Indiana University Anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on the gas residency program at IU-Indianapolis?

1. Is it a good program?
2. Is it non-malignant?
3. How are the hours/call?
4. Is it very D.O. friendly?

Thanks all!

Sixteenstones

Members don't see this ad.

Can I revive this thread...interested in indy....can anybody please share their experience at IU?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I am a 4th year student currently interviewing for anesthesia. I think I haven't updated my profile in quite some time though, sorry about that.

No I am a 4th year student currently interviewing for anesthesia. I think I haven't updated my profile in quite some time though, sorry about that.

Then I apologize for being rude.

I lurk here as I have a strong interest in gas; and occasionally am shocked by pre-meds posting.

I'd really like to know about IU though. Seems they have a ton of people from IU medical school. Been to Indy and I think it's a decent place to live and raise a family. Can any residents or grads help?

haha no hard feelings....I see juniors in college posting on here all the time about gas and understand where you are coming from. Love anesthesia too and think its the greatest thing in the world. So happy I found something I feel passionate about and I look to lurk and share info on this site when I actually have something to contribute in the future. But in the meantime I hold nothing against those who protect these forums and am grateful for any wisdom given

Interviewed there a couple of years ago. Loved Indy, they have a beautiful state of the art hospital system. No CRNAs, so large amount of residents needed. Interview was low key, on a Sunday night at a German restaurant over several beers. Tour and info the next day. Butterworth, the chair, was a cool dude. Loved racing. Nakata, the PD, made no bones about being a discipinarian and demanding excellence. Hindsight being what it is, he is no different than most PDs, my own included, except he is upfront with you on interview day. I am a DO and I don't think there was any issues in that regard. Nakata called a week prior to interview and gave me some great sight seeing tips, and followed up a week later with me. It only had 4 categorical spots, which I ranked high. Ranked the advance spots lower. Ended up at my #1 which was the closest program to home and I am very happy here. I would advise you to seriously consider IU, I consider it an excellent program from my limited experience. I really think it is the type of program where calling them up and expressing your sincere interest in the program will go a long ways!

Went to IU for medical school. Personally know the chief resident of IU very well. IU is a very balanced program. Disclaimer I am not a resident at IU. Strong in peds, OB, trauma, mid to low range in cardiac and pain and regional. The labor starts and ends with the residents no CRNA's in the system(take it or leave it). Indiana is a very Pro-MD anesthesia state. It is a good University based program. Nakata is very active in recruiting residents he likes. He makes no bones about who he wants. Lots of folks that went to IU for medical school, IU for undergrad, and want to practice in Indy. I am of the thought process that you should do your residency, fellowship and medical school at different locations to develop your own practice.