Industry/Non-Academic Jobs for a Ph.D in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stressed5

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been covered in other threads. New poster here.

I just graduated with my doctorate in Developmental Psychology. I'm on the job market, but can't find anything that I'm both qualified for and that I'm interested in. I hate research and teaching (I know, I have the wrong degree), but I don't have certifications or eligibility for licensure due to having a non-applied degree, meaning I can't provide therapies. I've applied for some industry/private sector jobs, but am not getting much traction, apparently being overqualified with education and underqualified with experience due to spending my entire life in school (and going back again is not an option).

Does anyone have advice or suggestions for where to go from here? Recommendations for job categories outside of academia? Suggestions to improve my applications?

Thank you so much.​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've applied for some industry/private sector jobs, but am not getting much traction
What types of industry/private sector job are you looking at? I know somebody who got hired on at Google in the early 2010s in a product design type position with a PhD in social psych.

Are there any areas of dev psych that you’re especially knowledgeable about? How have you been pitching that from a marketability perspective? Wonder if you can use LinkedIn to cold contact recruiters for companies that you think could use your skills and ‘pitch’ them on how you can make those companies money, rather than wait for postings to come up?

Reactions: 1 user
For the non-clinical degrees, having a very strong background in quant can open doors. Without that background, things get a lot tougher in terms of finding non-academia jobs. How's your stats background?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I just graduated with my doctorate in Developmental Psychology. I'm on the job market, but can't find anything that I'm both qualified for and that I'm interested in. I hate research and teaching (I know, I have the wrong degree), but I don't have certifications or eligibility for licensure due to having a non-applied degree, meaning I can't provide therapies. I've applied for some industry/private sector jobs, but am not getting much traction, apparently being overqualified with education and underqualified with experience due to spending my entire life in school (and going back again is not an option).

Does anyone have advice or suggestions for where to go from here? Recommendations for job categories outside of academic? Suggestions to improve my applications?

Thank you so much.​
Do you know any alumni from your program who went into industry? I have a lot of friends in industry and they're all very eager to recruit their friends. (I'm guessing not since you're posting here but reconsider what the graduates in the MANY years before you are doing. They may be happy to help.)

When you say you don't like research and teaching....is that global? Or are there aspects within one of those that you DO like (making presentations, developing a teaching plan, organizing teams, administrative work, managing grant financials, analyzing research data, etc.).

I'd start there. If you genuinely dislike everything about research or teaching and can't do clinical work.....yeah that's a problem. You need to go after entry level positions as though you didn't have a PhD and work your way up. Most industry jobs will capitalize on some element of the things you do in your program.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions for where to go from here? Recommendations for job categories outside of academic? Suggestions to improve my applications?

Thank you so much.​
Any job in industry that is looking for a Ph.D. in the social sciences is going to be looking for quant skills and "research" to some degree. Otherwise, it is hard to justify recruiting a Ph.D and paying accordingly.

1) Graduated from where? If you have one of those online PhDs, you're wasting your time.
2) What industries are you looking into? Why haven't they used this field before? Why would they?
3) What would you specifically DO for them on a DAILY basis? How does your education apply to that work product?
4) How would a specific industry quantitatively benefit from your daily work product? Dollars and cents. You're doing something. How would this activity bring in more money? If it's an informational service, it's in their best interest to hire an Ivy PhD for a one time consultation. If it's quantitative, your work product has to be better than decades of quantitative data with predictive modeling. A decade ago, Target's coupon algorithm was able to predict pregnancy before the individual knew.

Do you want to do clinical work? People I know in this position are looking into data science careers, but you'll need to build out your stats skills to including some of the more advanced machine learning and you'll need to shore up R and Python at the absolutely minimum.

What types of industry/private sector job are you looking at? I know somebody who got hired on at Google in the early 2010s in a product design type position with a PhD in social psych.

