Indiana U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PelvicSplancnic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone accepted or has interviewed at Indiana. I have an interview coming up soon, however, I am kind of worried that the class is almost filled up. I know IU has one of the biggest entering classes, so does anyone know how many spots are left? Also, how were the interviews?

Pelvic Splancnics are always parasympathetic (if you didn't know already)
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i had my interview in mid-february too, and i got accepted no problem. i even got my choice of campuses. don't panic.
wailisters still get acceptance in mid-may through june.

there's plenty of space left.

Will your acceptance letter tell you which campus ? We were told during the interview process that we will get to send in rankings for where we want to go and get placed depending on preference/availability of space. Do we get this form in the mail after our acceptance or we have to write a formal letter for that? I am just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
been here this whole year. this school sucks compared to most other schools. old style teaching, old style grading and a bunch people who think they are the shi walking around. wish i never came here.

one thing thats nice is the low tution, for that ill take it...

people are goin to hate buy hey its my opinion.

hinduluv said:
been here this whole year. this school sucks compared to most other schools. old style teaching, old style grading and a bunch people who think they are the shi walking around. wish i never came here.

one thing thats nice is the low tution, for that ill take it...

people are goin to hate buy hey its my opinion.
Could you expand on this? I am planning on applying to Indiana U. (our only in state medschool)

What do you mean by old style?

dnomla said:
Could you expand on this? I am planning on applying to Indiana U. (our only in state medschool)

What do you mefdgan by old style?
dfgdfg

PelvicSplancnic said:
I have a question for anyone accepted or has interviewed at Indiana. I have an interview coming up soon, however, I am kind of worried that the class is almost filled up. I know IU has one of the biggest entering classes, so does anyone know how many spots are left? Also, how were the interviews?

Pelvic Splancnics are always parasympathetic (if you didn't know already)
:cool:

When's your interview? Mine's on March 9! (I applied really really late... like a week before the Dec. 15 deadline). Are you in-state?

hinduluv said:
aight. people may think i am just talking out of my ass here but im not. here is the deal at most other schools. each class you will get really nice concise class notes and if you study these notes and memorize them then you will do well on the tests. I mean medical school is more about memorizing the first year anyway. at IU its a little different, the notes are horrible and each professor will try and give you trick questions on the tests (old style). Only class that i liked last semester was biochem with dr. harris. for example on our last histology test there were 5 questions with made absolutely no sense and the answers werent even in the books. You basically have to guess. in terms of the type of people here I definetly feel like everyone thinks they are so amazing, but honestly this might be the case at most medical schools. I really wished there was humility in medicine. I can tell you that i interviwed at meharry, tulane and vcu last year where it was definetly a different atmosphere.

Please realize that while these comments may be accurate for the Indianapolis center, they most certainly aren't accurate for all of the IU centers. I went to one of the regional centers for my first two years (I am now a fourth year), and my class was composed of 16 people. We all got along very well and became close friends. The teaching at our center was excellent. Due to the small class size, all of the professors knew each student by name after the first few days. When it came time to take the USMLE Step 1, my center had an average score that was second only to the Gary center among all of the IU centers.

All of the students come together in Indianapolis for the third and fourth years. Our clinical training is very strong, and we rotate through six hospitals (including St. Vincent's). IU has a very good reputation for turning out excellent doctors, as I recently found out on the residency interview trail. Now that I'm almost ready to graduate, I feel that I am more than prepared for my internship.

IU definitely has it's downsides, however. Most students (including myself) hate the "competency" curriculum that IU instituted a few years ago. The administration has somewhat of a reputation of being less than student-friendly. Although Indianapolis is a great city to live in, the weather is not very nice for 6 months out of the year.

Overall, though, I feel like my education at IU has been above average. I will likely be matching into a top 10 residency program in Internal Medicine next month, and I have made many lifelong friends the past four years. I would definitely go to IU again if I had a choice.

Has anyone been recently accepted? rejected?

