Indiana....what the? Now I'm worried..;(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowballz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the interview feedback for Indiana University..and was astonished at the fact that they ask about SAT scores and high school GPA's during interviews. As a 23 year old woman..I'd find that insulting. (That..and the fact I quit high school in the 10th grade...and never took the SAT.) I'm worried now. What the hell does high school performance have to do with me as a person now? Or my college GPA? Or my work ethic and motivation now? Why does IU waste interview time asking something so inane? I think I'm going to email someone at IU and ask..seriously. Did anyone who interviewed at IU get asked this?

Alicia

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to IU, but I can tell you that you need to calm down. Seriously. First of all they probably don't ask everyone that, it probably just came up in conversation or something. Secondly, the worst thing you can do during an interview or before is throw a fit about the question. If they ask you about it, you tell them the truth. Obviously if you say that you dropped out of school in 10th grade, it's going to grab their attention and then you have a story to tell about how you got back on track and did well enough to apply to medical school. Don't be insulted or angry about it. Just deal with it like any other question. It always looks good when you can address something like that with class and without getting flustered. Seriously, it's no big deal and not worth worrying about. Don't throw up a red flag by getting all worked up.

I've heard that some med schools ask for SAT scores because they may be a better indication of how well people do in med school - Jefferson specifically asked for them in their secondary. How many of us actually remember the exact scores or our highschool GPA? Not me! I agree with ccCrazie - it might be something that they throw at you to catch you off guard. Tell them the truth and use it as a springboard for talking about all your accomplishments. You'll be okay!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana asks everybody their SAT scores and high school rank.

Why though? How is high school performance relevant? In my case, it absolutely has no correlation to anything in my college career. We aren't children.....

Alicia

sorry snowballz, but when i interviewed at IU, they asked my SAT and rank. like others have said don't freak out about the ?. it might actually work for you....you'll have something interesting to talk about and (hopefully) it will show your hard work. I remember from past indy news stories i heard that the SAT/ACT scores were lower in IN than the rest of the country in the past few yrs and it's been a big issue to try toand bring them up....I can't imagine why the IN STATE medical school would ask about SAT scores.

i would just be honest and let them do with the information what they may...i think that you are right and you just need to trust that they will evaluate you as a candidate in your entirety...

good luck. just walk in there and give it to 'em (in a good way!)

gipper