CheerfulEnergy

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
The Hoosier State
Status
Hey, I am absolutely applying to IU, it's my first choice! Representing the Hoosier state :) Regular though, not EDP

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all. I'm also applying to IU. :) Good luck with EDP!

fleetgoddess

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey I interviewed and got into IU this year but am not attending but if u have any questions I'll be glad to help. glad to see some Indiana love on here though.
there secondary isn't much work if i remember correctly.My interview wasn't too bad either. so good luck

OP
M

Matth52

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
West Lafayette/Naptown, IN
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Pre-Medical
fleetgoddess said:
Hey I interviewed and got into IU this year but am not attending but if u have any questions I'll be glad to help. glad to see some Indiana love on here though.
there secondary isn't much work if i remember correctly.My interview wasn't too bad either. so good luck
How many questions, roughly, did they ask at the interview?

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
I'm applying to IU - my dad is an alum. But as an OOSer I have little hope. It's a great school though!! Good luck all!

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone have a clue when IU secondary might be out... I have been verified for almost a month EDP and still haven't heard anything.

OP
M

Matth52

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Pre-Medical
GoHoosiers said:
Does anyone have a clue when IU secondary might be out... I have been verified for almost a month EDP and still haven't heard anything.
I got bored at work today, so I searched for info from last year. Looks like people didn't hear anythign until august, and then it was straight to interview invites.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
Do you think the fact that my AMCAS application indicated that my dad went to med school there is enough to indicate ties or should I write a note too? I don't want to harass them but I really really like IU and I want a fair shot. Yeah I'm neurotic I know.

OP
M

Matth52

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Anastasis said:
Do you think the fact that my AMCAS application indicated that my dad went to med school there is enough to indicate ties or should I write a note too? I don't want to harass them but I really really like IU and I want a fair shot. Yeah I'm neurotic I know.
I think they are really after true residents, since it is a public school. No offense but, unless you pay taxes here (and I do, punks take a good chunk of my paycheck) you really shouldn't be considered the same as resident.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
Matth52 said:
I think they are really after true residents, since it is a public school. No offense but, unless you pay taxes here (and I do, punks take a good chunk of my paycheck) you really shouldn't be considered the same as resident.
I have family that lives in Indy - in fact the majority of my immediate family lives in Indy. I don't want to be considered a resident but I do want to be considered above other OOSers.

But thanks for the daily cup of haterade.

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I got a postcard from IU today saying they had received my AMCAS and would contact me in the next few weeks after reviewing my app.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Anastasis said:
I am doing my undergrad in Indiana, and my pre-med advisor told me that IU tends to accept a lot of premeds from my university, regardless if they are indiana residents or not. I also asked him if I should communicate my interest before secondaries come out because a girl from my school got rejected last year pre-secondary (everyone who gets a secondary gets an interview, i think) with great stats (4.0/34), he told me that I shouldn't worry about it and that they would be interested because of my undergrad university...we'll see. I also got a post card today letting me know that they've gotten my AMCAS and will look over my stats before deciding anything.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anastasis said:
I have family that lives in Indy - in fact the majority of my immediate family lives in Indy. I don't want to be considered a resident but I do want to be considered above other OOSers.

But thanks for the daily cup of haterade.
Dude, totally do it. You have awesome stats, family ties--I would totally write them a note with your secondary if you can. Why not? :thumbup:

rachmoninov3

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I'm with anastasis (parents are alumni), and grandma in southbend (GO FIGHTING IRISH!) Other than that I have little ties to the school.

OK, two questions:

Has anyone received anything from IU regarding secondaries, or sorry you OOSer, you just sent $30 down the drain? I haven't heard anything yet.

I'll be in southbend next week seeing my grandma, should I drive to IU indy and inquire further?

opusthecat

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I went to undergrad at Goshen College in Indiana and found this on the Goshen website:

"Non residents who go to college in Indiana get an automatic interview [at IU] if their GPA is over 3.6 and MCAT scores total at least 28, with no score below 7 and a writing score of at least N."

