Infectious disease epidemiology / parasitology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djb757

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, but have poked around the forum a bit before posting my specific question.

I've been looking at MPH/MS/MSPH programs in epidemiology that focus on infectious disease, with a sway towards the parasitic spread of diseases and those that are vector-borne or zoonotic in nature. I'm primarily looking into Tulane's MSPH in parasitology or MPH in epidemiology, Columbia's MS/MPH in epidemiology, John Hopkins' MPH in infectious disease, UCLA's MS/MPH in epidemiology, and Yale's MPH in infectious disease.

That said, I'm looking for a program that might best allow some combination of these research interests:
  • neglected infections of poverty in the US, as outlined by P. Hotez
  • combining qualitative and quantitative methods
  • how community ecology of vectors and reservoirs affects disease risk
I am basically looking for programs that allow one to focus on socioeconomic determinants of diseases such as Chagas, schistosomiasis, hookworm, ascariasis, and trichinellosis, while providing a strong base in quantitative but also qualitative research methods. Additionally, programs and departments that have some connections to the ecology departments aren't bad either. One of the reasons for looking into the parasitology program is if I eventually desire to get a PhD in disease ecology, parasitology borders the two disciplines nicely.

I was initially looking at sociomedical sciences/social & behavioral sciences concentrations, but I feel I'd rather have the research methodologies offered by an epidemiology program. It's just important to me and my research goals that methods and approaches are mixed, and desire a program that fosters that while having a strong focus on infectious disease.

So the question:

Are there programs from this list I am missing?
Are there programs from this list that are better than others?
How might a degree in epidemiology fare against one in parasitology? [I should add that if I do the parasitology program, I am to make up my electives in epidemiology]

Thank you very much for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way is to go South America, Brasil, Venezuela, Chile, Panama or Colombia, they have very good Parasitology experience and programs.

The other way is go in two road:
-Epidemiology/Public Health program with Infection Disease focus
-Microbiology training program with Parasitology focus

The last one is a little more difficult, but you could get something.

I practice in the Microbiology department, but th Parasitology experience n US is no too specific.

I can't speak for other departments, but what you described is basically what Yale's Epidemiology of Microbial Disease (EMD) division is all about.

Consider applying straight to the PhD if you've got the grades, GRE, and letters of rec for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

JARM: what schools in those countries would you recommend? and i am certainly leaning towards doing epi with a concentration in infectious disease coursework

Stories: thanks, I've been looking seriously at Yale, so this is nice to hear. I have the GPA, GRE, and letters of recommendation, but do you know anything about previous course requirements? I have biology and biostatistics, but lack chemistry and physics. Also, does Yale's program also incorporate any qualitative elements or focus on socioeconomic determinants in epi, or is it more microbiology-based?

Thanks!

Stories: thanks, I've been looking seriously at Yale, so this is nice to hear. I have the GPA, GRE, and letters of recommendation, but do you know anything about previous course requirements? I have biology and biostatistics, but lack chemistry and physics. Also, does Yale's program also incorporate any qualitative elements or focus on socioeconomic determinants in epi, or is it more microbiology-based?

Thanks!

I can't speak to the requirement of courses as I'm not in the EMD track, but I'm pretty sure most everyone was a biology or chemistry major, and those folks all have had biology, physics, chemistry. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker or not, though (might be?).

There's not much work on socioeonomic stuff unless you're in the policy or social behavioral tracks (which aren't EMD). It's lab-based.

I can't speak to the requirement of courses as I'm not in the EMD track, but I'm pretty sure most everyone was a biology or chemistry major, and those folks all have had biology, physics, chemistry. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker or not, though (might be?).

There's not much work on socioeonomic stuff unless you're in the policy or social behavioral tracks (which aren't EMD). It's lab-based.

Thanks, I've been looking through the EMD track, and am very interested in Durland Fish and Maria Ana Diuk-Wasser's spatial/landscape epi work. I also see the PhD has a parasitology concentration = awesome. I'm ok with the program being lab/fieldwork based. I'm aiming to get a summer research position in disease ecology, but do you think I should invest in taking some summer classes in chemistry and physics?

Thanks!

Thanks, I've been looking through the EMD track, and am very interested in Durland Fish and Maria Ana Diuk-Wasser's spatial/landscape epi work. I also see the PhD has a parasitology concentration = awesome. I'm ok with the program being lab/fieldwork based. I'm aiming to get a summer research position in disease ecology, but do you think I should invest in taking some summer classes in chemistry and physics?

Thanks!

More than that, get lab experience. That's probably the best thing you can do. The next best thing is to just ask :)

More than that, get lab experience. That's probably the best thing you can do. The next best thing is to just ask :)

Thanks, although, its slim pickings in NYC if you aren't interested in chronic disease or have a strong molecular background. I'm hoping to just find a lab where I can volunteer and gain some more basic lab techniques and experience on a somewhat-related issue.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Yale's EMD department, do you know of other master's level programs that offer a set concentration in infectious disease with some laboratory component? The only ones I've been able to find where you aren't required to have a pre-med background at Hopkins, Yale, Tulane, and London School of Trop. Med. My only concern is that while they're all good choices, Yale is the only one (correct me if wrong) that has actual disease ecologists on faculty, although Tulane's medical entomologist does some ecology too.

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

Thanks, although, its slim pickings in NYC if you aren't interested in chronic disease or have a strong molecular background. I'm hoping to just find a lab where I can volunteer and gain some more basic lab techniques and experience on a somewhat-related issue.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Yale's EMD department, do you know of other master's level programs that offer a set concentration in infectious disease with some laboratory component? The only ones I've been able to find where you aren't required to have a pre-med background at Hopkins, Yale, Tulane, and London School of Trop. Med. My only concern is that while they're all good choices, Yale is the only one (correct me if wrong) that has actual disease ecologists on faculty, although Tulane's medical entomologist does some ecology too.

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

I know UPitt also has a department similar to Yale's. Other than that, you might have to take a look at other degrees outside of public health and more towards ecology and zoology degrees.