Indiana vs Brody ECU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

39djdjcnd9

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for reading, please try not to quote this! Thanks:)

IUSM

Pros:
I loved it there during interview.
id be in an inner city-indianapolis, which where I want to be (grew up in one).
Although I have no support at all (will be my first time ever living in the midwest), I've moved around a great deal in my life, so I like the process of starting "over" in a new environment.
Could picture myself there
Higher ranked, and I feel like IU would serve me better in terms of residency placement. (i am interested in a surgical sub, mainly Uro)
I feel like more opportunities just due to being the only med school in the state and more NIH money, more faculty, etc.
They are TRUE Pass/Fail, and boy it's really hard to fail
And they have home residency programs that I am interested in

Cons:
Money!!!! I have no scholarship or grants so I'm looking at 83k per year total COA
pretty dang cold
I am far from family (i know i have that a pro, but it goes both ways)

ECU-Brody

Pros:
Very cheap, plus I'm receiving 16k as of now, which could go up once annual scholarships are available, so NO LOANS.
It's simple and I know exactly what I'm getting myself into, they are a tremendously robust and mission driven school that knows who they are does what they do, no surprises.
Close to friends and family
If I wanted to go to Primary care/Internal id be in a good place for that
Very respectable ONLY in the state of NC (have many ppl matching at UNC and Duke)

Cons:
Greenville (location is a big factor)
I couldn't "picture" myself there during the interview
They are A/B/C/D grading
Not really a diverse area
Also going there wouldn't have that "new place/new start" feel
Idk if I could/would find my soulmate here
Don't know how set i'd be in terms of matching outside the state in competitive surgery sub
They don't have a home urology residency department
lower ranked overall
Don't know if i will connect with my classmates (this should get cleared up after second look)

If money wasn't a issue it'd be IUSM, but six figures in debt scares me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m a proud IU graduate who could tell you much about the wonderful opportunities there...and I’d take the free ride, hands down. If you excel at any USMD school you can end up anywhere you want when it’s over.

Reactions: 1 user
The free ride is hard to pass up. If it was only 20k or so a year difference it's be easy but I think for the price concern Brody is the correct decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys all! A lot of my mentors (well known physicians) have told me to go to IU despite the difference in money.

Well, the advice of people who know you and your situation and priorities(especially people in your intended field) is worth valuing over anonymous strangers like me who don’t. You can and will pay off loans if IU is really better for you and your goals - most people do take and pay off loans wherever they go. You have 5 years as a resident in uro to make income based payments on a residency salary and then a uro salary to work with, not bad. As long as uro is plausible for you and you can tell by your MCAT if it’s likely to be.

Look at this way. Is not going to Brody worth paying 6k per month for 10 years after residency to you? Of 10k for 5 years? Because that's what you'll be seeing. I usually am the first to say go where you want, but that's a lotttt of money. You can definitely pay it off, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.