Indiana University Class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtahDad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Classes start 6 months from yesterday...who all is going to be there??

Members don't see this ad.

Ummmmm......do you think they will raise my tuition if I am the only one in my class??

Hey there utah dad. I also got accepted to Indiana's dental school.

I still don't know if I will attend that school though, as their non-resident tuition policy scares me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to be on here in a about 2 weeks or so. I'm banking on Indiana since being on their wait list. When did you interview utah dad?

Hey ASU-Devil,

Best of luck to you!! I imagine that being waitlisted at this point is a VERY good thing!! Keep us posted!!

TheNobleTooth,

It would be great to have you in class (even though I don't know anything about you...but you are probably pretty nice). The non-resident tuition is scary ANYWHERE you go as an out of state student. The cost of living is VERY reasonable in Indiana though...that should help!! I'll be anxious to learn what you decide!!

Hello there guys. I am probably going to be a classmate of yours too Utah daddy!

I liked the faculties and the students at IU's dental school.

Although they have high tuition for non-residents, there are loopholes you can bypass.

Now that it is past the January 15th deadline, is anyone else planning on attending IU?

You You You You You You See See See See See See See Ell Ell Ell Ell Ell Ell Ell Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Class Of 2011 Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to you TheBestDoctor!!

Hello there guys. I am probably going to be a classmate of yours too Utah daddy!

I liked the faculties and the students at IU's dental school.

Although they have high tuition for non-residents, there are loopholes you can bypass.

What are these loopholes you speak of? Just curious!

I got the email on the 18th and the official one is on the way! See you guys July 5th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats ASU-Devil!! See you on the 5th!! By-the-way, do I know you?? What day did you interview??

Hey, I"m curious about these loopholes too. Anything that could save, oh....$300,000 or so?? (maybe even $1000?)

Congratulations to everyone attending IUSD next year! I'll gladly let one of you have my seats in the lecture halls & pre-clinic lab. ;)

Regarding in-state tuition, Indiana is pretty draconian when it comes to establishing residency when you're enrolled in school. The state doesn't like to subsidize education costs for students who haven't paid anything into the tax system beforehand and are likely to leave the state immediately afterward without giving anything back. I wish you luck finding loopholes, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Congrats ASU-Devil!! See you on the 5th!! By-the-way, do I know you?? What day did you interview??
I can't remember my interview date off the top of my head. I brought my wife and I was at the 2-day interview. I'm stoked about the acceptance, now we just have to worry about getting ready in a few months. I have been working at paying off all consumer debt before we start. My wife and I are debating whether or not to buy a home while we are there. We have 2 kids so housing is important.

Hey There ASU-Devil,

I may have been there the day you interviewed. I think it was the last week of October. Anyway, congratulations!! About housing, my wife and I have 3 little boys, so we have done quite a bit of research. PM me if you have any questions that I may be able to help with. Congratulations again!!

Congratulations to everyone attending IUSD next year! I'll gladly let one of you have my seats in the lecture halls & pre-clinic lab. ;)

Thanks for your offer on your seat in the lecture halls/pre-clinic lab. If you wouldn't mind, would you also please leave in that chair all of your books, study notes, IU approved laptop, and hmmmmm, maybe a box of donuts? That would be great!!

hahhaha...sweet....Jackito will be there.........IU there we come........
Believe me, you'll have fun when you get to know Jackito

I had my interview in Sept. and my acceptance letter is dated Dec. 1

Any suggestions for housing?......I am looking for a place there already.....As a matter of fact...I'll be there on Feb. 17 for some huntings.....hahahah i mean house hunting....

Thanks for your offer on your seat in the lecture halls/pre-clinic lab. If you wouldn't mind, would you also please leave in that chair all of your books, study notes, IU approved laptop, and hmmmmm, maybe a box of donuts? That would be great!!

I actually never bought a lot of the textbooks. Shhh, don't tell the faculty. ;)

Every class pays notetakers to transcribe lectures and a webmaster to design & maintain a class website. Each class always leaves its notes up, so you can study the past three years' lectures for any given class or topic in addition to your own.

My laptop is so beaten up I'm just praying it survives till I graduate. You don't want anything to do with it. :)

As for donuts, you're on your own, but I definitely recommend Long's Bakery.

Good luck!

I'm going.... best school in the US of A

Hey, another first year student, here in july, and I are looking for a third roommate. Let me know if anyone is interested; it'll be cheaper that way. Plus you got a study group right there :thumbup:

Hey bro,

I am interested. Let me know what the deal is. PM me or something.

