Indiana University SOM vs. University of Virginia SOM - How to weigh personal vs. academic/professional factors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wandering_wondering

Reaction score
First post ever here, and I need your help! Should I choose Indiana University SOM (Indianapolis campus) or the University of Virginia SOM (Charlottesville)?

Important info: I am a semi-nontraditional student (25 y/o w/ an MS in public health and nonprofit work experience). I am very passionate about public health and am interested in preventative medicine and obstetrics/gynecology. I have scholarship offers at both, so there is not a significant difference in price. I think that UVASOM is definitely a bit of a better school on paper. That being said, I do not think I would receive an inferior education at IUSM or have lesser residency opportunities.

My largest point of conflict is that I like UVASOM better as a school based on the interview day, but I have compelling reasons to stay in my home state of Indiana (i.e. my partner, parents, extended family, and siblings live here = greater social support). My partner is supportive of whatever decision I make, but we would have to do long distance while I am in school. We did this for a year previously while I was living out of the country, but it would definitely place stress on our relationship to reenter another long distance situation.

Does anyone have any advice? Have you been in a similar situation? How do I decide between what would possibly be a more comfortable decision (IU) and a school I like better (UVA)?

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for UVA - better reputation, smaller class, more research opportunities, etc. Plus, IU left a really bad taste in my mouth with their disorganized and disrespectful interview cycle. Just my 2 cents.

I vote IU. OB/GYN isn't uber competitive and you cannot measure the importance of your support network, never mind your significant other. IU is a solid school. Would you have to do long distance regardless of school you went to, or just UVA?

Reactions: 1 user
I vote IU. OB/GYN isn't uber competitive and you cannot measure the importance of your support network, never mind your significant other. IU is a solid school. Would you have to do long distance regardless of school you went to, or just UVA?

My partner lives in Indianapolis, so we would be the opposite of long distance if I went to IUSM-Indy! We have never lived in the same place for an extended period of time, so it would be significant to be guaranteed to be in the same city for four years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote for UVA - better reputation, smaller class, more research opportunities, etc. Plus, IU left a really bad taste in my mouth with their disorganized and disrespectful interview cycle. Just my 2 cents.

I feel you - IU didn't leave me with a very positive impression after the interview day! I feel like they don't try very hard to recruit/make a good impression because they are the only MD program in the state of Indiana and know people will go there for in-state tuition.

My partner lives in Indianapolis, so we would be the opposite of long distance if I went to IUSM-Indy! We have never lived in the same place for an extended period of time, so it would be significant to be guaranteed to be in the same city for four years.
So UVA has the better reputation and Charlottesville is a cool suburban city. But, it seems to me that family and support system is more important to you (as it would be for me). My vote is for IU for the happiness and love factor

I'd add a poll so people can give their opinions without posting.

I did not interview (or apply) to either school, so my thoughts are pretty generic.

Sure, UVA is a slightly better school. Being close to SO and family makes a difference. Then add a larger metro area to do stuff in and not a college town. Based on your career aspirations, both schools would be great for you. The main question is, where do you see yourself doing your residency? While I have not looked at match lists, typically, a majority of people do residencies in the state the med school is in or a neighboring one (obvious self-selection here).

Also, interview days are good for getting a general feel, but can fog the lenses to what the school is like and if it is a great fit or not.

Reactions: 1 user