Infectious disease Fellowship chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted941485

I’m a DO from a program in philly wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be at various programs. I need to be flexible so I’m applying broadly.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

1. Vanderbilt
2. Univ of Wisconsin Madison
3. Indiana University
4. UMKC
5. RWJ
6. Mount Sinai NYC
7. Northwestern
8. U Chicago
9. GW

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably make an appointment with the ID PD at your hospital and discuss with them. They can look over your application and give you more tailored advice. We don't know anything about your application.

What else would you want to know beyond COMLEX and research?

Members don't see this ad :)
What else would you want to know beyond COMLEX and research?
What those programs you listed consider important and do you have those creds...random people on SDN will not know this , ID is a small field and everyone,esp academics, knows everyone.
ID in and of itself is not competitive and if you apply to enough places you will get a spot...but are the ID programs you listed top 10 places? Those will still be difficult to get, esp as a DO.

What those programs you listed consider important and do you have those creds...random people on SDN will not know this , ID is a small field and everyone,esp academics, knows everyone.
ID in and of itself is not competitive and if you apply to enough places you will get a spot...but are the ID programs you listed top 10 places? Those will still be difficult to get, esp as a DO.

What else beyond research and comlex would they want? I’m really not sure their website isn’t exactly telling as to what additional “creds” they think are important. I guess I could cold call the programs on that list and find out.

Are any of them top 10? Is there a credible ranking system somewhere because I am not aware of one.

No kidding it’s tough esp as a DO.

Would anyone have any experience applying or even interviewing at any of said programs?

What else beyond research and comlex would they want? I’m really not sure their website isn’t exactly telling as to what additional “creds” they think are important. I guess I could cold call the programs on that list and find out.

Are any of them top 10? Is there a credible ranking system somewhere because I am not aware of one.

No kidding it’s tough esp as a DO.

Would anyone have any experience applying or even interviewing at any of said programs?
Really was my post that obtuse?
Who would know that information?
ID people!! These people went to school with each other, go to meetings with each other , and recommended residents that would do well at someone’s program!

I can tell you the character and culture of many different endocrine programs...who focuses on research vs clinical ...which are stronger for thyroid vs bone metabolism...programs that are DO or FMG friendly...so will the ID person...

For those programs you can look to see if those programs have DOs in them (have had them)... if not, probably not very friendly. Doesn’t mean you can’t apply, but don’t be surprised if you don’t get an invite.

Have you gone to or presented at IDSA? Or is there a local/regional chapter meeting? Those can be helpful in making contacts...often there is a reception for residents and fellows to be able to meet PDs.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a DO from a program in philly wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be at various programs. I need to be flexible so I’m applying broadly.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

1. Vanderbilt
2. Univ of Wisconsin Madison
3. Indiana University
4. UMKC
5. RWJ
6. Mount Sinai NYC
7. Northwestern
8. U Chicago
9. GW

As others have echoed without knowing more about your application only limited information can be given. Based on the pedigree and track record of these program listed above I can try to formulate an answer.

Vanderbilt, Sinai NYC, U Chicago, NW and then Univ Wisc all more academically focused, research focused and likely to be more competitive for you to obtain an interview. Take a look at their respective ID fellowship websites, are there DO's there? That will be a good starting factor.

Indiana is up and coming but not competitive, then GW, RWJ and UMKC. These based on the information you've told us baring any "red flags," on your application should be reasonable to obtain an interview and/or match.

Also check out the NRMP data last year for these respective programs to see if each filled all of their spots.

Good luck!