BASED NRI'S ARE DOING THE SAME THING YOUR FRIEND DID.

vstyle said:
First of all, did you go straight to SRMC after high school? Or, did you finish your undergraduate here before departing? In my case, I went to undergraduate first.

Secondly, amidst all the work were you able to establish any kind of social life? If so, was it fruitful in anyway to the overall experience.

Thirdly, did you have any trouble acquirring a residency position once returning to the US?

Finally, can you offer any other valuable advice for a soon to be first year student,....

Oh one more thing, is there any kind of dress code for males during class time and in general on campus.
1)
V, I went straight out of HS. It was a hard transition, but one I made well. If you have the maturity that comes from a couple of years of UG, It will help you tremendously.

2) Social life-yes- very fruitful- the time of my life. Good people in madras, a LOT of city kids that have a lot of fun, a LOT of disco-action, and a LOT of beautiful people that go out at night. I advise you to concentrate on developing a social life.
Go out as much as possible, and find out who is cool, and hang out with tem on weekends.

3) REsidency spot- No prob. Signed pre-match, had good scores. Know that USMLE step 1 is HUGE. Try and take it after 2nd year. Kick its ass.

4) Advice---relax...everyone is hardcore the fist few months. Don't get caught ip in that fake $hit. Its an act. People studying in the library all day, etc., etc. Just make sure and listen in class...even the worst professor can teach you one or two things in that hour. Try and read from a viewpoint of interest, and challenge...not just for exams. Learn to memorize tables, charts etc. for written exams. Keep a good name with professors...don't be scared of them, like everyone else is...be bold.

5) Dress code...not for guys. Of course-pants and shirt for lectures, no jeans to lectures (I didn't go by that) But its not bad at all.

Mustafa, its great to find and SRMC alumni here, since I will be starting my MBBS course there in a week or so.

Could you briefly tell me how to tackle anatomy so that I successfully handle it? I find it extremely volatile and there are key questions that proffessors like to ask.

Also, I went to the library and checked out some text books.

For anatomy, I have chosen to use B.D.Chaurasia (with Gray's for reference only).

For Physiology---- Mahapatra

For Biochemsirty everyone uses SatyendNarayan but I dont find it helpful.

For now I hav Lippinkott's illustarted review of biochem and its great.
But I need a proper text book. Could you suggest one to me?

Thanks.

Souvik Sen.

Souvik_Sen said:
WRONG, HE WILL NOT HAVE FINISHED AN MD, BUT AN MBBS AND THAT TOO, IT TAKES 5 AND HALF YEARS. ( I AM TAKING THE INTERNSHIP INTO ACCOUNT TOO ). TO DO AN MD IN INDIA IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY DIFFICULT BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY 25-30 ALL OVER INDIA FOR MD. SO PEOPLE MOSTLY DO A DIPLOMA AND THEN CLEAR THEIR USMLE FOR A RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES.

I AM STUDYING AT SRI RAMACHANDRA MEDICAL COLLEGE IN CHENNAI AND MANY US BASED NRI'S ARE DOING THE SAME THING YOUR FRIEND DID.

What is a MBBS? How is it different from an MD?

Souvik_Sen said:
Mustafa, its great to find and SRMC alumni here, since I will be starting my MBBS course there in a week or so.

Could you briefly tell me how to tackle anatomy so that I successfully handle it? I find it extremely volatile and there are key questions that proffessors like to ask.

Also, I went to the library and checked out some text books.

For anatomy, I have chosen to use B.D.Chaurasia (with Gray's for reference only).

For Physiology---- Mahapatra

For Biochemsirty everyone uses SatyendNarayan but I dont find it helpful.

For now I hav Lippinkott's illustarted review of biochem and its great.
But I need a proper text book. Could you suggest one to me?

Thanks.

Souvik Sen.

Use whatever book you are comfortable with.
To study for Anatomy, compile ALL the old university exams you can find, and study the questions from that pile....you will do fine.
THats my advice for ALL exams, not just anatomy.

We used Haroers biochem...I liked lippincotts..like I said, its a matter of personal preference.

What were your first impressions there vstyle?
How is it after 2-3 months now?

I have some questions about admissions. What is the procedure? Is there an entrance exam that you took? I heard that some people get in with a "large donation".

Do they accept anyone that is 26-27 years old? I finished my undergrad in the US, and am a little interested in that school. Sorry for all these questions, srmc.edu website is not very helpful.

You mentioned a video/brochure, how did you request for one?

Thanks.

Hey guys, just wanted to clarify a few things.Firstly for those of u who don't know,MBBS is equivalent to the MD in USA.In India,MD is equivalent to residency in the USA.

It may be difficult to get an MD in India because one has to compete in Post graduate entrance examinations to acquire a position and your field is decided pretty much by your rank in that entrance exam.

