• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jun 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone, I recently received an offer from a major pharmaceutical company for a summer internship. Pay is pretty decent and likely doubles what I would get doing anything else, and allows me to explore career options outside of medicine/academia. However, the internship is more raw engineering/statistical analysis for process development, drug manufacturing, etc. instead of a typical premed research gig. I don't have anything else lined up for the summer right now except for my usual volunteering commitments on weekends and doing my main school year research part-time— especially considering the coronavirus situation with NIH SIP etc. being cancelled, should I just take the internship? Would it help much from a medical school application standpoint or should I just call it off and do more volunteering?

finn_

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2017
I think if it's something you're interested in you should definitely go for it. I did 2 summer pharmaceutical internships and while I can't tell you whether they helped my application or not, I really enjoyed them and they gave me new experiences that opened my eyes to potential future career opportunities. I had the chance to network with some company executives (MDs) and hearing their perspectives on where medicine is going was really interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.