Indiana vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopSpent

Reaction score
It comes down to a hard decision between these two schools; both are truly amazing in their own respects, but as I don't know too many medical students, I want as much info as possible. So here we go:

Indiana

Pros:

- Already have a life here, as I did my undergrad there.
-Between Bloomington/Indy campuses (have been told if you rank regional campus first, you will get it) I know I would be happy.
- Specifically Bloomington, the new Regional Academic Center seems appealing as a way to continue medical school in a small city setting
-For 3rd year, Bloomington's 8 person class and exposure to ALL specialties would allow me to explore interests early on.
- Have met many doctors to have as mentors through shadowing/job
-About $140k cheaper without any potential scholarships.

Cons:
-Still unsure if I would be constrained to practicing in the Midwest; unsure if I want to remain in the Midwest my entire life.
- Not too many clinical volunteer opportunities sponsored by the medical school outside of Indy, Terre Haute, and South Bend
- Have heard that gunners can be troubling in some classes
-5 year MD/MPH program

Tulane

Pros:

-4 year MD/MPH program
-Students were the happiest and most chill I have seen at any school
-Culture of New Orleans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Culture in most of Indiana
-Cost of living isn't too much different than Indiana schools
-Everyone knows Tulane
-SOOOO Many Clinical Volunteer Options

Cons:
-Cross-country move would be difficult
-Essentially would have to start over as I know no one in the South
-Swamp *Butt*
-No/Very Little Rock Climbing (avid rock climber/hiker)
-Very high tuition :(

I knew if it boiled down to these two schools, it'd be a difficult decision, but I flip back and forth between the schools from day to day so having more information/opinions would be suber beneficial!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, If money is a factor, for sure indy. If you do well on board, you're not exactly constraint to midwest and everyone heard of indy. However, I love new orleans and you might/might not get the campus you want so. Would you still consider IU if you somehow end up at Gary or the 6 other one?

Honestly, If money is a factor, for sure indy. If you do well on board, you're not exactly constraint to midwest and everyone heard of indy. However, I love new orleans and you might/might not get the campus you want so. Would you still consider IU if you somehow end up at Gary or the 6 other one?

You usually get your top 2 campuses. So I’m pretty confident I’d end up in Bloomington since most people pick Indy’s campus when they rank. I like most of the campuses though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose Tulane purely based on the overall prestige of the school. I think if you want to go into academia/match to bigger names, Tulane might be the better choice here. Their match list is pretty stellar honestly. That being said, based on your interests (rock climbing) and how heavily you weigh debt in your quality of life, Indiana might be better for ya.

Either way, great places. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Indiana. Tulane's prestige is overrated imo and not worth the extra money

What makes you say Tulane’s prestige is overrated? If anything, it seems to be underrated given their lack of a US news ranking.
It is overrated the emphasis people put on that very claim. Yes Tulane is good and unranked but it isnt that prestigious to pay more for in this case.

If I were you, I would pick Tulane because you said that New Orleans' culture is much better, and the students seem happiest/chillest. You're going to be doing a lot of school and a lot of living for the next four years, why not go with the place where you will be happiest, chillest, and most excited to go?

Tulane itself is not in the swamp, so I don't think it's fair to count that as a con.

You sound like you want to go to Tulane more than Indiana, and you're trying to find logical reasons to stay at Indiana. Which is fine. But just realize that there is no "correct" answer. You have your own priorities, and you get to decide the value of each pro and con that you created.

That's the beauty of life! You decide!