ANd definitely there are a lot of seats available and not 25 or 30 only !! Why,there are more than 300 seats in Delhi itself.But of course none of these are 'capitation' colleges.

And what's the point of doing an MD in India unless you want to live there ??

Hey all,

I'm a Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences student in Pondicherry as an NRI, unfortunately the ONLY NRI from US. I know there's a lot of people from Ramachandra who are from the US. I was wondering if I could meet up with anyone because I'm getting a little homesick. I'm having a decent time but it'd be nice if I could hang with NRI's from the US. Anyways, my email is [email protected]. This isn't a dating post btw.

Thanks

emortio said:
Hey all,

I'm a Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences student in Pondicherry as an NRI, unfortunately the ONLY NRI from US. I know there's a lot of people from Ramachandra who are from the US. I was wondering if I could meet up with anyone because I'm getting a little homesick. I'm having a decent time but it'd be nice if I could hang with NRI's from the US. Anyways, my email is [email protected]. This isn't a dating post btw.

Thanks

woah how is pondicherry? Are you enjoying your time in India? do some people really speak french there?

DoctorMalki said:
woah how is pondicherry? Are you enjoying your time in India? do some people really speak french there?

It's not bad, just getting too much attention. I love the weekends because it's very private (most of the people are gone from the hostel). The area is beautiful, the water is just fine, and the people are nice. People do speak french here, Indians included. Unfortunately I spent 5 years in the US learning Spanish, won't do me much good here. Regardless, I still have to learn Tamil, I only know Telegu. Still in need to meet some US NRI's, please do email me, I got one response and I appreciate it. Again the email is

[email protected]

Thanks.

To those of you who attended SRMC or Manipal or Pondi, how much tuition did you pay ?? Was there a donation system??? Can you elaborate on the pricing structure??
BTW, how much sense does it make for someone with a BS to go to India for MBBS (I mean time wise .. 5.1/2 years and everything.. I know for HS students.. it is perfect )
Thanks for the inputs guys..

IMGforNeuro said:
Hi guys,
Since 1994 indian citizens have to compete their way into KMC , an all indi entrance. Proud to say that is in the top 10 of over 100 med schools in india. The students from manipal compete for all residencies in india , myself included. Before coming to the US , i had joined as a resident in AIIMS which is among the most reputed institutes in asia and certainly number 1 in india.I have now seen many hosps in the US and i realise that AIIMS was certainly superior to many in terms of patient outcome, education , facilities and expertise. Name it and you have it there with distinguished faculty.
Anyway regarding residency placement of any FMG from any foreign med school any where outside the US, it is a matter of sheer luck to get surgical or other competitive residencies. Of course it takes hard work but only the lucky ones get them.
It could be called PROTECTIONISM , that applications from FMGs are not considered at many good places and for competitive fields. But they are also right on their part that an american med student has to go through 4 yrs of college and then 4 yrs of med school and has so much of debt. So if they completely open their doors , it would leave many of their own students struggling.
I think about it in a way that if some foreign grad wanted to do neurosurg or cardiac surg in AIIMS , then he would be at a disadvantage over similar qualified candidates from the home country. There are many med students from middle east , southeast asia who try for and do residencies there because of sheer reputation.
Having studied in a top med school in india and then some residency experience in the best institute , i feel very prepared for residency.
Studying in a good competitive med school reflects in your USMLE scores. Every candidate competes an exam to get in a competitive place and then it is a competition between competitive students. Many of my manipal batchmates who were indian students have very good scores. I am not very sure of those who came to manipal under ' foreign student category' because they did not have an entrance test.
In AIIMS many people take the USMLE and almost eveyone has scores above 90 in both steps. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING , but it is a running joke in AIIMS that 'usmle is easy'. There are quite a few people with double 99s , but many decide to stay in india and pursue residencies which we know an FMG can never get into.

hi...

just noted that u mentioned the 90+ scores in usmle in aiims....ur rite.....almost every1 ends up getting a 99 in step 1...n some even double 99s...the rest get 90+ in step 2 anyway....

futuris2kl

just out of curiousity, for someone born and raised in the US, and getting a BS at a US undergrad, what is it like transitioning for medical school in India? For any of you out there who have done this, has cultural adjustment been a big obstacle? I mean, obviously I'm not talking about people that have never been to India or have never spent a fair amount of time there. Thats a different story, but for those of us, who are very familiar with living in different parts of India, but just have never been to school there, is it easy to adjust? I feel like going to Manipal would probably not be that big of a jump from the US school systems, the facilities, the city, almost college town feel. Likewise I think transitioning at SRMC would probably be doable too, given the city feel. I'm guessing AIIMS is probably the same deal.

does anyone know anything about twinning programs, like the one at KMC with Loma Linda?

