1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Indiana versus Michigan?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by peterngu, Dec 17, 2008.

1. peterngu

peterngu Who named buffalo knives?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a California resident, I got accepted into both programs, and am hoping to get some feedback as I have been able to do so many times before from these forums.

As an out of stater, I would have to pay out of state tuition for both with no chance of establishing residency, so it really just comes down to the strength of the two programs. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dentisttobe42

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    honestly? i haven't been to michigan but have heard great things about it. I interviewed at Indiana and didn't like much of anything about it. I think the program at Michigan is good (from what i hear) but just in terms of the dental school itself, I'd say if you have a choice, stay away from Indiana! its such a s**t hole of a d. school (IMO of course).. i mean the head of admissions even said so.. go to michigan!

4. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A big factor should be PBL (Indiana) vs. Lecture/Traditional (Michigan) and what suits you.

5. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Unless you're in-state for Indiana, or in love with PBL for some reason, I see no reason to choose Indiana over Michigan.

Go to Michigan :thumbup:

6. TeamGuo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Michigan.

7. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If were polling, I'd say Michigan as well. It just seemed like a very solid program top to bottom surrounded by a true college town. Was very close to choosing UMich myself last cycle.

8. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Will you be attending the Rose bowl?

9. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will not, although many of my classmates will as they won the right to buy tickets though the student lottery system. If it weren't for that Oregon State blunder we'd be in a different bowl playing for a national championship. :smack:

That was one of the other aspects I liked about Michigan. Lots of big time sports and school spirit throughout Ann Arbor. And yes, even with this forgettable season, one day they too will make it back to the rose bowl.

10. xhamburgersamx

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi Peter,

Depends on what city suits you better. You don't get residency tuition after the first year? I would probably prefer Michigan over indiana just because of the negative comments about the school/pbl from students all across the boards. The brand "umich dentistry" is probably much more prestigious and known than indiana as well. Just dual deposit and think more about it since 45 days isn't enough for a lot of people.

11. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I really agree with the school spirit, it really lights up the atmosphere and energizes it. Nothing beats going to a football game on saturday, regardless how much one has to study, right? Richie will get things straightened up at Michigan, just like he did for WV and the other teams.

Too bad for USC, Pete Carrol is the bomb though. The vikings need him for the head coach :laugh:. Probably isn't going to happen.

I went to Indiana and enjoyed it. The students seemed happy, but it really comes down to if you would be a good fit for PBL...

12. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From what I've heard on the forums and picked up on impressions, I think most people will say Michigan. Great reputation, I've heard horror stories on PBL, and (hate to admit it) it's a pretty good school...

13. DrReo

10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I don't think I've ever read a Buckeye stating a Wolverine is better than something... Rich Rod will hopefully give y'all a run for your money as we will see Texas do soon!

14. peterngu

peterngu Who named buffalo knives?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your input everyone!

I had heard good things about both schools, and Indiana had just received a bunch of funding for the kind of research I was interested in, but I definitely am focused on practicing after school.

Of course every pre-dental student is trained on traditional didactic curriculum, but I do know that a lot of medical schools are implementing some form of PBL into their programs. This leads me to believe that it is better than most people give it credit for.

Have you heard anything about the availability of patients for either school, or their state-licensing exam passing rate (I think that's a better gauge of program strength than board passing)? I'm going to email the schools themselves to ask but I definitely value your feedback too! Also, I'm afraid of the possible "Of course we have plenty of patients" without the whole truth from the schools themselves.

#13 peterngu, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008