1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

indy vs metrohealth

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by hflessa, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hflessa

2+ Year Member

interested in fellowship/academics after residency. having a tough time deciding between these two. any suggestions?

2. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm a faculty member at Metro.

You need to go where you can live for 3 years, when a significant other can live for 3 years, and where you think you'll get along with the people.

Indiana is an older program and has more of a national reputation. Metro is about 15 years old, with the last 5 or so of those including the Cleveland Clinic. I liked the program enough to stay and was talking to Indiana about a faculty job.

I like the people at Metro, I liked how the program was structured. I liked how the helicopter service operated.

Academically, it varies from year, but it's usually about 50/50 academics/community. About 1-2 a year on average do a fellowship. The current graduating class has 3 going into fellowship (ultrasound, research, peds) and at least 6 going into academics.

You can PM me if you'd like more info and I can give you my email address.

mike

3. polygonal

polygonal Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I did an away rotation at Metro. It's a great program. There appear to be a lot of similarities between the two. They both have the busy county setting as well as the more academic setting. I only interviewed at Indiana so I can't be much more specific. I think either program would provide top notch training that would allow you to go anywhere.

I would echo Mike's advice. Go where ever you want to live and where you liked the people the most. I don't think you could go wrong with either place.

4. Dr.Evil1

Dr.Evil1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go to Cleveland, cause then you get to work with Mike. He is seriously hilarious, make him tell you the story about cutting the leads off his patient with trauma sheers or about playing basketball in the hood and getting the regulars kicked out.

Actually I don't know anything real about Indiana so I can't say much. Again the whole..go with your gut comment seems to work here.