Are there any areas of dev psych that you’re especially knowledgeable about? How have you been pitching that from a marketability perspective? Wonder if you can use LinkedIn to cold contact recruiters for companies that you think could use your skills and ‘pitch’ them on how you can make those companies money, rather than wait for postings to come up?
I'm very interested in special education and have worked in early intervention, so I'm hoping for something that lets me design curriculum or manage services for young children with disabilities. This is where all of my experience lies so it's also my best bet, but I'm open to jobs outside of this (e.g., HR, marketing, etc.).

I've been using LinkedIn to find positions, but haven't had any luck in cold contacting companies (I've reached out to many many places all over the U.S.). I interviewed at one organization that suggested they would try to create a position for me, despite knowing I couldn't do clinical work, but then ultimately said they couldn't hire me on due to a lack of those credentials. So I'm lost on how to sell myself (at least to places like this) when it seems I can't overcome not having a license.

Last edited:
For the non-clinical degrees, having a very strong background in quant can open doors. Without that background, things get a lot tougher in terms of finding non-academia jobs. How's your stats background?
I'm discovering that also. Unfortunately, stats was my least favorite part of my research projects, and I don't have a natural aptitude for coding. (I can teach myself, but it takes me much longer, and I would not thrive in a setting that required me to do this under pressure.)

Do you know any alumni from your program who went into industry? I have a lot of friends in industry and they're all very eager to recruit their friends. (I'm guessing not since you're posting here but reconsider what the graduates in the MANY years before you are doing. They may be happy to help.)
Unfortunately not. My network is small and is essentially entirely comprised of current faculty at my former institution. I can certainly try to locate cohorts from several years ago and go from there. But since most people in my specific program (logically) desire academic positions, it may be tougher for me to find.

When you say you don't like research and teaching....is that global? Or are there aspects within one of those that you DO like (making presentations, developing a teaching plan, organizing teams, administrative work, managing grant financials, analyzing research data, etc.).

I'd start there. If you genuinely dislike everything about research or teaching and can't do clinical work.....yeah that's a problem. You need to go after entry level positions as though you didn't have a PhD and work your way up. Most industry jobs will capitalize on some element of the things you do in your program.
I'd say the only component I enjoyed of research was the actual data collection. With teaching, I was good at it and liked certain aspects of the student interactions and the organizational elements. I've considered teaching as a backup, but was hoping to find something I was passionate about.

So it seems you're saying I should use those aspects mentioned above to focus on finding a related profession, or sell myself to a company by emphasizing those as strengths?

Any job in industry that is looking for a Ph.D. in the social sciences is going to be looking for quant skills and "research" to some degree. Otherwise, it is hard to justify recruiting a Ph.D and paying accordingly.
I understand, and am finding that as well. I've looked at positions on the masters level as well, hoping to work my way up eventually, but would hate to take a bachelors-level job since getting through graduate school was such a big commitment and I don't want to waste that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Graduated from where? If you have one of those online PhDs, you're wasting your time.
2) What industries are you looking into? Why haven't they used this field before? Why would they?
3) What would you specifically DO for them on a DAILY basis? How does your education apply to that work product?
4) How would a specific industry quantitatively benefit from your daily work product? Dollars and cents. You're doing something. How would this activity bring in more money? If it's an informational service, it's in their best interest to hire an Ivy PhD for a one time consultation. If it's quantitative, your work product has to be better than decades of quantitative data with predictive modeling. A decade ago, Target's coupon algorithm was able to predict pregnancy before the individual knew.
No, I attended one of the largest universities in the country, APA accredited and all that.

So far, I've still been stubbornly trying to find or create a position in the therapeutic setting. I've slowly started transitioning to look for jobs in the consulting, talent acquisition, etc., sectors.

All my experience has been in fields without a tangible product. Since I've only worked in therapy/intervention organizations (some non-profits), bringing in money was never something I had to consider, so I'm feeling lost on how to show that I would increase profits in some way. I've been trying to highlight my research background, since the clinical side doesn't focus on that all the time, stating that I could combine both in some way. But I'm clearly not selling myself correctly.