Would you mind to share how to apply at JIPMER. I am a wakeforest student with premed major. I am telugu too.
Thanks.

'm a Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences student in Pondicherry as an NRI, unfortunately the ONLY NRI from US. I know there's a lot of people from Ramachandra who are from the US. I was wondering if I could meet up with anyone because I'm getting a little homesick. I'm having a decent time but it'd be nice if I could hang with NRI's from the US. Anyways, my email is [email protected]. This isn't a dating post btw.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi ,
Can you please guide me how to apply at SRMC. how much tution. Is it safe place. I am in NJ. you can call me or mail me at [email protected]
Waiting for your reply.

MustafaMond said:
1)
V, I went straight out of HS. It was a hard transition, but one I made well. If you have the maturity that comes from a couple of years of UG, It will help you tremendously.

2) Social life-yes- very fruitful- the time of my life. Good people in madras, a LOT of city kids that have a lot of fun, a LOT of disco-action, and a LOT of beautiful people that go out at night. I advise you to concentrate on developing a social life.
Go out as much as possible, and find out who is cool, and hang out with tem on weekends.

3) REsidency spot- No prob. Signed pre-match, had good scores. Know that USMLE step 1 is HUGE. Try and take it after 2nd year. Kick its ass.

4) Advice---relax...everyone is hardcore the fist few months. Don't get caught ip in that fake $hit. Its an act. People studying in the library all day, etc., etc. Just make sure and listen in class...even the worst professor can teach you one or two things in that hour. Try and read from a viewpoint of interest, and challenge...not just for exams. Learn to memorize tables, charts etc. for written exams. Keep a good name with professors...don't be scared of them, like everyone else is...be bold.

5) Dress code...not for guys. Of course-pants and shirt for lectures, no jeans to lectures (I didn't go by that) But its not bad at all.

i'll be starting this aug/sept at M.S Ramaiah College in Bangalore. Any alumni or anyone here going to that school...please let me know so that i can get in contact with y'all. Or anyone in bangalore, thats fine too.

Hi, i am soon gonna be a citizen of the u.s. i have been here for almost 5 yrs and i really like it here. i have been told that it's getting insanely hard to get residency for the FMG's because a factor that precludes several FMG's to be appointed residency is their med school. the residency programs do give priority to the american med school or so i have heard, and it is completely understandable. i am really comfortable with my atmosphere and i do believe i can get into a med school here, and i don't want to miss out on the experiences and processes of maturation that one goes in undergrad. i wanna really prepare myself before med school by taking the general classes in bio, chem, and all that before i actually START the med school. but my parents do not believe that i can make it, so they r trying to send me to india. now, if i do go there, it wud be mysore medical college. how do u think is the mysore medical school? does anyone currently attend it or has attended it in the past? does anyone know how many NRI's are in there, especially the ones from the u.s. and canada?

2 semesters of general: chem, bio, organic chem, physics in u.s. undergrads are completed in junior and senior years under the CBSE board in india. 80% of it can also be covered by taking AP classes in these subjects. now, anyone who went to india right after high school in the u.s., did you guys take AP classes, if not, how did u cover all that material OR do they review it in med school or even teach the entire curriculum.

IMGforNeuro said:
Hi guys,

R u in neurology or neurosurgery? where did u superspecialise? is that AIIMS or USA?

This is a very personal question, but i shall send you a pm.

Beware of FAKE medical schools....

Dramkinola said:
I'll try to steer this discussion back to where it was supposed to be going... instead of a "your med school sux" discussion...
I was born and raised in the US... New Orleans...
Then i decided (rather, my parents) that I would go back to India for Med School...
My parents were from Hyderabad, so they suggested Deccan College of Medical Sciences... They said Manipal would be back-up...
I not knowing one place from the other in India... figured the known was better than the unknown... so got into DCMS...
I don't care what anyone else says... unless you did all of your schooling in India, there is no justification for going there for Med school...
You might as well admit it that you could not get into an American Med School... same with the Carribean...
It's amazing how people try and prop their Med School's up, and in doing that, feel that they're propping themselves up...
Just do your studying and pass the boards and get into a good residency... then you can brag about yourself...
So... where's everyone else from?
P.S. Don't get me wrong... I loved my experience in Hyderabad and wouldn't have changed what i did... but I'm not gonna say i went to a great med school...

It's sad to see someone make a generalization about Indian med schools based on Deccan, a minority college without proper funding and staff. Hyderabad itself has a good medical school (Osmania) and another decent one (Ghandhi), but you chose to attend Deccan. That college would find itself at the bottom of any ranking of medical schools in the state of A.P. You should have researched schools better before you made a commitment to a worthless college. How could you have considered Manipal (a top ten school) as a "back up" and Deccan as your first choice? I don't mean to offend anyone, but this rant was a necessary rebuttal to your misinformed and derogatory comments.