INDIANA Supplementary App, Why Indiana?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I received an interview at Indiana and am looking forward to it. Currently I am completing my secondary, although I'm stuck on one part....Why Indiana? I'm going through the websites and SDN forums but I'm not finding anything really significant that can make Indiana stand out. I realize there were major renovations, with an upgrade in technology. There is also the PBL system, but aside from that, I'm really not having any luck finding anything that can distinguish Indiana. Any information regarding how Indian is different and any interview information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

How aobut this...

I am a rabid Colts fan!

I am from Indiana calss of 2001, the first class that they experimented with PBL. They appreciate a team player, good communication skills, naturally work/field experience in a team player atmosphere other than dentistry, that would diversify your future career. I had an engineering degree and 3 years of work experience, for instance. Not sure if they are still holding onto PBL values of 10 years ago, they did.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at IUSD currently...they definitely love PBL (currently called CTS) and the new simulation lab is really nice...as already mentioned they love team players that are willing to contribute for the good of the group...as for advice on the interview be upfront and honest with them and you will do great!

Hello,

I received an interview at Indiana and am looking forward to it. Currently I am completing my secondary, although I'm stuck on one part....Why Indiana? I'm going through the websites and SDN forums but I'm not finding anything really significant that can make Indiana stand out. I realize there were major renovations, with an upgrade in technology. There is also the PBL system, but aside from that, I'm really not having any luck finding anything that can distinguish Indiana. Any information regarding how Indian is different and any interview information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1) If you are instate and you will stop at nothing to become a dentist, then the decreased cost of tuition is to hard to say no to.

2) But really, you have to re-evaluate the importance of these renovations. We have a 105-110 student sim lab. That means for all of your preclinical caries prep and much of your other preclinical classed (fixed prosth for example), you will be doing them on the sim units. This is going to make you very very very prepared to work on your first patient from the hand skills, point-of-approach, so to speak, side of things. Working on a pole attached to a bench lab is much easier but it is the hard things that make us preparred.

3) PBL is being phased out. You will have some PBL stuff your first year and most likely that will be it. Just think of PBL stuff as free points on the exam, and a whole bunch of free time when they expect you to be researching since it never ever ever should take more than 1-2 hours. PBL is not the big bad ghost that people make it out to be since it is a very small part of the curriculum. Think of it more similarly to Casper, the friendly ghost...

4) Variety of patients/patient pool. You will have no problems graduating unless you have poor patient management skills because we have such a diverse and large patient population. It is in the center of a pretty large urban city and we have patients from the impoverished in the surrounding city to the wealthy up on the northeast side. It is actually pretty impressive

5) "the power of an IU degree" from those stupid IU commercials!