Indiana University School of Optometry Admission Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinnesotaGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any information about IUSO Admission day. What are the discussion panels like with both the faculty and the current students? Do I need to be prepared for an interview?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to admission day in November so it may be done a little differently now. All the applicants and guests sat in a classroom and had time to ask faculty and students questions about the program, expectations, the campus, etc. The discussions just kind of clarified what the program is about and how it differs from other programs/ our undergrad experiences. There is a tour with a current student and you can ask questions then. After the tour you eat lunch with your tour group and a faculty member whom you can ask questions. There was no actual interview. All questions were asked by prospective students. I only asked two questions maybe during the tour and at lunch and I was accepted.

I went to admission day in November so it may be done a little differently now. All the applicants and guests sat in a classroom and had time to ask faculty and students questions about the program, expectations, the campus, etc. The discussions just kind of clarified what the program is about and how it differs from other programs/ our undergrad experiences. There is a tour with a current student and you can ask questions then. After the tour you eat lunch with your tour group and a faculty member whom you can ask questions. There was no actual interview. All questions were asked by prospective students. I only asked two questions maybe during the tour and at lunch and I was accepted.
Thank you for your help! Are you planning on attending IUSO in the Fall or another Optometry school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help! Are you planning on attending IUSO in the Fall or another Optometry school?
Yeah, I'll be attending IU. Good luck on your interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
About how many prospective students attend each admission day? I was invited for Admission Day in late March. It seems very relaxed, looking forward to hearing some more information regarding their program.

About how many prospective students attend each admission day? I was invited for Admission Day in late March. It seems very relaxed, looking forward to hearing some more information regarding their program.
When are you going in March because I am going in the end of March too?

I want to say there were about 35-40 students at mine. This was early November, though, so there may be less in March.

I want to say there were about 35-40 students at mine. This was early November, though, so there may be less in March.
That's quite a good amount of people. Hopefully there will still be spaces available in the class by then!

Since it is an admission day, does that mean we are already accepted?

Since it is an admission day, does that mean we are already accepted?

I asked them about that after I learned they do not have an interview process. They told me that we should be receiving a final decision after a few days following Admission day. They look over our applications again and will use admission day to guide their final decision.

Hopefully we will get in though!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just went to my admissions day yesterday. It was very relaxed and they told us that they send out acceptances in two weeks or less from the day of your admissions day. There was about 20-25 candidates there yesterday. They told us that there was 49 spots out of the 75-80 spots available, so here's to hoping we all get in!! They are also considering doing a waitlist admissions day so everything looks hopeful!

Wow that's quite a good amount of spots! What did you think of the school or program based on what you saw?

I think its a great school. It's actually my top choice. They have lots of opportunities and the faculty are super nice. They really take time to focus on your questions and show you what their program has to offer. They also started the externship rotation that the other schools follow.

I think its a great school. It's actually my top choice. They have lots of opportunities and the faculty are super nice. They really take time to focus on your questions and show you what their program has to offer. They also started the externship rotation that the other schools follow.

Cool, what other schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

Is there anything that stood out to you that really caught your attention? I know they do a lot of research there, but I don't know much about their clinic program. It seems like its strictly academic work the first and second year and they begin integrating clinic until the summer before entering the third year (at least that's what I got from the curriculum schedule they have on their website).

Cool, what other schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

Is there anything that stood out to you that really caught your attention? I know they do a lot of research there, but I don't know much about their clinic program. It seems like its strictly academic work the first and second year and they begin integrating clinic until the summer before entering the third year (at least that's what I got from the curriculum schedule they have on their website).

I applied to Ohio State, PCO, and NOVA as well.

It is mostly academic work for the first two years, but what was awesome to me was that they teach their first year students 90% of the eye exam by the end of the second year. They have a large clinic that students rotate in fields of ocular disease, pediatrics, geriatrics, low vision, vision rehabilitation and more. After the second year they introduce you to clinic in a 3 week session and an optional second 3 week session. The have 24 hour access for students after hours to the labs which is really cool. They also have lockers so that way you don't have to lug your equipment all over the building. The faculty seem to really take pride in their work and their students. It seems like one big family of optometrists helping each other succeed rather than competing for the lack of externships available.

