Indiana

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brettp11, Oct 21, 2002.

1. brettp11

brettp11 Member

Anyone hear anything back from Indiana? I interviewed in August and haven't heard yet. Maybe they haven't started mailing yet?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brettp11

brettp11 Member

4. tooshortmk

tooshortmk Junior Member

I interviewed with IU on Aug. 28, but haven't heard anything . When I called in, they gave me a generic response about finding out anytime between Oct. 15 and March 15. By the way, are you Indiana residents? I am.:confused:

5. brettp11

brettp11 Member

I'm a resident and I called and got the same generic response which wasn't very helpful. I was under the impression they mailed out each month's acceptances on the 15th, meaning if you didn't receive anything by the 22th or so than a decision hadn't been made. Hopefully they've been delayed this month.

6. tooshortmk

tooshortmk Junior Member

They also told me that they send out rejections on the 29th of the month so if you get something around the 1st of the month, that might not be so good. Lets hope for the 15th.

7. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey

Can the INDIANA people make sure they update the interview feedback site?

Appreciate it!!!!

:)

8. brettp11

brettp11 Member

9. brettp11

brettp11 Member

10. opus03

opus03 Senior Member

I have a question, I am a non-res(IL) with very strong ties to IN. I received a secondary from IU last week and sent it back. It says that a few weeks after you receive it you will be invited for an interview. Does this mean that they interview everyone they send a secondary to?? Any info would help, thanks.

11. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member

Someone..anyone..info on Indiana? I'm a resident...applying for 2003 cycle..want to know what it's like!!

bump

Alicia

12. kidmel45

kidmel45 Member

i applied to IU last year (IL resident) but ended up at SIU in IL anyways, but here's my experiences. i went to Butler for undergrad, so I had ties to IN (plus my dad was working in Indy at the time). I got the secondary and interviewed mid october and didn't get the rejection letter until the last possible day (may something). The people in the admissions office seemed to be very cautious about letting any info out. Dunno why. From what I've heard, IU is the best chance for IN residents. Actually, it's a pretty good school. There's the whole 9 campuses for the first 2 yrs which is kinda cool. The hospitals in the area are pretty good. (Reilly, Methodist, St V's). They were remodeling the Indy campus last year...looked promising. The library was pretty good when i used it. Almost all of the kids from Butler that applied got in. Someone had said if you're an IN resident, they'll interview you even with a low 20s MCAT. The interview was super laid back and it was the best (in terms of info given to me) that I had. Hope this helps....if you want more info lemme know. Hang in there!

13. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member

I actually go to IUPUI...so I'm familiar with the campus. Yes, I think the minimum for state residents is a 23 MCAT and a 3.2 cumm...quite liberal I think. The nine campuses allows them to take lots of students, however, I used to live in Terre Haute and am not willing to spend two whole years studying medicine without access to Indiana faculty here in Indy. IU is obviously my first choice..because well, it's the most economical option....and I already live within walking distance of campus. I can fantasize about Northwestern, but quite frankly, IU is my best option....plus, IU is a great school..with lots of great faculty. Average accepted GPA meets mine too!! ;)

Good luck..

Alicia

14. jwin

jwin Senior Member

bump...anybody talk to someone in the IU office? will they send out acceptances on the 15th?

15. jwin

jwin Senior Member

today is the 15th...will they only send out letters, or will they call anyone today? calling all hoosiers

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. tooshortmk

tooshortmk Junior Member

Hey everyone. I called IU last week. They don't give any info over the phone. They said that they are mailing letters out on the 15th (yesterday) and that if you don't get anything by the the 23rd, you probably will have to wait again till next month. One thing that might make everyone feel a little better...I spoke to Karen Baxter (assistant director of admissions) two weeks ago and she said that not many people at all (only EPD) was looked at for acceptances in October. I think a lot of people will be receiving acceptances this month. Good luck to all!

18. brettp11

brettp11 Member

19. lotanna

lotanna Child of God

Mich. resident, Got pre-seondary rejection from Indiana yesterday, oh well :p

20. tooshortmk

tooshortmk Junior Member

Hey guys. Well, I got in :clap:. I hope all of you check your mailboxes and find an envelope from IU. So, they do send them out on the 15th. Wait a couple days after and start looking. GOOD LUCK!!!

21. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey

CONGRATS 2SHORT!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was there for a master's interview yesterday and they definitely said the committee meets and acceptances should go out mid-Dec. if your paperwork is done.

So if someone's waiting...keep waitin and keep the faith!

22. brettp11

brettp11 Member

bump, anyone still waiting for a decision???

23. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2

Hey all:
    I hate to add to the gripes, however I saw this Indiana thread and I couldn't resist. I applied to Indiana last year and received a secondary fairly quickly. I then received and interview invitation and went to it. I got a very bad impression of IU from the interview, I thought my interviewers were very cold and rude to me.
    I also didnt' like that for the first 2 years the class is spread out among various campuses....how does this promote class unity and let everyone get to know each other..answer..it just doesn't.

I interviewed on Oct 10 last year....then I just wanted to see what would happen. I waited...waited...waited..waited...and waited some more. Come March, I still had heard nothing from IU..and being fed up with taking my money for the secondary, making me travel to Indiana, and wait, I decided to withdraw. I would not give them the satisfaction of rejecting me.

I'm from Michigan...it seems like they interviewed a lot of the out of state applicants..but they accept so few out of staters. My advice is..if you don't have residency in Indiana..or have a lot of patience....DO NOT APPLY THERE!!

Proud to be a Spartan....

Mossjoh

24. jwin

jwin Senior Member

In my future school's defense, I would like to say a couple of things.

1. Your experience of interviewing and having to wait while hearing nothing is not unique to IU; many schools operate on similar time lines.

2. To anyone who did research on the schools they were applying it should be fairly obvious that many if not most state schools for med school do not accept many out of staters and typically interview many more out of state persons than they will accept. In most resources on med schools, the state schools which grant residency preference will say that they are comprised of >90% in state students. Everyone should know their chances are not good at these state schools and should interview at their own risk of time and money. However even given these factors, IU still does not seem to be too cruel to out of state interviewers; last year they interviewed 270 and accepted 88--similar to many schools who do not grant preference based on residency.