Indiana tail insurance

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by c diddy, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. c diddy

    c diddy Member
    7+ Year Member

    Apr 12, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Hi all!

    Just curious if anyone knows whether or not the state of Indiana requires malpractice tail coverage if a practitioner leaves the state. I am a resident in Illinois considering moonlighting in Indiana, and maybe leaving for one of the coasts post residency. I heard IN doesn't require a tail, just would like to confirm. Thanks
  2. spalatin

    spalatin Member
    5+ Year Member

    Mar 15, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    Indiana does not require insurance. That being said, you are not covered under the patient compensation fund if you have a claims made only policy and a claim occurs during the "tail." The Med-Mal Act provides that if you pay a surcharge you are capped and covered by the PCF beyond $250k/occurence.

    Personally, I'd stick with occurence based insurance. Especially if you do anything OB! Anything less and you are sticking your oscar mayer out in the wind. Do you really want to do this? Check with your locums/moonlighting group to get the details, or better call IDOI or check with an insurance carrier.

    My understanding and I have the lawyers check my med-mal coverages I have a 250/750 occurence policy and pay the surcharge. More expensive than a claims made, I think, but if anything happens, it is then the insurance company's worry and the PCF worry.

    Mandatory Disclaimer: Remember, free advice on this forum is worth 'zakly what you paid for it. Now go spend money on real advice.

Share This Page