indian vs us medschools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggmed_india

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is just to get a few things clear ..i guess
I'm a 4th yr med student studying in India..and i've read alot abt medschool in the US..and the differences that i found were..

1. Most importantly ..the duration 5 and 1/2 yrs here..and in the us a total of 7 yrs.
We get in tender out of high school and are mostly completely unprepared and more importantly have no idea abt why we're becoming doctors..( this is of course based on my personal interactions with tthe people around me)
U know the stories abt ...i was something first and then it sudden;y struck me that i wanna be a doc. ...i haven't heard a single story like that here. it's just abt ..who can afford the coaching ..and can get tthru the Endless PREMEDICAl tests.
Somehow that saddens me .

2. Training is not PBL ...simply lecture sessions.

3. Hardly any breaks in between . My summer breaks hardly last for 15 days ,...and are usually overshadowed by 3-4 tests announced before hand. To complete the vast syllabus most hols.. all i do is study.
There is usually no hope of anything like research.
That i guess makes us poor candidates when applying for residency prograames elsewhere
My winter breaks get converted into Preparatory leave for the final end of yr exams.

4. Internship for 1 yr at the end of 4 1/2 yrs. And all we have to do is fill out forms and withdraw bld or dress wounds. Mostly internship is completely sacrificed to preparing for the next set of ENDLESS C OMPETITIVE EXAMS for entry into a PG course.

What i find most lacking here is the "spirit".
Becoming a doctor here is just a way of living like any other profession. On one hand i know that that is true ..but sometimes i wish someone wud add alittle spice..make it a bit mor interesting.

I think that another thing lacking is communication among the numerous colleges here. A few freindly student forums for med schools in India wud do no harm !!!

Happy new year

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ggmed_india, I was just wondering when you said that in India students enter med. school soon after high school..approximately what age is the student at that time? And, can you enter med. school with just O' levels or are A' levels required ( I'm assuming India has the British education system).

hi Slik

We don't have the A and O levels here. Schooling is for 12yrs . In the 11th grade you get to chose into whichever stream you are interested in ..Science (med/non med), commerce , arts.
Those who go in for science ..med..usually tehn prepare for Premedical tests ..which are many..and if u get a seat thru anyone of these tests ..you're in. These are for the Govt institutions. There are also purely paid seats into Private institutes but their credibility may be questionable.
The average agegp in which students join into medschool is 17- 19 yrs. Ofcourse there are always a few cases who have attempted 3 or 4 times to get in..which makes them a bit older.
I've even heard of people who have done B. pharm or even M. sc...and then joined medschool.

hey ggmed_india,

thanks for the info... the competition must be brutal to get a seat in the government institutions then...

anyway, happy holidays to everyone!