Indicating future AmeriCorps service on application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbagels

EM PGY1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to doing a year with Americorps while I apply, but I plan to send in my primary June 1 and only start service in August. I know AMCAS doesn't allow future date entry for activities, is there a way I can indicate that I'm starting Americorps at all on my application? Should I?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to doing a year with Americorps while I apply, but I plan to send in my primary June 1 and only start service in August. I know AMCAS doesn't allow future date entry for activities, is there a way I can indicate that I'm starting Americorps at all on my application? Should I?

Working it into your PS is prob the only way. I wouldn't do it unless you're definitely 100% accepted and committed to doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working it into your PS is prob the only way. I wouldn't do it unless you're definitely 100% accepted and committed to doing it.

I interviewed for and was accepted to the position and 100% plan on doing it, so unless I come down with cancer or something I don't see myself not completing the year.

The only reason I ask is because a) the year is very important to me and is an extension of some previous volunteering and outreach that I was doing and b) I know how favorably adcom's look on Peacecorps/Americorps/TFA and don't want to leave that off my app when I send it in.

I interviewed for and was accepted to the position and 100% plan on doing it, so unless I come down with cancer or something I don't see myself not completing the year.

The only reason I ask is because a) the year is very important to me and is an extension of some previous volunteering and outreach that I was doing and b) I know how favorably adcom's look on Peacecorps/Americorps/TFA and don't want to leave that off my app when I send it in.

The bolded is where your money lies...if this volunteering and outreach was super important to you, then write it up as your "most meaningful" and slip in a few sentences about how you are so invested in it that you plan to extend it into an Americorps year. That way it's in there, it's noted while they are reading your ECs, and it demonstrates your long-term commitment to that program, without being a concrete EC of its own. If you want to be careful (in case you do get cancer or something), you can phrase it as "am looking into ways to extend it via Americorps" or "have been accepted into the Americorps program to continue this work", which are true, discrete facts instead of grandiose promises.

Then don't send it in until you actually start at Americorps. Do not put future things on AMCAS.

You can work it into your PS and secondaries. Americorps will not make a difference when it comes to receiving secondaries and you will have started in time to send an update pre-interview if you really want to.

Last edited:
The don't send it in until you actually start at Americorps. Do not put future things on AMCAS.

You can work it into your PS and secondaries. Americorps will not make a difference when it comes to receiving secondaries and you will have started in time to send an update pre-interview if you really want to.

This. I was in the same situation this application cycle, my service year as an AC member did not begin until August--after I had submitted my primary (although I accepted my position in April and wanted to make sure that schools knew about it).

I spoke about it in most of my secondarys (easy peasy for the ones that ask what you are doing if you aren't going to be a full time student). But you can not, and should not list it on your primary app. Working it into your PS is a foolproof way to make sure that schools can see it.

Great advice everyone, very helpful. I'll work it into my PS and description of the volunteering I'm doing, and mention it in my secondaries.

Thanks!
Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Why would you write it in your PS? There is a finite amount of space to write about why you are interested in becoming a physician. You don't want to waste any on an activity in which you have yet to partake. You can always update schools later in an letter of interest or something like that.

Why would you write it in your PS? There is a finite amount of space to write about why you are interested in becoming a physician. You don't want to waste any on an activity in which you have yet to partake. You can always update schools later in an letter of interest or something like that.

+1 I agree with this. Don't waste space in your PS or your AMCAS app talking about future activities. D o N o t under any circumstances discuss future activities in your AMCAS app *at all.* It just isn't the place for it. By all means though, talk about it during your interviews (+ you'll have done some work in your position by the time you're offered an interview, which gives your AC work more credibility). Also, by all means write about it in your secondaries if there's space for it.

Adcoms are interested in reading about what you've done, not what you're going to do.

Source: Myself. Applied successfully this cycle, multiple interviews and acceptances. Similarly, I enlisted in an Americorps position while applying.

Last edited:

+1 I agree with this. Don't waste space in your PS talking about future activities. There will be space to talk about this in your secondaries and in your interviews. D o N o t under any circumstances discuss future activities in your AMCAS app *at all.* It just isn't the place for it.

Source: Myself. Applied successfully this cycle, multiple interviews and acceptances. I served in the AmeriCorps last year and, similarly, pursued a similar position for a second AmeriCorps term while applying.

Mentioning it would only take a few words. For example:

"Leadership is an important part of being a physician blah blah blah blah blah. My experience with X organization blah blah blah and through this I learned blah blah blah and have decided pursuing Americorps in the Fall will allow me to continue blah blah blah"

Btw, congrats on the AmeriCorps position! Rock on fellow AC member!

Gettin' things done, for Amerruica! :thumbup: