Indications that a school is a bad fit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some less obvious indications that a school may not be the right fit for you? Maybe something that students don't realize until already enrolled, or don't believe is that important until too late?

(e.g. weather? distance? Food?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lack of support groups/distance from family

Mindset of your classmates (all Classes have personalities, in the same way your kids do)

Curriculum type. It's one thing to be told "the curriculum is PBL" ..if you have never experienced, it might come as a shock.

The vibe you get on interview day. You have to trust your gut.

The locale. The school itself might be fine, but the locality (say, rural KY or TN) might not be good for you, especially if you're LGBT or a minority.

Reactions: 18 users
Lack of support groups/distance from family

Mindset of your classmates (all Classes have personalities, in the same way your kids do)

Curriculum type. It's one thing to be told "the curriculum is PBL" ..if you have never experienced, it might come as a shock.

The vibe you get on interview day. You have to trust your gut.

The locale. The school itself might be fine, but the locality (say, rural KY or TN) might not be good for you, especially if you're LGBT or a minority.
Awesome, great list!

Members don't see this ad :)

Or the opposite. Being from podunk USA :hello: and the school is in NYC or California (hence why I didn't apply to any schools there)

Reactions: 4 users
What are some less obvious indications that a school may not be the right fit for you? Maybe something that students don't realize until already enrolled, or don't believe is that important until too late?

(e.g. weather? distance? Food?)

Mandatory / non-mandatory lectures

Reactions: 5 users
Accepts me = good fit
Rejects me = bad fit

• Haha
Reactions: 39 users
When you cry on the plane ride there because you miss your family.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
When you cry on the plane ride there because you miss your family.

Man, I wish my family lived close to a med school. Just be grateful that there is a med school within 500 miles of your house. Well that's my parents and siblings. My wife and kids live with me obviously. If we go to the same school you can join my family!

I'll have to ok that with my wife

• Haha
Man, I wish my family lived close to a med school. Just be grateful that there is a med school within 500 miles of your house. Well that's my parents and siblings. My wife and kids live with me obviously. If we go to the same school you can join my family!

I'll have to ok that with my wife
Yeah I'm really fortunate to have a school close to home.

And thanks for the offer Haha. I'll need all the support I can get if I have to move away from my family.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't rule out a school until AFTER you get accepted. Try to go to their second look weekends, too!

If you walkout if interview day and think “Meh” then it isn’t a good fit. If they end up being your only A, do still go there. But the very subjective feeling of “Meh” is your determiner. If you want to know what it feels like to see a good fit, go read my thousand word essay on the UMich thread...

• Wow
A lot of people want to stay close to family... I have a good relationship with my parents, don’t get me wrong, however maybe it’s time for the bird to leave the nest. I personally don’t mind being half way across the country from then.

Reactions: 1 users
Or Longwood/Brookline in Boston #shade
I work there and the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that the importance of location can’t be overstated. No dreams of Harvard (or any school in a big city) for this premed!