Indirect posterior restoration protocol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cu4fun2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, can someone post or direct me a step-to-step protocol / guide of the armamentarium and instructions in performing an indirect posterior restoration in 2 visit? Any articles? or videos someone has ? I would like to know the burs recommended, and the material. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Impress for provisional
Coarse chamfer, reduce occlusal.
330 to break contacts.
coarse chamfer for margins.
I like to use triple tray and putty impression, expired is fine. I remove initial impression, place traxodent and comprecap. I trough out the prepped tooth and each surrounding tooth in the impression with a slow speed acrylic bur.
remove comprecap, wash out traxodent. Heavy body in the troughed out area, light body around the margins and prep. Have them seat their teeth into the impression. I usually get very good results with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Impress for provisional
Coarse chamfer, reduce occlusal.
330 to break contacts.
coarse chamfer for margins.
I like to use triple tray and putty impression, expired is fine. I remove initial impression, place traxodent and comprecap. I trough out the prepped tooth and each surrounding tooth in the impression with a slow speed acrylic bur.
remove comprecap, wash out traxodent. Heavy body in the troughed out area, light body around the margins and prep. Have them seat their teeth into the impression. I usually get very good results with this.
When you take the initial impression (I assume you mean before starting the prep) with the putty- do you take two ? 1 - to use as to create the provisional restoration. 2- to take the final impression with (as you described by troughing out the prepped tooth and adjacent teeth ?

When you take the initial impression (I assume you mean before starting the prep) with the putty- do you take two ? 1 - to use as to create the provisional restoration. 2- to take the final impression with (as you described by troughing out the prepped tooth and adjacent teeth ?
It depends on what type of tray you’re using. If you’re using a triple tray then I guess you can do that. Or if you’re using a whole arch tray you can do that as well. As long as you can have the patient guide their teeth into the non troughed areas to capture a good margin.