Indiana University Med-Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABCfib

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering what you guys think/ have heard about the Indiana University Med-Peds program. I interviewed there some time ago and I really liked the feel of the program. I also felt that the residents seemed happy and pretty confident in their clinical skills. In addition, the Med-Peds program is large (14/year) and well recognized in the hospital (residents appear proud to be in the Med-Peds track).

There's one thing that bothers me a bit: I am planning to do a fellowship after residency, and looking at their Alumni I saw most people going into private practice/ hospitalist jobs, and the few pursuing a fellowship almost all stayed at Indiana University or close by (Ohio, Illinois etc.). I assume that most people did this because they liked it there or wanted to be with their families - I, for my part, would be interested in looking at fellowships in the New York, Philly or the Boston area. The question now is: does the Indiana Med-Peds program carries enough reputation to get you into those programs or does it close doors?

Besides that, what is the general view on quality of teaching, quality of the residents and level of autonomy?

Would be happy if you guys could share some opinions! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

IU is one of the most respected medpeds programs in the country. I'm sure that you shouldn't have a problem finding a fellowship where you desire to go. Probably the best advice I could give is to contact Dr Djuricich and ask him about fellowship opportunities and where people have matched on the "coasts."

As a side note, midwestern personalities tend to be a bit different from New Englanders. This may play a role in why people at IU aren't venturing East. This is just a personal observation.

Hi!

I was wondering what you guys think/ have heard about the Indiana University Med-Peds program. I interviewed there some time ago and I really liked the feel of the program. I also felt that the residents seemed happy and pretty confident in their clinical skills. In addition, the Med-Peds program is large (14/year) and well recognized in the hospital (residents appear proud to be in the Med-Peds track).

There's one thing that bothers me a bit: I am planning to do a fellowship after residency, and looking at their Alumni I saw most people going into private practice/ hospitalist jobs, and the few pursuing a fellowship almost all stayed at Indiana University or close by (Ohio, Illinois etc.). I assume that most people did this because they liked it there or wanted to be with their families - I, for my part, would be interested in looking at fellowships in the New York, Philly or the Boston area. The question now is: does the Indiana Med-Peds program carries enough reputation to get you into those programs or does it close doors?

Besides that, what is the general view on quality of teaching, quality of the residents and level of autonomy?

Would be happy if you guys could share some opinions! Thanks!

I am a current EM/Peds resident at IU so I interact with med/peds residents on both the adult and peds side and I know many of the current med/peds graduating residents do plan on fellowship and academic careers. Also look at the individual medicine and pediatrics graduates, you'll see that a fair percentage have secured fellowships outside the midwest (of my three closer friends, two are headed to Boston for fellowships and to Carolinas).

Overall, I cannot say enough about the overall quality of the residents and teaching faculty. You'll get all the autonomy you want and more on the medicine side, and I think the pediatrics side offers a great amount of autonomy and leadership opportunities compared with other peds programs.

The overall predilection for the midwest is probably a personal choice, the reasons that led them to choose residency here compel them to stay after training. Lots of residents come to Indy not planning on staying but then really love it here and end up never leaving. Those that chose the midwest because they have family here are also more likely to stay, but I do think you'd have plenty of east coast job opportunities if that's what you want.