Do you want to do clinical work? People I know in this position are looking into data science careers, but you'll need to build out your stats skills to including some of the more advanced machine learning and you'll need to shore up R and Python at the absolutely minimum.
Clinical work in some capacity is my dream, yes. Conversely, quantitative work was my biggest weakness and I always struggled, preventing me from doing more than was necessary just to complete my research projects. I was able to learn some very beginner programming (R, SPSS, SOLAR), but I would not be able to operate successfully as a data scientist, both in terms of ability as well as interest. I'm getting the impression that data science is one of the few options in industry, right?

Clinical work in some capacity is my dream, yes. Conversely, quantitative work was my biggest weakness and I always struggled, preventing me from doing more than was necessary just to complete my research projects. I was able to learn some very beginner programming (R, SPSS, SOLAR), but I would not be able to operate successfully as a data scientist, both in terms of ability as well as interest. I'm getting the impression that data science is one of the few options in industry, right?
That's all I've seen thus far. Curious why you aren't considering a respecialization program if clinical work is what you want to do.

Reactions: 2 users
That's all I've seen thus far. Curious why you aren't considering a respecialization program if clinical work is what you want to do.
+1 on the respecialization idea. I've also seen people with non-licensable PhDs get a licensable masters and do clinical work with that.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you considered government/non-profit work? You might be able to find some program development jobs at the dept of aging or perhaps some early childhood programs depending on where your interests lie.

Last edited:
I agree with the above then. Why not consider a respec program if you want to do clinical work? If that is the dream I'm not sure how you even landed in a non-licensable research degree w/limited quant skills (in a field that arguably demands more quant skills relative to say one focused on say, behavioral pharmacology).

Non-profit work is a good idea depending on exactly your experiences. Lots of organizations devoted to helping kiddos. You won't have the earning potential befitting your education, but can start middle class and higher-level admin folks can do pretty well. They'll vary in the amount of hands-on activity they involve. There may be opportunities in regional/state educational groups.
A lot of this will really depends what you want to do though. I mean, data collection is generally not a doctoral level activity or frankly even a master's level activity. If its really the only thing you enjoy though, clinical research coordinator pay has escalated quite a bit the past 10 years or so and 60-70k (or even more) is not unreasonable to achieve. Though generally speaking the higher the pay the less hands-on data collection you would do.

Let's forget the fact that you have a PhD and pretend you are 18 again. What career would you pursue?

No, I attended one of the largest universities in the country, APA accredited and all that.

So far, I've still been stubbornly trying to find or create a position in the therapeutic setting. I've slowly started transitioning to look for jobs in the consulting, talent acquisition, etc., sectors.

All my experience has been in fields without a tangible product. Since I've only worked in therapy/intervention organizations (some non-profits), bringing in money was never something I had to consider, so I'm feeling lost on how to show that I would increase profits in some way. I've been trying to highlight my research background, since the clinical side doesn't focus on that all the time, stating that I could combine both in some way. But I'm clearly not selling myself correctly.

1) Okay, you're out of your field. Not a problem. I'm guessing you don't know much about talent acquisition or business consulting. One is usually done by people with advanced experience in HR, and one is a highly competitive thing for top ten MBA graduates. It's okay to not know that, but that also means that you are applying to positions without knowing about their field. Slow down. The first step in sales is to thoroughly understand the market. It's the same process as applying to grad schools. You spent some time, investigating schools, PIs, labs, funding, stipends, etc. You have to do that for jobs, too. You don't want to be that applicant who doesn't know the difference between social psychology and clinical psychology.

2) You have created a tangible product. It's probably a written report and/or presentations. Think about what you did in those non-profits, and why they wanted you there.

3) You have brought in something to those non-profits. Did you bring in grant funding? Did you provide free labor? Were you so charming that donations increased? Look into that, and you'll find something that people valued. There is no way that they just brought you into that office because you're nice.

