Indian Medical Student, I Want to do residency in the US. Help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pegasus4999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm currently doing MBBS in India. Im in my final year and I want to do residency in the USA and work there as well. I know about the USMLE steps. But i hear getting into a residency program is tough as a foreign medical graduate. what should i do to boost my chances besides high USMLE Scores? I heard a lot about research experience, getting published, getting US Clinical experience, getting letters of recommendation etc.?
I don't know how to do any of that. when and how should i do all this? during or after my MBBS? and letters of recommendation from where? from my college here in india? please help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I'm currently doing MBBS in India. Im in my final year and I want to do residency in the USA and work there as well. I know about the USMLE steps. But i hear getting into a residency program is tough as a foreign medical graduate. what should i do to boost my chances besides high USMLE Scores? I heard a lot about research experience, getting published, getting US Clinical experience, getting letters of recommendation etc.?
I don't know how to do any of that. when and how should i do all this? during or after my MBBS? and letters of recommendation from where? from my college here in india? please help
You cannot get true US clinical experience after you complete your degree. Therefore it is recommended that you set up US-based clinical rotations before you graduate.

The letters of recommendation should all come from US physicians, which are obtained during your clinical rotations here. A letter from your med school faculty will be practically useless as it will be assumed that they know very little about the practice of medicine in the US.

Finally visa status is a particular sticking point for many obtaining a US green card, which is not easy to do, but also significantly increase your chances of obtaining a residency here.

Reactions: 1 user
Another aboard the Brain Drain Train from India... :whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
ok.. thank you.. i have a whole load of questions... don't even know where to start...

You cannot get true US clinical experience after you complete your degree. Therefore it is recommended that you set up US-based clinical rotations before you graduate.

The letters of recommendation should all come from US physicians, which are obtained during your clinical rotations here. A letter from your med school faculty will be practically useless as it will be assumed that they know very little about the practice of medicine in the US.

Finally visa status is a particular sticking point for many obtaining a US green card, which is not easy to do, but also significantly increase your chances of obtaining a residency here.

thank you so much for the reply. now could you guide me on how to get into a clinical elective in the US? which universities are foreign medical student friendly? how do i apply?
for the electives, what are the specialties to which i can apply to and actually stand a chance of getting into?

thank you so much for the reply. now could you guide me on how to get into a clinical elective in the US? which universities are foreign medical student friendly? how do i apply?
for the electives, what are the specialties to which i can apply to and actually stand a chance of getting into?
There are forums on SDN more focused on foreign med students -- you might find someone who has actually done this and can give you tips. US allo students and grads are less likely to be able to help you on these specifics.

Reactions: 1 user