Indian instruments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious, if people in here play any Indian instruments. Or for that matter, combine their western beats with classical combination of the tabla and the sitar. We were recently having a discussion in pre allo and that triggered my question.

Oh by the way, myself and sunny- (supersunny), we play the tabla together :D
We get accompanied by sitar a lot. Although sunny is more proficient than me :thumbup: :p ;) and he doesnt need the mike to produce a loud sound lol. Sunny , dint you crack up the first day I couldn't get sound out of the "ta" hit? :mad: Wait, I dont know if he checks this forum anymore, lol

But yes, if only I could play for a bhangra sound track- not the regular bhangra music, but a little made up with new ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

hey i used to play the tabla too! ;)

priyanka said:
I was curious, if people in here play any Indian instruments. Or for that matter, combine their western beats with classical combination of the tabla and the sitar. We were recently having a discussion in pre allo and that triggered my question.

Oh by the way, myself and sunny- (supersunny), we play the tabla together :D
We get accompanied by sitar a lot. Although sunny is more proficient than me :thumbup: :p ;) and he doesnt need the mike to produce a loud sound lol. Sunny , dint you crack up the first day I couldn't get sound out of the "ta" hit? :mad: Wait, I dont know if he checks this forum anymore, lol

But yes, if only I could play for a bhangra sound track- not the regular bhangra music, but a little made up with new ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice, the sitar is so cool.
It actually produces nightingaly sounds. Dont tell me how it sounds when played intensely. because its just gorgeous. If tabla isnt accompanied b y the sitar, it gets a little boring, but if sitar is played alone, it is still soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
the best is when the tabla mimics the sitar :)

I got me two vids that I made, I'm gonna try and erduce the file size, then I'll let you have a gander. Another person here was interested too, allergic2morons, so when I get the time, I'll PM you. I do a lot of standalone stuff, because there aren't any other tabla players that I know of :D , and my style of playing the sitar is different...well for one major reasons, I don't have a tanpura in the background. So you'll see how I manage there.

How long you been playing the tabla?

prady said:
hey i used t play the tabla too! ;)

lol, thats so cool. The thing is you gotta keeppppp praticing to be good at it, so I'd say pursue your initial love. Your wife might love you extra:p You basically touch a woman's heart in its cardio momvement when you touch the tabla.

priyanka said:
nice, the sitar is so cool.
It actually produces nightingaly sounds. Dont tell me how it sounds when played intensely. because its just gorgeous. If tabla isnt accompanied b y the sitar, it gets a little boring, but if sitar is played alone, it is still soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
the best is when the tabla mimics the sitar :)
Can you explain that "tabla mimics the sitar"?

data said:
Can you explain that "tabla mimics the sitar"?
it's when the sitar plays a set of notes, and the tabla matches them. Watch a Ravi Shankar and Alla Rakha performance.

priyanka said:
lol, thats so cool. The thing is you gotta keeppppp praticing to be good at it, so I'd say pursue your initial love. Your wife might love you extra:p You basically touch a woman's heart in its cardio momvement when you touch the tabla.
I play tabla once a month for about 4months straight. :D My friend who is about 11 year old is already a master at it. He plays in front of large audiences all the time. Very gifted. He is my guru..lol. In exchange I play hockey with him. I am in love with the sarod. Beautiful instrument. I'm going to name my kid sarode..hahahaha

sunny123 said:
it's when the sitar plays a set of notes, and the tabla matches them. Watch a Ravi Shankar and Alla Rakha performance.
I love it when the sarod player plays so fast for so long he begins to sweat and doesn't even wipe his sweat off. WOW THATS INTENSE. Sitar is good, but i find it mostly played very slow. :(

^ tell me who and what you have listened to, and I'll recommend some good tracks.

Also, I'm a very big fan of the surbahar (the bass sitar) and sarod. I want to get an esraj too.

sunny123 said:
Also, I'm a very big fan of the surbahar (the bass sitar) and sarod. I want to get an esraj too.
One thing i enjoy in indian instruments is their craftmanship.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup u r right!rewaz/practice is the essence!& btw, :laugh: i'm still single lol!!
priyanka said:

sunny123 said:
Esraj is too bulky. Why don't you get a violin then?

music will alwayz b my first love! :love: basically,i'm into singing!i used to learn hindustani classical singing/vocal;gwalior gharana!i had to quit due to my studies!but, if given an oppurtunity,i want to still pursue singing! :)

Tabla is ok-
but I prefer Table
The most Musical notes I could ever boast of creating were when I beated up a musician for practising at wrong hours in hostel. ;)

:laugh:
DrGarfield said:
Tabla is ok-
but I prefer Table
The most Musical notes I could ever boast of creating were when I beated up a musician for practising at wrong hours in hostel. ;)

DrGarfield said:
Tabla is ok-
but I prefer Table

Apraa Gujju bhai at his best :laugh:

I do that too :laugh: :laugh:

priyanka said:
. Your wife might love you extra:p You basically touch a woman's heart in its cardio momvement when you touch the tabla.

hey can u explain that?? i am also a small time tabla exponent but never heard such amazing analogy anywhere :p can u tell me what woman like most about tabla,perhaps it would help me woo my girlfriend :p

allergic2morons said:
hey can u explain that?? i am also a small time tabla exponent but never heard such amazing analogy anywhere :p can u tell me what woman like most about tabla,perhaps it would help me woo my girlfriend :p

lol
haha actually depends really..oh the girl If you play tabla with all your heart, it just shows your sensitivity and commitment, which is what makes the girl feels secure.. nothing more..but apparently these are the most important things that make each minute of the relationship as romantic as a rainy wet night..

priyanka said:
lol
haha actually depends really..oh the girl If you play tabla with all your heart, it just shows your sensitivity and commitment, which is what makes the girl feels secure.. nothing more..but apparently these are the most important things that make each minute of the relationship as romantic as a rainy wet night..

Hmmmmmmmm I must say i am impressed! but how can i get my gf to listen me while i am playing tabla???? she doesnt like classical stuff :(

what does she like?i can help u,if u want!
allergic2morons said:
Hmmmmmmmm I must say i am impressed! but how can i get my gf to listen me while i am playing tabla???? she doesnt like classical stuff :(

prady said:
what does she like?i can help u,if u want!

she into bryan adams, mltr, robbie williams, celion dion u knnow all that girly stuff :p

well if u really want to impress her,start playing the harmonium! :laugh: just kidding!
allergic2morons said:
she into bryan adams, mltr, robbie williams, celion dion u knnow all that girly stuff :p