4) You can easily learn to sell. Watch a commercial. On a very simple level, you can borrow that plot structure. Bad commercials are less subtle about it. You'll notice that the voiceover person creates a problem (e.g., "Have you ever this problem)?"). Then they offer their product as a solution (e.g., Product makes that a thing of the past by ____!"). If the company is established enough, they will try to define WHO their market is (e.g., "Real men know that____"). And if they are cocky, they induce a false urgency (e.g., "Our labor day sale ends on Monday, so act fast!"). That's what you're trying to do. But not so heavy handed, and a lot more subtly. "Racial discrimination lawsuits cost the average company $50,000 to settle. However, companies that use a social psychologist to train people have a reduced risk of those lawsuits, representing savings of tons of money. Fortune 100 companies have used these services for a decade. Our company makes these services accessible to small businesses at a fraction of the cost. We are offering a one time discount for the next quarter to new customers." Easy.

5) Define what services you are selling. Create a list. Some are going to be good, some not. Figure out who can afford to buy your services (i.e., You can't sell anything to a failing business). Figure out why they would want to buy your services (i.e., How it makes them money). Figure out why they would they want to buy from you, instead of someone else. This is the same thing you'd do for clinical services. You find a town that has enough people to support a practice, ensure that you take the insurance that they have, offer the services they need, and offer it better than the alternatives.

I'm very interested in special education and have worked in early intervention, so I'm hoping for something that lets me design curriculum or manage services for young children with disabilities.
If I were in your shoes, I’d start by creating a pretty exhaustive list of companies and orgs that do this work, maybe broken up by for-profit, non-profit, and government.

Within the for-profit space, there are probably ‘legacy’ companies and start-ups. My guess is that you’ll have more success with start-up type companies that are actively growing and trying to create alternative products which will make them money, perhaps utilizing whatever the new developments are in this space.

This is where your ‘pitch’ as PsyDr described comes in. Research what they are doing and figure out how you can help them do it better. If you can’t demonstrate that you’d bring tangible value and contribute to on-going or new projects, then it might be best to move to other avenues.

And lastly, you’d probably be well served to think about how a company will want to utilize you. Does it make financial sense for companies in these areas to put you on salary indefinitely or pay for one-off consulting? If a company’s website mostly lists business, marketing, and engineering/IT types on their staff and like one or two people with actual content expertise, that might be a hint. Try to get a sense of industry norms so that you can both market and protect yourself.

Last edited:
Echo what others have said. If clinical work is your dream, why did you do developmental psych? I would also suggest clinical psych re-specialization. With your background, most of your stats and research courses will likely count and you can focus on clinical courses and training.

You could also do a clinical master’s although my hunch is you wouldn’t be satisfied with that.

Last edited:
I was a management consultant at a top firm in a previous life and helped with hiring. We love PhDs. It’s not for the faint of heart though, and will be tougher to break in the longer you are out of school. If you have any interest, PM me or let me know and I can answer any questions. You don’t need to have gone to business school to land those positions but you do need to be prepared to put in the work to prep for interviews.

if you’re interested in the early childhood/SPED/education piece, I would look at some non-profits like Communities in Schools. You can help with curriculum design and personnel management. The PhD really does overqualify you for a lot of those jobs though. Any interest in school psychology? EdS programs are usually 2-3 years and earn great money.

if you’re interested in the early childhood/SPED/education piece, I would look at some non-profits like Communities in Schools. You can help with curriculum design and personnel management. The PhD really does overqualify you for a lot of those jobs though. Any interest in school psychology? EdS programs are usually 2-3 years and earn great money.
Also, if you have any interest in education, you might look at large school districts or charter school systems. Some districts have departments like community engagement, DEI, etc that run district wide programs and initiatives. I know someone who is the Director of Grant Writing (might not be the exact title, but that's the idea) for a large district. I'm sure the "preferred" applicant has teaching or school-related experience, but it would be worth pitching your unique expertise. And (very much depending on the state), director positions in school districts can make more than you might think.