Indiana University = trash talking about ICO!

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Grand Teton, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Grand Teton

Grand Teton Member

Hey,
    Does anybody know when IU sends out acceptance or rejection letters? I just had my interview on Friday and I am kind of wondering when to expect the letter!! yikes! Also. When I was at IU they were trashing ICO pretty heavily, perhaps because I told them I was accepted there...but they said some stuff like that they accept 150 students but only have 90 seats for the clinic so they trash 60 students??? geez..don't think I believe that one. Another bash was that ICO scores so well on boards because they cheat and get to look at the board test before they actually take it!! Right...almost believe that one...A couple of students at IU were telling me this!! Crazy? Anyways...the school is great and the campus is beautiful..so between ICO and IU it would be a difficult decison! First I hope I get in!!.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OD2BMike

OD2BMike Member

I don't think you'll make a bad decision. They're both good schools and their programs are very similar. I graduated from ICO and am now doing residency through IU; although I've only been to the IU campus once. IU students and grads I've worked with are great, even if they do dislike ICO. I think they're jealous of ICO being in a real city ;) Get used to the trash talking, it occurs everywhere I think. good luck.

-mike

4. Grand Teton

Grand Teton Member

At IU they told me that ICO admits 150 students but only has 90 seats available in the clinic so they need to weed 60 students out. This isn't true is it? I remember on my interview they told me that you get assigned a "sweet" in the clinic your first year. What school is more difficult to get into, ICO or IU? I have been acepted at ICO. but am still waiting on IU.

5. OD2BMike

OD2BMike Member

The comments about 90 slots in clinic are absolutely not true. You are correct that students are assigned a primary care suite for your clinical rotations. During 3rd year you will see patients in that suite. During 4th year you will rotate through other services, including at least 2 rotations off campus. It may be that as ICO expands its externship program they will actually need 3rd year students to spend more time in the school clinic.

6. Grand Teton,
    I haven't heard anything from IU yet but I was waiting on my OAT scores, which they now have. So hopefully I'll hear soon.

On the subject of ICO, both IU and NEWENCO alluded to the idea (well, students did, anyway) that ICO is known as a weeder school. One student at NEWENCO told me about how he was rejected from ICO for being a music major. I just think that you have to take all the rumors with a grain of salt. Don't let them affect your decision though, go to the school that's best for you.