-----------------------------------------------------
IUSD Class of 2011

Hey!! I'd be interested, but you will have to be comfortable sharing a room with my little boys. But not to worry, they go to bed early and have lots of cool toys!! They are 5 and would be great roommates!!

What are these loopholes you speak of? Just curious!

Excuse me for miswording "loopholes". I was referring to scholarships such as ROTC, or that Americorp health..whatever. scholarship. That should highly reduce that high-cost of IU non-resident tuition.

Anyhow, just stopping by SDN to say hello to my classmates!!

==============

Aphistis, can you PM a listing of good apartments near IU? I am looking for a one-bedroom apt that has a monthly rent of $400-$700. It also has to be near campus and in a good area of town (I know this is an oxymoron as IU's dental school is near the ghettos).

Aphistis, can you PM a listing of good apartments near IU? I am looking for a one-bedroom apt that has a monthly rent of $400-$700. It also has to be near campus and in a good area of town (I know this is an oxymoron as IU's dental school is near the ghettos).

1) Some popular places to live include Lockefield Gardens, Canal Square, Riley Towers...really, anyplace downtown will be within 10 minutes of the school. I like www.apartmentguide.com for apartment-hunting, but any website with maps will do the job.

2) You won't find a one-bedroom near school in the price you're listing.

3) I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, though. IUPUI is one of the nicest urban campuses in the entire country, and is in a great part of town.

Bottom line, I don't think I can help you. ;) Sorry.

1) Some popular places to live include Lockefield Gardens, Canal Square, Riley Towers...really, anyplace downtown will be within 10 minutes of the school. I like www.apartmentguide.com for apartment-hunting, but any website with maps will do the job.

2) You won't find a one-bedroom near school in the price you're listing.

Well, then how much on average is the rent for those apartment you've listed? I wasn't expecting the apartment rent to be that pricey, esp in a small city like Indianapolis! My research mentor who grew up in Indianapolis (actually the suburbs) told me cost of living in Indianapolis is much cheaper than NYC or San Fran.

3) I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, though. IUPUI is one of the nicest urban campuses in the entire country, and is in a great part of town.

To me it looked decent when I visited IUPUI. However, a lot of dentists in my area tell me that IU's dental school is located near the bad part of town.

Bottom line, I don't think I can help you. ;) Sorry.

Was that sarcasm? :idea:

Well, then how much on average is the rent for those apartment you've listed? I wasn't expecting the apartment rent to be that pricey, esp in a small city like Indianapolis! My research mentor who grew up in Indianapolis (actually the suburbs) told me cost of living in Indianapolis is much cheaper than NYC or San Fran.
I'm not sure about averages, but in my (limited) experience, the high end of your price range is about where apartments like you describe start out. As for your mentor, the cost of living *is* much cheaper than NYC or SF, but just like any city, the suburbs are much less expensive than the middle of downtown. My wife and I built a 2-story, 4-bedroom house last year just outside the city, and our (30-year fixed) mortgage payment is less than a decent 2-bedroom apartment downtown.

To me it looked decent when I visited IUPUI. However, a lot of dentists in my area tell me that IU's dental school is located near the bad part of town.
I don't mean to sound sarcastic in saying this, but "your area" appears to be a good 5000 miles away. :) I'd pay more attention to what you saw yourself than what they told you.

Was that sarcasm? :idea:

Nope, no sarcasm. I just don't know of any nice apartments in the middle of downtown that go for pennies a month. I hope you find a place that matches what you're looking for.

aphistis...where did you and your wife build your home? My wife and I are looking for a home right now and have been looking in Greenwood. We are actually coming out next week to house hunt. If you have any suggestions we would love to hear them. thanks

aphistis...where did you and your wife build your home? My wife and I are looking for a home right now and have been looking in Greenwood. We are actually coming out next week to house hunt. If you have any suggestions we would love to hear them. thanks
That's the area where we live. The south side of town is in the middle of a big residential growth spurt, plus construction costs are reasonable. It's a good time to consider building.

It all depends on how far you're willing to drive to school each day. My commute is 30-40 minutes, which is fine with me if it means I get to have a nice house in a friendly neighborhood without paying an arm and a leg. Your mileage, of course, may vary. :)

I'm going.... best school in the US of A

Hey, another first year student, here in july, and I are looking for a third roommate. Let me know if anyone is interested; it'll be cheaper that way. Plus you got a study group right there :thumbup:
I just PMed you back. Thanks for contacting me.

--------------Jackito----------------------
IUSD Class of 2011

Hey all, I'll be in your class as well... see you all in 4 months!!!
In the meanwhile you can find me on AIM if you are lucky! Screen name is comet208

Bump.........