IU IS SO SLOW! :scared: :confused:

Shouldn't the next batch of acceptances be received sometime this week?

TexasSnow said:
Shouldn't the next batch of acceptances be received sometime this week?

i hope so. i know of some rejections that were notified last week.

hinduluv said:
aight. people may think i am just talking out of my ass here but im not. here is the deal at most other schools. each class you will get really nice concise class notes and if you study these notes and memorize them then you will do well on the tests. I mean medical school is more about memorizing the first year anyway. at IU its a little different, the notes are horrible and each professor will try and give you trick questions on the tests (old style). Only class that i liked last semester was biochem with dr. harris. for example on our last histology test there were 5 questions with made absolutely no sense and the answers werent even in the books. You basically have to guess. in terms of the type of people here I definetly feel like everyone thinks they are so amazing, but honestly this might be the case at most medical schools. I really wished there was humility in medicine. I can tell you that i interviwed at meharry, tulane and vcu last year where it was definetly a different atmosphere.

I disagree with this assessment. I attended IU medical school and am now in residency. I did all four years at the Indianapolis campus. Unfortunately the size of the student body at the Indy campus has some effect on teaching format. However, they have done an excellent job coordinating small groups/labs for more personalized teaching. Most lecturers provide notes for their lectures which I do not feel stray from the actual lecture material. Also, there is a note taking system at the Indy campus where you can purchase transcribed notes from lecture (available the next day, generally) so you have the typed version of what was said in class. As for "trick questions"....I don't know what is implied there. I felt that everything was straight-forward. If it was covered in lecture or class, it is fair game for the test. Histology is an excellent course at IU and I felt the tests were fair and straight-forward.

news anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at IU on 2-16, can't wait to hear back from them. I'm instate, and feel like I have a pretty strong application. My question is, I just got accepted at Kirksville Osteopathic, and Z have a $1000 deposit due on 3-3-05 I know IV's ad com meets some time next week, do you think I'd have any chance of saving my deposit at KCOM if I call IU next week? Maybe I'm just being too hopeful.

Fingers crossed for IU!
-Jesse

interview march 9 just wondering what the status of the class was
thanks!

I interviewed way back in November, and haven't heard anything at all. I called yesterday to ask when I would expect to hear something, and I was told that I was still being considered.

I was told that the last batch of letters go out on March 15th, and that everyone would hear something by June 1st.

Monkey12 said:
interview march 9 just wondering what the status of the class was
thanks!

The pre-med club at my school took a trip to IU recently, and I asked the director of admissions that exact question (I interview March 9 also). She said that they leave spaces open for the regular class (i.e. acceptance, not wait-list) through April, so there are definitely still spots available. I thought that maybe after a certain date, they just waitlist everyone if the class is already full, but the class is not full. I'm in-state though, so I don't know if she was talking about just in-state spots or all spots.

Big Lebowski said:
I disagree with this assessment. I attended IU medical school and am now in residency. I did all four years at the Indianapolis campus. Unfortunately the size of the student body at the Indy campus has some effect on teaching format. However, they have done an excellent job coordinating small groups/labs for more personalized teaching. Most lecturers provide notes for their lectures which I do not feel stray from the actual lecture material. Also, there is a note taking system at the Indy campus where you can purchase transcribed notes from lecture (available the next day, generally) so you have the typed version of what was said in class. As for "trick questions"....I don't know what is implied there. I felt that everything was straight-forward. If it was covered in lecture or class, it is fair game for the test. Histology is an excellent course at IU and I felt the tests were fair and straight-forward.

exactly you arent here now are you?

maybe the school has changed....

Anyone hear anything this month from IU? I haven't received anything yet post-March 15th, so I'm wondering if I've been deferred until next month.

If you've heard, what day did you receive your letter?

Thanks!

out of state applicant here...

interviewed: feb 9
snail mail acceptance: march 17

good luck to you all! :thumbup:

interviewed on 2/16
acceptance letter: March 18

congrats everyone!!!!