Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone there this last weekend (ie Friday/Saturday session)? Any thoughts on admission for out of staters? I know Dr. Kasberg said 60/180, but thats still makes me nervous. How did your interviews go?

Members don't see this ad.

Bullfan16 said:
Anyone there this last weekend (ie Friday/Saturday session)? Any thoughts on admission for out of staters? I know Dr. Kasberg said 60/180, but thats still makes me nervous. How did your interviews go?

I was there awhile ago, but I thought for out-of-staters it was a total of 35 seats available between the 300-350 people interviewed. Anyone else hear anything about what the acceptance to interview rate is for out-of-staters. Bullfan16 where did you hear 60 accepted out of the 180 interviewed, just curious?

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Yeah, IUSD fills 30-35 seats each year with nonresident students, and 60-65 to in-staters.

Hey aphistis, do you know if it is an advantage to interview early and how many out-of-staters get interviewed? Thanks

1) Dr. Kasberg said that while yes, there are 250-300 out of state students who are interviewed each year, there are about 180 out of staters that have interviewed so far. He said they offer all of the out of state spots by December 1st. Now, that does not mean every out of stater will take the spot. I am sure many people interviewed January and beyond have a decent chance to get a spot, however, he said they offer all their spots to out of staters and to in staters by December 1st. I am sure you know most schools do things this way (with some exceptions).

2) He also said that despite the fact that the class is made up of 65-70 in state students and 30-35 out of state students, they offer 40-60 out of state spots. These words are taken directly from his mouth. If you ask for a dental schools exact numbers they will show this trend....ie offering more people spots than a class is alloted to have. My state school offered something like 79 spots for what should have been a class of 60, however, 65 accepted the offer. Right before my interview he said "you have a 1:3 chance of getting in, dont be nervous" (60 spots/180 applicants). Thats where I got those numbers from.

Lastly, before I left, he said that those of us who interviewed later on have a slight advantage in that the interviewers will remember who we are slightly better than those who interviewed 1-2 months ago. Again, I am going by what Dr. Kasberg told me, I am not making this up. Good luck...oh and he said to call the school on December 1st to find out the status of your application.

Bullfan16 said:
1) Dr. Kasberg said that while yes, there are 250-300 out of state students who are interviewed each year, there are about 180 out of staters that have interviewed so far. He said they offer all of the out of state spots by December 1st. Now, that does not mean every out of stater will take the spot. I am sure many people interviewed January and beyond have a decent chance to get a spot, however, he said they offer all their spots to out of staters and to in staters by December 1st. I am sure you know most schools do things this way (with some exceptions).

2) He also said that despite the fact that the class is made up of 65-70 in state students and 30-35 out of state students, they offer 40-60 out of state spots. These words are taken directly from his mouth. If you ask for a dental schools exact numbers they will show this trend....ie offering more people spots than a class is alloted to have. My state school offered something like 79 spots for what should have been a class of 60, however, 65 accepted the offer. Right before my interview he said "you have a 1:3 chance of getting in, dont be nervous" (60 spots/180 applicants). Thats where I got those numbers from.

Lastly, before I left, he said that those of us who interviewed later on have a slight advantage in that the interviewers will remember who we are slightly better than those who interviewed 1-2 months ago. Again, I am going by what Dr. Kasberg told me, I am not making this up. Good luck...oh and he said to call the school on December 1st to find out the status of your application.

Thank you Bullfan16, that cleared up a lot of my questions, and good luck to you too.

can any of you indiana folks tell me what number can I call to check on the status of my application? Thanks in advance.

bullfan is right, they will send out approximately 60 accpetances knowing only half of them will accept the offer, thus filling their out-of-state class size of 30.

lets hope that you guys all get in on Dec 1st. In case you end up on the waitlist, you will still be fine.
i was on waitlist as #5 last year and got in within 2 weeks.
the year before they went all the way to #46 for the out of state list.
and the year before that,they went through the wholelist.

good luck to you all.

is there any interview tips for indiana. my interveiw date is jan 10th. i am flying in on the 8th, what is there to do in the city?

cheesecake,

check the interview feedback section of the forum. IUSD interviews are awesome. it will be your best one. as for whats to do?
hmmmmm, i am still trying to figure that out. lol. ok there is the downtown part. there are places to go there unless you are from CA. lol
good luck bud.