I just went to my admissions day yesterday. It was very relaxed and they told us that they send out acceptances in two weeks or less from the day of your admissions day. There was about 20-25 candidates there yesterday. They told us that there was 49 spots out of the 75-80 spots available, so here's to hoping we all get in!! They are also considering doing a waitlist admissions day so everything looks hopeful!
Did they ask you any questions at lunch time?

Did they ask you any questions at lunch time?

Yes. They did. They asked the normal ones, what's your favorite class, why optometry, where are you from, and just fun things about yourself. I asked about why they did the admissions day instead of interviews. The lunch is really just about them getting to know you and letting you ask questions. It was actually a lot of fun getting to know the professors and administrators at the lunch.

I did bring a guest, my mom went with me. Basically they just follow you all around during the tour and they sit with you at lunch. When the discussion panels where going on all the guests sat in the back of the lecture hall and the candidates sit up front.

Thanks for th additional info. It definitely seems like the first two years is mainly academic work and they then do start training in clinic during the summer of second year just like you mentioned. It is great to know that by the time you start with clinic you have most of the exam material down. I have an interview at MCPHS next week, their curriculum ties in with clinic from the first semester which is nice but my drawback with the school is lack of accreditation till next yr.

What did you think of the environment in terms of the town?

I think it's a nice town. It reminds me of were I live now. It's pretty much a college town, lots of students everywhere. I just got accepted yesterday!

I think it's a nice town. It reminds me of were I live now. It's pretty much a college town, lots of students everywhere. I just got accepted yesterday!

Congrats on the acceptance. I may be leaning towards Indiana at the moment but I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens these next few weeks! Thanks for the info. I Got sown feedback from someone who attended IU actually and they said its a great program, very research oriented and top notch.

Last edited:
I haven't found this anywhere, does IUSO have on campus living or is it just off campus?

They have some on campus housing but a lot of that housing has lots of undergrads. Which means a not so quite place to study.

I haven't looked into housing either actually. I wonder how hard it would be to find roommates or apartments in the area.

Current IU student here. Housing is all off campus. Many students live in apartments/rent houses very close to the optometry building and there are many buses that stop at the building. I live further off campus so I drive, park my car, and then walk to school. You are correct that you won't be seeing patients until your second year but I actually enjoy that. There are so many things to learn and skills to master before seeing actual patients (and the tiny amount of free time I have in my day I want to spend on something completely unrelated to optometry :p ). Admissions day is very chill so just relax, and be yourself. Good luck!

Current IU student here. Housing is all off campus. Many students live in apartments/rent houses very close to the optometry building and there are many buses that stop at the building. I live further off campus so I drive, park my car, and then walk to school. You are correct that you won't be seeing patients until your second year but I actually enjoy that. There are so many things to learn and skills to master before seeing actual patients (and the tiny amount of free time I have in my day I want to spend on something completely unrelated to optometry :p ). Admissions day is very chill so just relax, and be yourself. Good luck!
I am trying to decide if I want to bring my car or not. Would you recommend having it?

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely looking to admissions day in a few weeks! How easy or hard is it to find people to rent an apartment or house with?

I am trying to decide if I want to bring my car or not. Would you recommend having it?

I think most people have a car. One of my friends doesn't though and just bikes everywhere. But it's up to you! Is your admissions day tomorrow?

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely looking to admissions day in a few weeks! How easy or hard is it to find people to rent an apartment or house with?
Fairly easy! Once accepted you're adding to a housing newsletter that goes out each month that has people looking for roommates and placing available for rent. Is your admissions day tomorrow?

Fairly easy! Once accepted you're adding to a housing newsletter that goes out each month that has people looking for roommates and placing available for rent. Is your admissions day tomorrow?
Yes it is tomorrow.