indianapolis neighborhoods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which area around Indy is good for intern salary with family? Hey, these are important questions! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hint: this is a question to ask the program co-ordinator/residents at the program. Not only will you get the best answer, but you'll also allow them to know you better (see what a super nice guy you are) and it'll emphasize how sincere your desire to rank them is. ;)

Broad Ripple! Or, try Carmel or Fishers (but more pricey).

I do intend to ask residents, but I get into town one day early so I thought I might travel around to see the city. yes, the real estate prices are quite nice for what you get. we'll see..Thanks :cool:

APACHE3 said:
I do intend to ask residents, but I get into town one day early so I thught I might travel around to see the city. yes, the real estate prices are quite nice for what you get. we'll see..Thanks :cool:

At IU they take you on a city tour at the end of the day. The tour is given by a real estate agent who talks to you about places to live and property prices.

Broad Ripple seems to be the best bet. It's the Indy yuppie/bohemian neighborood. Not bad but it's very small. There really aren't too many bohemians in Indy.

Broad Ripple is a nice place to live (as others have said). However, it is more for singles and less for families. Many residents (and many residents with families) live on the Northwest side in Pike township. Real estate prices are good, access to downtown is easy (you have to watch out living on the Northeast side, as the commute is much more difficult), and everything you need can be found near home (the same cannot be said for downtown). Just my two cents.

How far would you have to travel from Broad Ripple, Carmel, Fishers?

And IndyXRT- Northwest Side of Pike township- any specific neighborhoods/divisions? Easy access to downtown would be good- how long is that commute?

Apache- my husband was the same way- he planned to ask around at the interview, but he was there a day early and wanted to explore.

Seemed to be many reasonably priced homes. I also found a link to some homes for sale (dated May 05 though) on the IU GME Site. So it might give you an idea of what's out there.

lovemydrhubby said:
How far would you have to travel from Broad Ripple, Carmel, Fishers?

And IndyXRT- Northwest Side of Pike township- any specific neighborhoods/divisions? Easy access to downtown would be good- how long is that commute?

Apache- my husband was the same way- he planned to ask around at the interview, but he was there a day early and wanted to explore.

Seemed to be many reasonably priced homes. I also found a link to some homes for sale (dated May 05 though) on the IU GME Site. So it might give you an idea of what's out there.

Look, Indy is frickin' tiny. There's no such thing as a long commute there if you actually live withing the city limits. ;)

The Southwest side of town is nice too in the Greenwood/Center Grove area (where I grew up). You can live there and be downtown in 20 mintues. It would be more of a family area then Broad Ripple. I'm going to be moving back to the area in June for my 3rd and 4th years of med school.

Oh ok! I thought the places you mentioned were outside the city limits. 20 minutes is not bad.

Thanks, I'll be there next week. Hopefully the snow will stay away long enough to see the city. see ya! :D

Pike Township and Broad Ripple are within the city limits. I-65 runs diagonally through Pike Township and goes straight downtown. 15-20 minute commute. From Broad Ripple, you have to drive through town. I would estimate, again, 15-20 minutes. Carmel and Fishers are outside the city limits (which equal the county limits for Indianapolis), and the commute is a little longer. Also, lots of people live there and commute to downtown, so the traffic is much heavier from the north east (I-69 is significantly slowed down virtually every day at rush hour). Now, we're not talking Chicago-style traffic jams, but it's still annoying. If you'll be driving in before rush hour every day (which you may, depending on your specialty), then all of this is moot. Commute from Carmel/Fishers non-rush hour is around 20-25 minutes.

In Pike Township, there are multiple nice neighborhoods. My favorite is around the 71st street area (close to both 456 and 65, so easy access to anywhere in the city). Several residents live in apartments/houses/condos on 38th street west of 465. There are also neighborhoods on 46th street west of 465 and some on 56th street near Eagle Creek Park. It's not a huge area: I would recommend just driving around to see if there's anything you like. Enjoy your visit!

Just got my tickets for the Indy 500. Gonna rent me a RV and plop down with some Pabst on old Georgetown. YEEEEEEEHAWWWW!

BTW: I hear taxes in that area are non-existent due to the races. Is that true? May be somethin' to look into...