Not sure how up to date this info is, or if other ties to Indiana may also give an advantage.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Matth52 said:
Is anyone else getting a little antsy waiting for IU to send something other than a postcard?
Kind of...but all I've heard about are people getting rejected from iu...so i'll wait for an interview if waiting is what it takes...i'd rather not get the rejection letter...

redair

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
leahmaria said:
Kind of...but all I've heard about are people getting rejected from iu...so i'll wait for an interview if waiting is what it takes...i'd rather not get the rejection letter...

Good Luck to all of you. I am out of state and already recieved the rejection letter TWICE!!! Yes, they sent me the letter two times about a week apart!!
I did recieve the post card first, but then the letter came, and then the second letter came. I was verified on 6/7.

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think we should begin hearing about interviews and receiving secondaries this week. I looked at previous years posts and it seems like about the beginning of august people start to get interview invites.

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I got the IU secondary in the mail today. I am instate and applied EDP. Verified on 6/26.

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Pretty much, all you send are LOR's, deans letter, legal disclosure form, and money.

Requip

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
GoHoosiers said:
Pretty much, all you send are LOR's, deans letter, legal disclosure form, and money.
2 yrs ago they just invited people for interviews and requested the LOR's $$ after they invited people, is this no longer the case?

Punkn

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Requip said:
2 yrs ago they just invited people for interviews and requested the LOR's $$ after they invited people, is this no longer the case?
I just got my secondary packet as well (not EDP). It says that you should expect to get your interview date via e-mail ~4-6 weeks after you receive the packet. The packet requests LORs, $50, has some forms to fill out, but no essays.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
GoHoosiers said:

"Dean's Letter" Not to be too ignorant, but what is that?

I am an in-stater, but I'm verified with AMCAS yet.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
shellyr33 said:
"Dean's Letter" Not to be too ignorant, but what is that?

I am an in-stater, but I'm verified with AMCAS yet.
it gets filled out by the dean of students--or whoever has disiplinary records at your school

it's not that big of a deal, but they'll let the school know if you've ever been written up for anything

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
No, it seemed just like a generic secondary packet. Nothing indicating that I was EDP.

GoHoosiers

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I got an interview invite today via email. Scheduled for September 6.

Punkn

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
GoHoosiers said:
I got an interview invite today via email. Scheduled for September 6.
Me too. :)

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I'm on the 6th too...it'll be like an sdn party...except i hear their interview days are huge, so there'll be a lot of other people too :)

Punkn

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I'm on the 6th too...it'll be like an sdn party...except i hear their interview days are huge, so there'll be a lot of other people too :)
Yeah, I've heard that, too. I wonder if the first interview day will be a bit smaller, though, since it requires that people have their stuff in early.

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Don't let your OOS status deter you if you're really interested in the school. I'm from Michigan and I'm interviewing on 9/13...Use any ties that you have to your advantage!
:luck:

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
When is everyone's time (so we get an idea how tight they are packing it)? I'm at 10:15.
for the interview? i'm at 2:45, but my check in for the day is 10:30...you'll be interviewing when i'm checking in...

Punkn

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
for the interview? i'm at 2:45, but my check in for the day is 10:30...you'll be interviewing when i'm checking in...
My check-in time is 9:15 and my interview is at 11.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
Don't let your OOS status deter you if you're really interested in the school. I'm from Michigan and I'm interviewing on 9/13...Use any ties that you have to your advantage!
:luck:
Whoo hoo - 9/13 will be an OOS party day: I'm interviewing then as well. Good luck :luck:

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
And btw, as I reread this post, how many of the 21 year olds applying in-state do you think have paid taxes in Indiana? Hmmm? Not many.

And if your response is: Well their parents did. Then I'll just point out that so did my dad.

But I guess it didn't matter, because I got an interview.

35m

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
I got an interview invitation by email today, but I still have not received a secondary.

What does the secondary ask?

I think that I will go ahead and send my recommendations on monday.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I got an interview invitation by email today, but I still have not received a secondary.

What does the secondary ask?

I think that I will go ahead and send my recommendations on monday.
no secondary questions, just a lot of forms and such...be careful about the recommendations...they may want you to do their forms if your school doesn't have a pre-med committee?? Not sure of the details on this..

Congrats on the interview!

Punkn

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
My school does not have a committee, but we do have a pre-med advisor who sends all of our academic letters together. She had already put together these "letter packets" without IU's forms and IU said it was no problem. Don't know if that helps you 35m...but :luck: